Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Downloaded 2019.40.2 last night.
Woke up to a notification on my phone this morning:

OPTIMIZED BATTERY CHARGING ENABLED
To reduce battery aging, iPhone learns from your daily charging routine so it can wait to finish charging past 80% until you need to use it.

Big sigh of relief when I got to “iPhone” and realized I also upgraded to iOS 13.3 yesterday! (Two year old “original“ iPhone X)

hmm well 2019.40.2 seems to have improved nothing in my car: the browser was dead upon the 1st reboot (I always try to reboot everything after a firmware update) so that's as before, hit and miss (next reboot brought it back but it was just as laggy as before).

The "What's New" alert box on my car was just totally blank (again).

No 5% performance increase...

No new one-pedal driving scheme...

No new charging scheme (that I've been able to find yet)...

But most importantly, another unstable release (on MCU1). Nobody cares about us. You think Elon's even seen an MCU1 in months ? They should make him tolerate one for a day.

12/2015 CPO 70D in Canada - Updated to 2019.40.2 last night then withing minutes it said 2019.40.2.1 was available so running that now. Nothing unusual felt on my commute this morning except for wiper behavior seemed better.
Hmm.. my 70D in Toronto has so far not been offered 2019.40.2.1 after installing 2019.40.2 .. and I can continue to report the browser for me is same as it was on previous firmware...

I did find the charge-to-time setting .. on the Charging screen. Good to get something us cold climes have been asking for what, 5 or so years :p

what else are people hoping comes to AP1/MCU1? i dont care about most of these changes but i do hope SMS text integration does still show up.. claimed to be being worked on but worried by then it'll be a MCU2 only feature. only feature in my audi plugin that i used that is missing from my new to me Model S. it offered:
- seeing texts while stationary
- reading texts while moving
- precanned responses that could be selected to quickly reply (moving or not). so stuff like "yes" / "no" etc you could quick respond with.
- upper trims added finger stylus, maybe voice response, etc.. but did just like the precanned ones.. less distraction than trying to dictate to car and then proofread it like in my other car with android auto.

Last edited:
I just got 2019.40.2 last night. It looks like it only brought scheduled departure and automatic navigation.

Driving it today I did notice it routing me to work in the morning as well as routing me back home after work. Otherwise it seems to drive the same to me.

what else are people hoping comes to AP1/MCU1? i dont care about most of these changes but i do hope SMS text integration does still show up.. claimed to be being worked on but worried by then it'll be a MCU2 only feature. only feature in my audi plugin that i used that is missing from my new to me Model S. it offered:
- precanned responses that could be selected to quickly reply (moving or not). so stuff like "yes" / "no" etc you could quick respond with.
- upper trims added finger stylus, maybe voice response, etc.. but did just like the precanned ones.. less distraction than trying to dictate to car and then proofread it like in my other car with android auto.

I would love this feature as well. Our Honda Odyssey (without Android Auto or CarPlay) does all of those things.

Hmm.. my 70D in Toronto has so far not been offered 2019.40.2.1 after installing 2019.40.2 .. and I can continue to report the browser for me is same as it was on previous firmware...

I did find the charge-to-time setting .. on the Charging screen. Good to get something us cold climes have been asking for what, 5 or so years :p

I’m curious how scheduled charge work on 40.2.1 because on 40.2 it misses the target. Ie at 7am, departure time, charge is still far from completed.

A simple warning that a text came in would be huge already.

Our 2015 Model S 85 is still on version 2019.36.2.7. Waiting patiently for the 2019.40.2
The firmware update allowed me to set charging time. This is useful to me as I have changed my electric billing to "Time of Day" to take advantage of lower electric rate at midnight.
I have a question - When I set the charging from 12:00 AM to 6:00 AM, why does it NOT stop charging at 6:00 AM?

Supercharging for the first time on 2019.40.2.1: got some graphic changes in the cluster; not helpful for the visually impaired.

And charging at a whopping factor of 65 ( 34% soc + 31 kw) , but battery is cold so not sure if this update reduced charging rate or not yet.

29B7BE31-118C-4C5B-8588-EBB4FD915BE1.jpeg

Last edited:
Car was updated from 2019.36.2.1 to 2019.36.2.3 on Monday and then to 2019.40.2.1 on Wednesday. My released notes opened the 2nd time I tried to open them and only showed a small line with "minor bug fixes" or something along those lines. I really wish they would document what those were.

@dark cloud I saw those numbers under the car on the Instrument cluster display unit as well. I couldn't remember if it was there before or not but it was nice not to have the charging screen up on the main display to monitor the charge rate.

Charging didn't seem any faster for me either but my battery was cold so I wasn't thinking too much about charge rates.

@dark cloud I saw those numbers under the car on the Instrument cluster display unit as well. I couldn't remember if it was there before or not but it was nice not to have the charging screen up on the main display to monitor the charge rate.

Charging didn't seem any faster for me either but my battery was cold so I wasn't thinking too much about charge rates.

The charging rate was always there, but my point was the font is much smaller now. Sorry, sometimes I don’t include enough words to fully explain my point.

It is like they are making space to fit some other graphic or information underneath it?

Got 2019.40.2 a few days back on my late 2014 MS. I am seeing that the car has become way more conservative in terms of limiting regen. I am seeing the yellow dashes even at not-so-high SOC and when outside and battery temperature isn't too cold. Has anyone else also noticed it? This will result in even less range (due to limited regen) in cold weather :-(

Got 2019.40.2 a few days back on my late 2014 MS. I am seeing that the car has become way more conservative in terms of limiting regen. I am seeing the yellow dashes even at not-so-high SOC and when outside and battery temperature isn't too cold. Has anyone else also noticed it? This will result in even less range (due to limited regen) in cold weather :-(
I confirm both observation: less regen and much higher consumption