Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a couple days on 2019.20.2.1, after updating from 2016.16.2. I have noticed a couple of times if I'm on AP, overtaking a vehicle that is very close to the lane marking (or even over the line!), my car (S85D) will shift slightly within its lane to make more clearance. It happens before getting to the slower vehicle, just before the point where I would take over manual control to either scoot over or slow down. Never noticed it doing that before, although reading a few posts claiming improved AP1 behavior might have influenced my recollections in some way.

No changes noticed in charging behavior, range, or performance.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
The reddit poster even managed to capture a picture of the higher charge rate on his '14 85D. I'm refraining from charging over the next couple days to get to a low SoC to see if I can replicate and see how long the higher rates are sustained.

myzVXcs.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Galve2000
Comment from a noob (so please be gentle). I just bought a 2016 75D (haven't taken delivery yet), but I can't stop reading various threads on this forum to educate myself about the car. :)

Having read 98% of the posts on this specific thread about AP1, I feel as if I won't even bother trying to use it. :)

Also this boggles my mind - AP1 doesn't have BSM!!!!! A car that pushes the tech envelope does not have blind spot monitoring? This technology was implemented 12 years ago on a 2007 Volvo S80 ( Blind spot monitor - Wikipedia ) ........ A 2016 Model S with AP1 does not have it????

Comment from a noob (so please be gentle). I just bought a 2016 75D (haven't taken delivery yet), but I can't stop reading various threads on this forum to educate myself about the car. :)

Having read 98% of the posts on this specific thread about AP1, I feel as if I won't even bother trying to use it. :)

Also this boggles my mind - AP1 doesn't have BSM!!!!! A car that pushes the tech envelope does not have blind spot monitoring? This technology was implemented 12 years ago on a 2007 Volvo S80 ( Blind spot monitor - Wikipedia ) ........ A 2016 Model S with AP1 does not have it????

Ummmm...why not bother trying to use Autopilot? I think it's a game-changer for long-distance driving, and I've been using this since Day One back in 2015. It's not the same as Level-5 self-driving (or even Tesla's FSD), but it really reduces the driver workload. This means less mental fatigue, and less physical tiredness from not needing to continually adjust the steering wheel and pedals. You can read all the forum postings you like on how this feature works, but as I like to tell people that's no substitute for actually getting in the car and trying this out.

You do get to see the results of the ultrasonics on the IC, while not as functional as blind spot monitoring on other cars it's not the same as nothing at all (my last car didn't have it).

Bruce.

Nah, AP1 is really very good when you know what to expect of it. I love it and use it all the time.
As for BSM, a short history: Apparently, Tesla though that the ultrasonics would be sufficient for that task. They sold the car as having BSM. Well, it turns out that those sensors are very much not sufficient, so they just removed the BSM feature from the list. Kinda sucks for those of us who bought the non-existent feature.

Nah, AP1 is really very good when you know what to expect of it. I love it and use it all the time.
Ok thanks!. I can't wait to try it and learn its limitations so that I can enjoy it. :)

As for BSM, a short history: Apparently, Tesla though that the ultrasonics would be sufficient for that task. They sold the car as having BSM. Well, it turns out that those sensors are very much not sufficient, so they just removed the BSM feature from the list. Kinda sucks for those of us who bought the non-existent feature.
Interesting......... I wonder if there is an aftermarket solution to this.....

Ummmm...why not bother trying to use Autopilot? I think it's a game-changer for long-distance driving, and I've been using this since Day One back in 2015. It's not the same as Level-5 self-driving (or even Tesla's FSD), but it really reduces the driver workload. This means less mental fatigue, and less physical tiredness from not needing to continually adjust the steering wheel and pedals. You can read all the forum postings you like on how this feature works, but as I like to tell people that's no substitute for actually getting in the car and trying this out.

You do get to see the results of the ultrasonics on the IC, while not as functional as blind spot monitoring on other cars it's not the same as nothing at all (my last car didn't have it).

Bruce.
Thanks Bruce! Looking forward to trying it out for sure.

