Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would appreciate some feedback on upgrading my 2015 Tesla S 85 which has about 20,00 miles on it. It runs perfectly and looks like new.

As our old Tesla cars cannot take advantage of all the new SW updates I have been thinking about upgrading to a new Tesla S. I am going back and forth about how long to wait before getting a new one. Should I wait until they have the new battery in all Tesla cars? I heard that they are also putting new sensors.

Also has anyone traded-in their AP1 car to Tesla? Will I get a better deal with Carmax, Carvana or private sale?

As I am getting older I feel that FSD, once it become robust, would improve safety.

Thanks for your input in advance.
Is FSD the feature you're looking for or are there other things?

Nobody knows if the current hardware suite will suffice for FSD. And who knows, GM may be first!
My car is same vintage as yours and I'm not in any hurry to replace it.

• Helpful
Reactions: RobK
Yeah, I don't think I'd want to upgrade until at least the 4680 cells make it in. Get the greater range, the faster charging and hopefully less worries. Everything else is gravy (although FSD would be nice if they really work it out).

I agree. the new battery appears to have lots of potential. Hopefully there won't be any more humming after charging.

Do you know if these new batteries are installed in any model of Tesla cars now?

I would appreciate some feedback on upgrading my 2015 Tesla S 85 which has about 20,00 miles on it. It runs perfectly and looks like new.

As our old Tesla cars cannot take advantage of all the new SW updates I have been thinking about upgrading to a new Tesla S. I am going back and forth about how long to wait before getting a new one. Should I wait until they have the new battery in all Tesla cars? I heard that they are also putting new sensors.

Also has anyone traded-in their AP1 car to Tesla? Will I get a better deal with Carmax, Carvana or private sale?

As I am getting older I feel that FSD, once it become robust, would improve safety.

MCU2 is available now for older cars, which will give you some upgrade, but your car doesn't have the sensor suite to do everything.

If you want to get the most for your car, selling it privately is the best bet. There is also an auction website now run by YouTube car reviewer Doug DeMuro called Cars and Bids. They take a commission, but cars tend to get a good price on there.

One advantage your car has over newer Model Ss is the free supercharging for life transferable to a new owner.

I agree. the new battery appears to have lots of potential. Hopefully there won't be any more humming after charging.

Do you know if these new batteries are installed in any model of Tesla cars now?

I believe on battery day they said they only had about 10,000 of these larger cells which means they are still testing them. They will probably not be ready for production for at least another 4-6 months. Quite possibly longer. It takes a long time to get new battery designs from the lab into production.

One thing they were not clear about with the new design was they said the new battery pack would become a structural element of the car. If that's the case, will the battery pack be integrated into the chassis of the car in such a way that it can't be removed in the case of a pack failure?

• Helpful
I've read that when Tesla takes in a pre-2017 car in trade, they remove the free supercharging from the car before reselling it, but I think people who buy private party can keep it.

I know islandbay here on the forum bought a late 2016 Model X private party and kept the free supercharging. He road trips a lot so it's worthwhile to him.

Reactions: SmartElectric

I think this is entirely subjective and it very much depends on your needs and preferences. I’m on my second performance model S and while Tesla continues to launch updates that make the car more awesome over time, I’m at this point ready for a bigger redesign and have zero interest in getting a Raven because of that. In terms of autopilot I’m super excited about the latest developments but honestly, I’m a car guy and I quite enjoy driving my Model S around, so highway autopilot (which has been pretty solid ever since AP1) is enough for me. Range wise my daily commute is ~25 miles and because of COVID these days I only work from home anyway, though I do admit that in family trips (particularly when traveling to snowy locations) I do wish my car had more range.

I’m personally eagerly waiting for the redesign and, as long as they increase performance a bit more to close the gap, I will trade-in my P85D for a Long Range as soon as it is available :)

• Helpful
unless you have a P85DL the current long range already does 0-60 in 3.7. Personally I'd sacrifice that .5 second for 150 miles more than my current P85D but I'm going to hold out for a used plaid in a couple years.

I have a fully optioned P85D+ and am also holding out for a used Plaid in a couple of years when my Tesla Extended Service Plan expires and FSD becomes a proven reality. In the meantime our 's Ludicrous performance and AP1 are just as good or better than my neighbor's 2017 with AP2 and all the available MCU / FSD hardware. Sure longer range would be better on longer road trips but we've never had issues finding Superchargers or Tesla Destination chargers on our multi-state road trips... which include FREE Supercharging.

