Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, a bit of bad news on this update.

I have a V3 battery. It has been rock solid since I got the car. Very small deviations from 265 miles of range at 100% SOC. I just charged to 100% after I got home and I've lost almost 5 miles of range.
Screenshot_20200315-053907.png

Screenshot_20200315-053304.png

I have a V3 battery. It has been rock solid since I got the car. Very small deviations from 265 miles of range at 100% SOC. I just charged to 100% after I got home and I've lost almost 5 miles of range.View attachment 521957

View attachment 521955
Unlikely that your battery has changed. More likely that the battery capacity algorithm or some other variable (there are hundreds) changed.

Reactions: kavyboy
Have you figured out that there are hundreds of variables that can affect your displayed range on a single charge?
Well aware of that. Definitely going to continue to log. I'm also going to hook up my data logging cable and compare the battery cell values I captured before the update to afterwards. All I'm doing here is providing feedback so people with older vehicles can make educated decisions when applying new firmware. As time goes on, support and care for our vehicles is going to deteriorate. We need to know when it's time to cut the cord.

Reactions: aerodyne
Well aware of that. Definitely going to continue to log. I'm also going to hook up my data logging cable and compare the battery cell values I captured before the update to afterwards. All I'm doing here is providing feedback so people with older vehicles can make educated decisions when applying new firmware. As time goes on, support and care for our vehicles is going to deteriorate. We need to know when it's time to cut the cord.
On the one hand you complain that support will be deteriorating over time but then you complain that you don't want to apply updates. You seem to assume that updates will damage the car.
I appreciate the updates even when they change a beloved "feature". Some people were upset that the Supercharge rate became more conservative. To me, this is Tesla looking out for out batteries. If a slower Supercharge rate will make the battery last longer, that's a good thing. I'll never stop accepting updates.

On the one hand you complain that support will be deteriorating over time but then you complain that you don't want to apply updates. You seem to assume that updates will damage the car.
I appreciate the updates even when they change a beloved "feature". Some people were upset that the Supercharge rate became more conservative. To me, this is Tesla looking out for out batteries. If a slower Supercharge rate will make the battery last longer, that's a good thing. I'll never stop accepting updates.
Updates have most certainly caused significant issues with my car as well as many other P90DL and P85DL owners. I will stop accepting updates at some point.

I have a V3 battery. It has been rock solid since I got the car. Very small deviations from 265 miles of range at 100% SOC. I just charged to 100% after I got home and I've lost almost 5 miles of range.View attachment 521957

View attachment 521955

Is this the first time you've charged over 90% for a while? There was that update after the mysterious fire in China where people saw their range drop. Mine didn't, but the first time I charged to 95% it dropped about 8 miles of range (last October). It's stayed there ever since. I had zero degradation before that.

On the same trip after the drop I had a 180 mile leg that was mostly flat, almost no wind, steady speed for most of it, and at the end of it the miles used plus estimated miles remaining was my old 90%. The Wh/Mi was right at 285 for that leg. I'd have to run the battery down to essentially zero in good driving conditions to know for sure.

I haven't been offered the new upgrade yet, but my concern is that perhaps Tesla will set aside more of the battery as a reserve. Thus making the battery last longer. I've got a couple years left on the warranty, and 200k miles on the battery. I'd kind of like it to fail before the end of the warranty! That might be a reason to not upgrade. But, I've taken every upgrade they've offered me. Probably do it again.

Here is a list of capacity of the batteries from abrp

TL;DR

Battery Code Tesla Model Estimated Usable Capacity 10 kWh -> 50 kWh charge time
BT37 3 Long Range 72.8 kWh 23 min
BT60 S60 56.3 kWh 42 min
BT70 S70 65.7 kWh 33 min
BT85 S85 73.4 kWh 27 min
BTX4 S/X90 79.8 kWh 23 min
BTX5 S/X75 71.6 kWh27 min
BTX6 S/X100 95.7 kWh 20 min
BTX8 Rare S/X75 25 min