Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
installed .30 yesterday. should begin my roadtrip back to denver from florida next week so should have some before and after supercharging data from when I came down here at the beginning of dec. P85D

Is your P85D:
  1. MCU1 or MCU2 ?
  2. Ludicrous or Insane?
I'm curious since I upgraded our Ludicrous 2015 P85D to MCU2 a couple of weeks ago... and got the 2020.48.30 update yesterday... but haven't had a chance to drain our battery to ~ 10% then Supercharge and note kW recharge rates.

Reactions: SmartElectric
So, today I have recorded limited SuC data that although ancedotal, does not indicate speeds have increased due to the update 2020.48.12.1 for my 85 pack.

All data taken from SMT real time which gives an extra significant figure, and does not round up like the car...

OAT about 60 Deg F. Unpaired stall, but SuC nearly full. Navigated to SuC, pack was heated per SMT

SoC/Kw/pack temperature

50/49/86 deg F
55/42/90 deg F
60/38/91.5 deg F
65/34/92.7 deg F

So, today I have recorded limited SuC data that although ancedotal, does not indicate speeds have increased due to the update 2020.48.12.1 for my 85 pack.

All data taken from SMT real time which gives an extra significant figure, and does not round up like the car...

OAT about 60 Deg F. Unpaired stall, but SuC nearly full. Navigated to SuC, pack was heated per SMT

SoC/Kw/pack temperature

50/49/86 deg F
55/42/90 deg F
60/38/91.5 deg F
65/34/92.7 deg F
Im pretty much the same on my 2014. Past 50% my charge rate usually drops and stays in the 30's until reaching 90%. So SLOW

It will be interesting to see how Tesla responds to the recent NHTSA recall report on the failure of MCU1 in older S & X vehicles. IMHO Tesla should provide us with a discounted upgrade path to MCU2 for people who would like that.

Our 2015 S85 has not experienced any issues so far but I would be willing to upgrade to MCU2 (and LTE) if the price is right.

Just installed 2020.48.13 to my MS.
I’m not at home, so haven’t checked the release notes yet.

Anyone heard of this release?

4051136.jpg

599 days since the last install. Not sure if Tesla just never force installed or if leaving the rear door handle fuse unplugged prevented the update.

View attachment 532246

877 since last install. Still on 2018.28.5. In car services still all work except live supercharger status. Of course I don't have app access. I do still have 240 miles of range at 117K miles (down from 253 when new), full supercharging speed, and nearly the same power I had when I did the Ludicrous upgrade at 17K miles.

877 since last install. Still on 2018.28.5. In car services still all work except live supercharger status. Of course I don't have app access. I do still have 240 miles of range at 117K miles (down from 253 when new), full supercharging speed, and nearly the same power I had when I did the Ludicrous upgrade at 17K miles.

You'll be screwed when your MCU dies. Don't think they'll put V8 back in for you :)

probably the eMMC will last longer without all those updates
Maybe yes; maybe no. Each update is one read/write cycle, but supposedly Tesla cut down on the logging some time after V8.
I also read somewhere (here or the Tesla.com forum) that they could deny warranty replacement of the emmc module claiming it failed prematurely without the updates which cut down on logging.

I am reconsidering my intention to upgrade to MCU2. My eMMC is not worn out and despite the browser the system works well enough for my taste. It needs an LTE card next year as 3G is cancelled next year but when there is a recall it might be cheaper to upgrade both at the same time. The benefits of MCU2 for us AP1 users are slim so why bother? If it ain't broken...

Apparently, in the U.S. AT&T is phasing out the 3G network by February 2022. I wonder what would happen then to the cars still with 3G chip? Will they be forced to pay to upgrade to 4G (as it's the case now) or Tesla will offer free upgrade in order to maintain the connectivity to monitor those cars?

Anyone?

Apparently, in the U.S. AT&T is phasing out the 3G network by February 2022. I wonder what would happen then to the cars still with 3G chip? Will they be forced to pay to upgrade to 4G (as it's the case now) or Tesla will offer free upgrade in order to maintain the connectivity to monitor those cars?

Anyone?
Made-up Tesla quote: "We'll burn that bridge when we get to it."