Until FSD & Plaid arrive, I'm still loving my P85D+ even after getting an 24-hours "Extended Test Drive" of a (non-Raven) P100D 2 years ago. The P100D did have longer range and a smoother ride... but it felt "floaty" instead of "planted" like my P85D+ with Plus Suspension... and I missed our venting sunroof and Next Generation (Recaro)front and rear seats. The only thing I might do is upgrade to MCU2 since my MCU1 crashes randomly and is getting progressively slower... but waiting for the Sirius satellite / FM parts to become available so it all can get done on one Service Center appointment.

Although my 85D is not fully optioned, I agree with the above. Like my suspension, seats and sun roof. Range has not been a problem, and will be less of a issue as charging stations are added.

SuC speed reduction is noticable, but FUSC takes the sting out of that.

Buying used let me still have a near new car with a better warranty, while saving for a plaid or CT. Will have to pick one, however..."soon"

On the topic more, 6 weeks since I ordered the daughter board, still happy with 2020.20.1

I really don't see what I am missing with the newer updates.

I just might cancel, as I am not hearing that the browser is much better with the new board. Only have occasional glitches with the old emmc.

Also starting to wonder if the failures have been increasing because of new updates.

My screens have always rebooted occasionally when I'm out running errands and get back in the car. Now if the car has been sitting a short time one screen or the other almost always reboots when I get back in the car. I think the updates are getting too big for the memory or processor in the old MCU1s.

I too am thinking about upgrading when the radio module becomes available for the MCU2 upgrade. I looked at what it would take to install the radio for MCU2 on my own and while it's up to my skills, I just don't have the time to mess with it.

Update to my original post..

I received a "Trade-in-value" quote of $33,700 from Tesla.
According to KBB the private sale estimate on this 2015 Tesla S85 with 20,947 miles is in the range of $42,257 and $48,326
The Tesla estimate was received within a day. I did not have to fill out lot of stuff as it was available to them.
I might try Carmax and/or Carvana to see what kind of offer they will make.
Based on the numbers it might be more advantageous to sell the car on my own. Granted it might take few weeks and the usual inconvenience associated with car sale.

Update to my original post..

I received a "Trade-in-value" quote of $33,700 from Tesla.
According to KBB the private sale estimate on this 2015 Tesla S85 with 20,947 miles is in the range of $42,257 and $48,326
The Tesla estimate was received within a day. I did not have to fill out lot of stuff as it was available to them.
I might try Carmax and/or Carvana to see what kind of offer they will make.
Based on the numbers it might be more advantageous to sell the car on my own. Granted it might take few weeks and the usual inconvenience associated with car sale.

Good data, I have similar car but with 50% more miles now. When I bought it from Tesla used 2 years ago with 19k on the clock it cost me 58,000 USD, less tax.

My guess on current PP sale price for my car was mid 40's. I have not heard of anyone getting a better trade in price from Tesla than the sources you mention.

I personally would pay top $$$$$ for a clean Tesla privately owned with all records, and the ability to check on the battery state etc, and the ability to maintain FUSC. Buying used from Tesla now, with no pictures and no return policy is a real pig in a poke. not to mention no free connectivity or FUSC.

I think these facts would support you getting a high price for your car from a PP.

unless you have a P85DL the current long range already does 0-60 in 3.7. Personally I'd sacrifice that .5 second for 150 miles more than my current P85D but I'm going to hold out for a used plaid in a couple years.

I test drove one right before the COVID lockdown started and I still found myself wanting the extra oomph that my P85D has. The thing is, I only rarely wish I had the extra range (family trips only) but the P’s off-the-line power puts a smile on my face almost on a daily basis :)

I have only logged 1-2 min out of chill mode since purchase, enough to validate the 4.2 sec 0-60 time. I find the instant torque, even in chill, is enough to deal with almost any freeway situation.

Getting used to the chill mode also reduces the chance of getting "P" envy. If I get passed enough by M3's with the latest update that might change...

Installing 2020.44.10, I’ll post an update when complete

788BD3D1-31B0-4ACA-91A3-D70333AD410B.jpeg