Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of hammering our old EMMCs. I got the new software, tried to install, bricked the car...

Fast forward 5 days.. $2050 later I had to,have Tesla replace my MCU... just feels wrong.. roll our software that eventually breaks your hardware then your forced to buy new hardware from the company that “caused” the damage...

trying to find a real life analogy that this is true with.

looks like they are really trying to hammer our old eMMCs

Speaking of hammering our old EMMCs. I got the new software, tried to install, bricked the car...

Fast forward 5 days.. $2050 later I had to,have Tesla replace my MCU... just feels wrong.. roll our software that eventually breaks your hardware then your forced to buy new hardware from the company that “caused” the damage...

I was hopeful they would come out with a MCU1 to 2 upgrade before mine fails on me, but the recent tweets by Elon have basically convinced me that won’t be happening. I would hate to pay $2k for another MCU1 that will fail again in 4 years.

Reactions: Lex
I was hopeful they would come out with a MCU1 to 2 upgrade before mine fails on me, but the recent tweets by Elon have basically convinced me that won’t be happening. I would hate to pay $2k for another MCU1 that will fail again in 4 years.
Refurbs should have a better eMMC chip in them. But they probably don’t.
I don’t know if anyone has had the MCU replaced and cracked it open to see if a more robust eMMC chip is in there or if it’s the same crappy one.

I don’t know if anyone has had the MCU replaced and cracked it open to see if a more robust eMMC chip is in there or if it’s the same crappy one.

I’d bet money it’s the same. Using a different one will confirm the old one was inadequate/improper. From what I’ve heard that isn’t Tesla’s public opinion.

Had mine apart recently and it's the same chip. My MCU has been replaced twice now by Tesla under warranty. Last one was done in December of 2018.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP

There is someone in California who used to be here on the forum who explained why MCUs brick up eventually. The programmers who developed the car originally left the Linux kernel logging turned on and it writes to a flash memory chip soldered onto the mother board. All flash memory has a max lifetime write limit and when that's reached, the memory becomes read only. The Linux kernel seizes up when the logging chip fails.

He has a service where he will replace the chip and disable the kernel logging on MCUs that have reached the limit. The techs will never check that log, the logs they check are a different memory and it gets a lot fewer writes. I'm not surprised the MCU chose an update to have a seizure, at that time it would be pouring tons of data to the logs.

When my car goes out of warranty I may pay him to fix this so it won't fail on me.

Reactions: GSP and davidc18
Ok looks like they're continuing to look into the MCU 1 issues. Please, need more people to visit www.tesla.com/support and report the problem so they have more data.

View attachment 471881
2015 MS85D AP1, Tech package - Mobile Eye
31,000 MI
Downloaded the latest firmware tonight,
v10.2 (40.2.3 40ef2d4d1432)) 28 Dec 2019, Still no browser, no release notes or owner's manual
Our car has had 7 different firmwares, numerous re-boots and still no browser.
About 4 months ago I took the car into the service department and they said they would look into the problem and get back with me.
Still waiting.
I guess my patience has worn thin and I need to submit a support ticket, call, take the car back or all of the above!!

Also read here on the forum tonight that this latest firmware 40.2.3, might cripple our car even further by restricting our charging speed and even diminishing our regen capability!! Great, just great
Our SC experiences are already taking longer already compare to when the car was a year old.
The charging starts off like it use to, around 120, then ramps down from 110 to 60 all within 20 minutes of starting

• Informative
Reactions: GSP