Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is new...

DA54CDC2-C7CD-4674-85C3-36C666182CDF.jpeg

in the Netherlands also some user reported this. On my S85 I have never seen this so I am curious what will happen when I go on a long journey end of the month. I have never experience the Tesla warming up going to a SuC, I have logged numerous trips via scan my tesla and no such behaviour was observed for my car.

I am curious, what kind of speeds did you achieve while at the SuC for this session?

in the Netherlands also some user reported this. On my S85 I have never seen this so I am curious what will happen when I go on a long journey end of the month. I have never experience the Tesla warming up going to a SuC, I have logged numerous trips via scan my tesla and no such behaviour was observed for my car.

A little history: If you Navigate to superchargers the actual warming of the battery happens when the car is within about 15 minutes of the supercharger. Without looking up the facts this has been going on for 6 or 9 months? So this is not new. The battery will be warmed if the car battery is cold, or not warm enough to charge at high rates without damaging the battery. The facts are here in TMC somewhere; not going to dig them up at the moment, but of the top of my head that is about 25 degrees C ?

Of course the battery will still be warmed just driving the car in cold temperatures without a navigate to supercharger destination, and if the car is cold and you plug into the supercharger the battery warmer is turned on and you can still see this in your app.

So if you have been driving the car on long distances, that is over 45 minutes of driving, or if you live in a warmer climate it probably won't need to warm the battery before supercharging, and therefore won't show the notification.

I am curious, what kind of speeds did you achieve while at the SuC for this session?

Don't think just seeing this popup on the dash means the car now charges at the same rate as a model 3. :)
The colder the car battery the more it makes a difference, but me reporting my speeds on the latest supercharging with the notification is irrelevant. With my 125,000 km car if the battery is warmed sufficiently I now get a factor (charge rate + State of charge) of 110-115.

A colder car will not even get a factor of 90, (ie: 30% SOC 60 kW) whether the notification shows or not, but warming the battery before hand definitely speeds things up, but I wouldn't want to wager what number to put on this: 10-20% faster for the first 10-15 minutes of supercharging? After supercharging for 15 minutes the heat from the movement of electrons trumps the heat in the coolant from the battery warmer, so after 15 minutes it wouldn't matter if you went through the whole process of navigate to supercharger or not (again guessing on the 15 minute time; no actual data to back it up)

A colder car will not even get a factor of 90, (ie: 30% SOC 60 kW) whether the notification shows or not, but warming the battery before hand definitely speeds things up, but I wouldn't want to wager what number to put on this

I can reliably get our 2013 Tesla S85 to charge at (110 - SOC%) = kW , meaning at 30% SOC charging at 80 kW if I pre-condition the battery using Bjorn Nylands noted method, namely, hard acceleration for 5 seconds, full regen, repeat for 5 minutes prior to supercharging. The battery cooling fans come on full blast above 60% SOC until I unplug. This is an "A" pack, the original battery capped at 90 kW peak charge rate, which I do see if I plug in a hot battery at 20% SOC.

My wife does not use this method and routinely sees (80-SOC%) = kW, meaning 50 kW at 30% SOC, even if she navigates to the supercharger. No cooling fans.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Soooo, newly updated to 20.1, from 4.1. Thanks SeC!/s

Browser still inop, despite wifi and all the tricks.

Upon rebooting MCU1, lights flash extensively.

Good news, no charge gate, range back in the range of other cars..

What possessed them to change the Easter eggs? NLA through the T logo. Now have to go to Toybox.

Miss my sparkles...