Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but they have improved nothing. All the UI feature changes from V8 are still inferior in V9, with more eye time at the bottom of the screen and off the road.
Well, I saw a definite downgrade in AP performance after the first of the three software updates a couple of months ago. AP suddenly became VERY laggy. It used to engage immediately on double tapping the stalk, but that update caused a 1 second or longer lag before AP would come to life. It was annoying, but it went away with the subsequent update. The other feature set updates are just various video game details I visually scrolled past without reading. We don't have a dog so I haven't tried the dog mode.

There's not much to expect featureset wise from AP1 hardware anymore. While MobileEye EyeQ3 technically offers stop light and stop sight recognition, it has never been an active intent on Tesla's part to add that to AP1 featureset, and they've no incentive to do so anymore since we're legacy customers. I'm not up to date on what the store is with that feature on AP2/2.5 cars.

After the last update, are you still loading at that speed? because my MS70D could not reach 100kW

The reddit poster even managed to capture a picture of the higher charge rate on his '14 85D. I'm refraining from charging over the next couple days to get to a low SoC to see if I can replicate and see how long the higher rates are sustained.

myzVXcs.jpg

After the last update, are you still loading at that speed? because my MS70D could not reach 100kW
I haven't retested since 20.2.1, but I would imagine 20.4.2 still supports the higher speeds.

S75 and below have 350V packs, whereas the S85 and above have 400V packs. This is directly influential on the max charging rate.

Were you ever able to charge above 100kW, or is this new with 20.4.2?

Well not the code related to the mobileye camera, is my understanding, and no, I have no idea what this looks like, but that in itself cannot mean the way the car drives on autopilot is the same as it was years ago. Somehow the implementation of that code (if that makes any sense) is better; or is it the radar code has improved? Again, I have no idea on the subject but I will swear up and down that the car stays in the lane much more predictably and consistently than it did when I got this car over a year ago. Not to mention the lane changing improvements; that must be the camera? Radar doesn't see lines on the road. (wipers operate better also but that is not part of autopilot) Cannot comment on TACC as I don't use it; when I am in traffic I drive it manually as I cannot stand the way it gaps itself and decides to waste energy and brakes amongst other vehicles.

Maybe the expert you are referring to @wk057 would be kind enough to comment if AP could be different now vs. then given the same code regarding the mobileye camera, and if that is the case how can it lane change more efficiently.

But I would love an opportunity to go back to say a 2017. XX version and compare to where it is today just for my own sanity.

Yes I've been smacked down (I think probably in this thread) at one point because I said it was improbable that they haven't made any code changes that affect AP1. The "experts" assure us that nothing has changed since the day AP2 shipped ... but I'm with you in that there must be something that changes that affect our old AP1 stuff. Either that or all of us are hallucinating. TACC seems ok to me and I use it daily still, and I do see changes in the way it behaves between updates.... or not.

Queue the experts or expert's friends telling us that we're hallucinating.

I always update, and sometimes I think I see changes to AP, sometimes I think nothing's changed or just the driving conditions are different... I imagine there are some basic changes done, at times, but overall I am so very happy with AP1 as-is, relying on it daily to endure the snarls in Toronto, and worry that any big changes could start update-after-update fixes/changes/rollbacks cycles again, but this time with much less attention paid to us tens of thousands of drivers, versus the hundreds of thousands of AP2/3 cars.

10% of us are on 2019.24.1 already. Anybody notice any charge rate or range differences yet? I know after 2019.4.2 my supercharging rate got reduced by 15%. It seems like with all that V3 supercharger news a short while ago we were checking for faster rates, and now we are receiving slower rates for battery protection.

Well whatever, but it would be nice if the time estimation were a little more accurate. It seems like the rates are down but the navigation program has not been reset. When you are plugged in a supercharger and it displays 15 minutes to go to get to a specific SOC (and I am not talking 100%; more like 85%), and then 35 minutes later you are still waiting that is the most annoying part.

One thing that is consistent with Tesla is there is plenty of changes always going on.

Yes, I charged 100 kW up to 30% of the battery, then, as usual, I started to decrease. But now it only stays at 100kw just a few seconds.

Enrique Tesla70D on Twitter

I haven't retested since 20.2.1, but I would imagine 20.4.2 still supports the higher speeds.

S75 and below have 350V packs, whereas the S85 and above have 400V packs. This is directly influential on the max charging rate.

Were you ever able to charge above 100kW, or is this new with 20.4.2?

I've not noticed much change except that I'm seeing a few more phantom braking events that I have no explanation for. It's only happened a couple of times on what looked to me like open highway with light traffic.

I have noticed this while driving on the inside lane with a semi-truck on the outside lane, but yesterday got the first one with a midsize SUV towing a small trailer on the right. No big deal; always have the right foot near the accelerator to override.

View attachment 429715
2016.5 AP1 managed to keep 125 kwh to about 40% then dropped to 117 to 120 until around 70%. Fans sounded like I was going to take off, but it was definitely faster than it's ever been.

consider yourself lucky; I was below 20% and I saw 117, but it quickly dropped to below 100 and at 40% SOC it used to be consistently at 80 kW but now it is about 70kW.

It has been a few days now and regen seems to be stronger with 2019.24.1. I don't have any plug-ins to get data from my car to compare but does someone else think the same, or are able to pull the data?

View attachment 429715
2016.5 AP1 managed to keep 125 kwh to about 40% then dropped to 117 to 120 until around 70%. Fans sounded like I was going to take off, but it was definitely faster than it's ever been.
On a road trip last month I could swear I saw 130 or even 135 for a while ! Great to see some things still getting better 4+ years later. Seems the classic 70 packs are keepers (we also don't have to worry about the total amount of DC fast charging from what I've read).

Reactions: kavyboy
Is this behavior recognized by others around here?

Using the navigation (either planning a route or one already active and searching the map) can trigger that this happens: red warning for airbag passenger, nav freezes for a moment. Streaming audio stops, then data connection also lost. Sounds like turn signal not produced anymore.
After a minute or two max, this resolves itself without reboot needed: data connection restored, map again responsive...
I had this happen already three times.