Ummmm...why not bother trying to use Autopilot? I think it's a game-changer for long-distance driving, and I've been using this since Day One back in 2015. It's not the same as Level-5 self-driving (or even Tesla's FSD), but it really reduces the driver workload.

Very true. To me is even more useful for bumper to bumper rush hour freeway traffic. This is when the car is the closest to just driving itself.

Try it. You'll like it.

Could care less about Blind spot monitoring. I know what is going to be in my blind spot long before it is in my blind spot. And you may find when using AP1 you have even more awareness and time to be aware of what is in the blindspot. Bird's view monitor would be useful when parking however, and there is an aftermarket upgrade for that. It's on my wishlist.

[Reservation] HDMI Interface Box for Model S / X - 30 Dec/18 shipment

360 surround view + HDMI kit testing

So I received this 20.4.2 update Saturday.
We took the car to drive from Belgium to Berlin, Germany. 750km (500 miles?).
Strange new experience with the MCU.
Nav was running, listening to TuneIn.
I started to look around on the map, and this somehow overloaded the MCU.
But in a different way than before.
Airbag off Red light warning for a few seconds, then loss of data connectivity, hence stop of music. Nav continued to work, though map updates stopped.
After a minute or two, data connection restored, red light went off. This happened twice.
So better handling, no reboot but not ideal.

AP no issue, great as usual.
The hyper fast reactivity for lane change is really making it the best AP experience in years. And this while remaining smooth.

Bruce.
Picked up my car on Saturday evening, drove it straight to the nearest supercharger (about 15 mins from my house) and charged it to 90% (the Tesla store had charged it to 75%) and drove home. Next day I went on a 300 mile road trip and tried it out.

Here are two issues I ran into (I'm on the latest software version - 2019.20.4.2 ):
  1. 10 mins into driving it (we left before dawn as we wanted to shoot the sunrise at Niagara Falls which is about an hour from my home), we passed an overpass that had a big sign on it and the car hit its brakes(I had autopilot on), started beeping and flashing and I had to take over from AP. It was a bit alarming, but I didn't get freaked out like my spouse did. :) Anyway, after taking control it refused to engage AP again. It allowed me to engage TACC, but not AP. I don't know if this has anything to do with the fact that it was still at night or not.
  • After we crossed the border into the US (we drove to Letchworth State Park in NY after we were done shooting the sunrise in Niagara Falls), a small SUV joined the highway (it was just 2 lanes at that point). (I think it was a Lincoln MK or something). I distinctly remember it was not a very big vehicle as I had read about situations like this already with trucks). Anyway, as soon as I came up to to the SUV in the outer lane - the SUV was still slightly ahead of me (and this was on a very slight curve to the left as well), the same thing happened again. The car freaked out, braking, lights flashing etc, I didn't even bother trying to engage AP after this, so don't know if it disabled it the same way it had at night.
I've driven about 450 miles in two days and I absolutely LOVE this machine!!!!! Best damn car I've ever driven (and I've driven quite a few in my day :) ) I will never ever buy an ICE car again.

Thanks!

Very true. To me is even more useful for bumper to bumper rush hour freeway traffic. This is when the car is the closest to just driving itself.
I tried it on the highway so far in busy traffic and its great!

Try it. You'll like it.

Could care less about Blind spot monitoring. I know what is going to be in my blind spot long before it is in my blind spot. And you may find when using AP1 you have even more awareness and time to be aware of what is in the blindspot. Bird's view monitor would be useful when parking however, and there is an aftermarket upgrade for that. It's on my wishlist.

[Reservation] HDMI Interface Box for Model S / X - 30 Dec/18 shipment

360 surround view + HDMI kit testing
I love it! But I still think needs an updated BSM. :)

Reactions: dark cloud
There’s been a rash of software updates for my AP1 car in the recent past - today was my third update in about 2 months, to 2019.20.4.2 . Until late spring I hadn’t seen an update since about late January or so .
Yes, but they have improved nothing. All the UI feature changes from V8 are still inferior in V9, with more eye time at the bottom of the screen and off the road.