Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2015 S 70D AP1 and installed 12.1.1 today. Scary bad experience on TACC, it kep misidentifying a tractor trailer as two cars colliding and slamming on the brakes hard in heavy traffic (luckily no one following too close). It happened 5 times in 10km then we people started being closer behind me I stopped using it. Will be watching and waiting for the next update. Kind of regret pushing the updated button when I got to work because up until now TACC/AP have been mostly really good for me. After today I'm a bit gun-shy of it, especially in my daily rush hour commute.

2015 S 70D AP1 and installed 12.1.1 today. Scary bad experience on TACC, it kep misidentifying a tractor trailer as two cars colliding and slamming on the brakes hard in heavy traffic (luckily no one following too close). It happened 5 times in 10km then we people started being closer behind me I stopped using it. Will be watching and waiting for the next update. Kind of regret pushing the updated button when I got to work because up until now TACC/AP have been mostly really good for me. After today I'm a bit gun-shy of it, especially in my daily rush hour commute.
Darn. Everyone said 2019.12.1.1 was solid. Dog mode (insert avatar jokes here), not resetting TACC speed after Autosteer cancel, and the possibility of a tiny increase in charging speed tempted me and i installed.

Hope I don't regret it tomorrow. I use TACC almost constantly while driving...

Spring 2015 S85D with AP1 here. Updated last night to 2019.12.1.1 after being stuck on 2018.50.6 since January. I haven't driven it yet or even looked at the release notes. My work commute involves about 20 freeway miles so I should have some experience with TACC behavior later this afternoon. I like the bit BerTX mentioned about not resetting TACC speed after autosteer cancel. That "feature" was an unpleasant surprise to me when it appeared late last year and if Tesla has reconsidered then I consider that good news.

This will be only my second update, so excuse the newbie question .....

Where can I find the release notes BEFORE I decide to update?
You really can't. First, you currently can't be absolutely certain what version you are getting. Then, what features you get will depend on the hardware you have.

The current push is for build 2019.12.1.1, and that is likely what you would be getting at the moment. There are threads on that build which include the release notes. I don't remember if they are listed in this thread.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
......snip...... I’m thinking all hope is lost for any AP1 improvements and AP1 will just be empty promises. Hopefully the same doesn’t happen to AP2 folks when something new and shiny comes out.
history teaches us that the only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history. Guilty as charged. Those of us who enjoyed AP1, then switch to ap2, in part based on AP2 claimed features (then began the 1½yr wait), now realize that as things progress, it won't look pretty for AP2 users - especially when V9 forever began to try to make the UI more like model 3's. apologies in advance to those that find them fightin' words. Great minds will disagree.

Anyone test out the pre-heat battery for super charging? Anyone notice faster charge times?

Or higher charge rates? Anyone?

I have done it twice, that is navigate to a supercharger using navigation, and have not noticed any difference, but then I have not documented the rate at particular state of charges previously to compare, or have any app or canbus dongles for data to download to compare. if it is say a 5% or 10% faster supercharge difference I don't think anyone would be able to tell objectively. I have seen 119 kW at low SOC before, so that can't get any better with the current superchargers, but maybe it would hold that charge rate for a longer period of time? But then if the battery wasn't warm enough it would not charge at a maximum rate to start, so I can't see how preheating it would make a difference in that case, as the battery does heat as it charges, yes?

Without downloading supercharging data through some app someone would need to supercharge from say 30% to 80% once with using preheat and once without, in the same ambient air temperature, driving the same distance before supercharging, using the same supercharger in both cases and compare the times. I would love to see those times quicker by 25% as Tesla suggests; wish I had the time to do the experiment.

But I will have another 12 hour drive in the car tomorrow with 3 supercharging sessions, what I can do is use preheat and check the charge rate at various SoC points and see if they are improved based on the red line (average) in this graph, as my car previously charged at a rate bang-on the red line.

Screen Shot 2019-05-04 at 4.18.14 AM.png

After a couple of days I'm not really seeing much improvement in Autopilot. Still gets confused by some freeway exit ramps. I haven't seen any sudden inappropriate braking. I'm glad they fixed the behavior of TACC when canceling Autosteer, that's a big win.

At this point I feel like AP1 is about as good as it's going to get, either due to limitations of hardware, limitations of software team resources, or probably both. And I'm fine with that. TACC is very useful as it is. Autosteer works pretty well for steady-state highway cruising, it just requires a lot of minding in denser traffic.

Did something change with the traffic display on the navigation map? Yesterday I think I saw a wider range of colors - orange for slow traffic, bright red for very slow, and dark red for almost totally stopped? Not sure if that's new or if I just noticed it for the first time.