Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talk about being behind the curve - after reading the last couple of posts, I went out this morning to check my SW and NAV versions (2020.36.3.1 and NA-2020.12-11866 respectively). But apparently going to the Software page in the car triggered something, because now when I check the app for the car's temp, I see that its downloading 2020.36.11!
Same thing happened to me when I check the software page for my nav version. I have 36.11 ready to install, but I've been dismissing it for a week. I searched the forum and it doesn't appear to offer anything useful and there are several reports of it hanging min-installation. Unless I'm missing something, this update serves no useful purpose, as has been the case for almost every update in the last 3 years.

Reactions: kavyboy
Talk about being behind the curve - after reading the last couple of posts, I went out this morning to check my SW and NAV versions (2020.36.3.1 and NA-2020.12-11866 respectively). But apparently going to the Software page in the car triggered something, because now when I check the app for the car's temp, I see that its downloading 2020.36.11!

I am even further behind, see signature.

Still no compelling reason to update beyond the Emmc message screen.

Good Morning. As the audience of this forum appears to be thoughtful and mature I thought I would solicit some input on my theory.

As you know one can order Model S (Plaid) now that has an estimated range of 520+ miles. I am assuming that Tesla will accomplish this by using their new batteries. If this is true then will the Tesla S (Long Range) in late 2021 also get 520+ miles range. One can argue that the Long Range model S may get higher range as it will not have the weight penalty of 3rd. motor.

If my hypothesis proves correct then it can be a game changer for Tesla as it will have longer range than most of the ICE cars. Hopefully by Q3 2021 we should have a robust FSD too.

Good Morning. As the audience of this forum appears to be thoughtful and mature I thought I would solicit some input on my theory.

As you know one can order Model S (Plaid) now that has an estimated range of 520+ miles. I am assuming that Tesla will accomplish this by using their new batteries. If this is true then will the Tesla S (Long Range) in late 2021 also get 520+ miles range. One can argue that the Long Range model S may get higher range as it will not have the weight penalty of 3rd. motor.

If my hypothesis proves correct then it can be a game changer for Tesla as it will have longer range than most of the ICE cars. Hopefully by Q3 2021 we should have a robust FSD too.

Your hypothesis makes total sense. Highly probable that the battery packs themselves will be the same across all Model S's. Assembly line related costs are lower when there are fewer options plus its consistent with todays new S's. Same packs across the board

Your hypothesis makes total sense. Highly probable that the battery packs themselves will be the same across all Model S's. Assembly line related costs are lower when there are fewer options plus its consistent with todays new S's. Same packs across the board

Then perhaps the Roadster would also have the same cells and structural pack?

If the above is true, I'd add another 18 months to the delivery dates of all, to sinc. with "Elon time"

Anyone with the update, was there any change to how the air suspension heights are controlled? (Hopefully reverted back to how it was and not needing to press 'Keep' every 2 mins).
I have not noticed any yet. They did change the UI (new height slider), made "auto raise at this location" opt-in vs on by default when raising, and hid jack mode in the service menu vs leaving it where it made sense (very high/jack mode go hand-in-hand when raising the car; nice to have them right there together).

Just sharing my AP1 experiences so far. I’m on .36.11 and my MCU is still responsive despite having its original eMMC. This is probably due to the low mileage. My car was probably one of the last that received a 3G card so in a year it’ll be without connectivity here in the Netherlands as the provider will shut down 3G at the end of 2021. Will use this year to think on upgrading to MCU2.
That shouldn't force you to upgrade to MCU2. Two months ago, I had my MCU1's 3G modem replaced with LTE for 1/5 the price of MCU2. (US $500 vs $2500). They also did the eMMC daughtercard proactively without additional labor fees.

Had I known they were extending the eMMC warranty a month later, I might have waited until it failed. I suspect when 3G is shut off, Tesla will offer a cheap LTE upgrade, since they want the cars to remain connected.

Reactions: SmartElectric

Excellent point. I was ready to buy a new Model S in early 2021 but the 520+ mile potential by Q3 makes me wonder if it would be prudent to wait a bit. This reminds me of the dilemma we faced buying PCs in 1980s. Every year the PCs would get faster with more memory and disc space. Hopefully Tesla HW/SW would plateau soon.

And the base price on the plaid is about $133k. Not something I'll be budgeting for in the near (or far) future, unless I win the lottery.

I have late 2014 AP1 car delivered December 2014... one of the first AP1 cars

currently on
2020.36.3.1 11-September-2020
all updates have been installed and work fine... this is actually one of the longest periods without a new update that I can remember. Perhaps they have stopped updating my version... have not had issues with prior updates.

I have late 2014 AP1 car delivered December 2014... one of the first AP1 cars

currently on
2020.36.3.1 11-September-2020
all updates have been installed and work fine... this is actually one of the longest periods without a new update that I can remember. Perhaps they have stopped updating my version... have not had issues with prior updates.

My Nov '14 AP1 build was on 2020.36.3.1, got 2020.36.11 sometime in October, and 2020.40.9.2 less than 2 weeks ago. So updates are coming, just slowly.

I suspect when 3G is shut off, Tesla will offer a cheap LTE upgrade, since they want the cars to remain connected.

If that were the case (like they lowered the price of the CCS retrofit for older Model S from € 499 to € 299) I would reconsider. For now I’ll just wait for MCU2 with 5G as I’m not in a rush. Next week the CCS retrofit is installed so I have more fast charging options at my disposal when making longer trips.