Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with the update, was there any change to how the air suspension heights are controlled? (Hopefully reverted back to how it was and not needing to press 'Keep' every 2 mins).
Mine doesn't do that. I set it to Low always and it just stays there.

The BT priority is great as my wife's phone typically takes over as soon as we sit in the car.

I love the window vent, however going up would be just as useful. A couple of days ago when my wife had taken the car, I got a notification that the window was open. This was while the car was parked after she left the car and went to some store. We don't almost never ever open the windows, so its odd how it was open, especially when leaving the car. It would have been nice to be able to close the window from the app.

Last edited:
..... It would have been nice to be able to close the window from the app.

They will not allow you to do that, due to safety issues. A dog or child might be in the car and the owner would not know they are closing it on the tongue that just got stuck out the 1 inch vent hole.

But if one is sure they will never use it there should be a way to lock the window vent feature out to prevent inadvertent openings like you had.

Because there isn't much to tweak (AP1)
Oh, there is a lot to repair for AP1, at least in Europe.
The Camera reads speed limits correctly and the IC displays the limit correctly. Nevertheless, long pulling the AP lever sets whatever is in the maps or just makes up some numbers. This leads to sudden acceleration in very unsuitable situations.
Long pulling to take over the displayed speed limit is completely broken and useless and very dangerous. (Since 2019.28 or 2019.32)

Example: we have dynamic speed limits that adjust to traffic situation. Normal is 80, with heavy traffic it's 60. km/h of course. 80 is OK for AP to accept, but when 60 is recognized and displayed the car sometimes sets 150 and accelerates immediately.

Reactions: oaito

Example: we have dynamic speed limits that adjust to traffic situation. Normal is 80, with heavy traffic it's 60. km/h of course. 80 is OK for AP to accept, but when 60 is recognized and displayed the car sometimes sets 150 and accelerates immediately.
I have had situations with the recent SW ver. 36.11 that the camera reads (LED matrix) speed limit 50km/h to 80km/h and accelerates accordingly.

The Camera reads speed limits correctly and the IC displays the limit correctly. Nevertheless, long pulling the AP lever sets whatever is in the maps or just makes up some numbers. This leads to sudden acceleration in very unsuitable situations.
Long pulling to take over the displayed speed limit is completely broken and useless and very dangerous. (Since 2019.28 or 2019.32)

I have had situations with the recent SW ver. 36.11 that the camera reads (LED matrix) speed limit 50km/h to 80km/h and accelerates accordingly.

Unfortunately the chances of AP1 having improvements are slim to none. AP1 was developed by MobileEye and Tesla severed their relationship with them in 2016 (and then they were bought out by Intel in 2017 and hence the change to AP2 at the same time) so there wont ever be any more partnership/development for the platform in our car. That is why I said "Because there isn't much to tweak (AP1)" is because Tesla cant.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the chances of AP1 having improvements are slim to none. AP1 was developed by MobileEye and Tesla severed their relationship with them in 2016 (and then they were bought out by Intel in 2017 and hence the change to AP2 at the same time) so there wont ever be any more partnership/development for the platform in our car. That is why I said "Because there isn't much to tweak (AP1)" is because Tesla cant.
Setting the displayed speed from the IC worked perfectly well until 2019.28.x or 2019.32.x. It's not about Tesla liking MobileEye or not.

Reactions: oaito
... is because Tesla cant.
Well begin 2020, they did change AP1 behaviour to comply to some shady new EU regulation and really nerfed it: EU AP1 cannot take turns too sharp anymore and lane changes instead of being immediate now wait 2 sec before proceeding, with a max of 5 sec or so to complete or it aborts.

I believe Tesla has no control on the MobilEye image processing (and its capabilities), but Tesla do manage the way AP1 uses that information, so all the navigation logic. But I could be wrong of course.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I got 2020.40.9.2 on Friday. One thing happened I've never seen before, the car was locked after the update. I never lock the car in the garage. When I went out to check on the update and unplug the car (I have to unplug it overnight after an update), I found the car was locked. I didn't have the key, but happened to be carrying my phone which I normally never do around the house. I used the app to unlock the car for the first time.

I got 2020.40.9.2 on Friday. One thing happened I've never seen before, the car was locked after the update. I never lock the car in the garage. When I went out to check on the update and unplug the car (I have to unplug it overnight after an update), I found the car was locked. I didn't have the key, but happened to be carrying my phone which I normally never do around the house. I used the app to unlock the car for the first time.
Mine actually did the very same thing. And another weird thing it cut my charge rate in half after the update. I unplugged and plugged back in and went straight back to 40amps and hasn’t had the issue since. I don’t usually have the car plugged in at home when we do the updates so maybe this is normal. The locking thing hasn’t ever happened before.

Mine actually did the very same thing. And another weird thing it cut my charge rate in half after the update. I unplugged and plugged back in and went straight back to 40amps and hasn’t had the issue since. I don’t usually have the car plugged in at home when we do the updates so maybe this is normal. The locking thing hasn’t ever happened before.

About 18 months ago the car quit going to sleep immediately after an update. I tried many things to reset the behavior, but stumbled upon the solution of unplugging the car and leaving it that way for about 12 hours. Then it resets and will start going back to sleep again.

Normally the car is plugged in at home. It doesn't make much difference in warmer weather, but in the winter I pre-heat the car before leaving the house.

A few updates back they came up for a work around for the mirror unfold problem I've had for years. The mirrors unfolded in the garage when the car was there for more than 24 hours. They did a workaround fix where the mirrors refold when I start backing the car out of the garage and they are unfolded, but it doesn't work all the time. Now they unfold almost all the time within a few hours of getting home.

Back in September and October 2019 after installing 2019.32.1 and 2019.32.11.1 my car was unlocked after installing the update. Back then I used to start the update and leave and lock the car while the 2min countdown was running.

BR! Oaito.

Update can do some weird things. It's better that the car locked itself in the garage than unlocked itself on the street or something.

Talk about being behind the curve - after reading the last couple of posts, I went out this morning to check my SW and NAV versions (2020.36.3.1 and NA-2020.12-11866 respectively). But apparently going to the Software page in the car triggered something, because now when I check the app for the car's temp, I see that its downloading 2020.36.11!