Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think it is still there...could double check if someone really wants to know...

I assume this is speculation rather than official information from Tesla.

MCU2 upgrade is the answer, so I would agree with this; there is no point upgrading the speed of the MCU1. Personally I am not interested to pay $2500 US (that is $3500 in my dollars) for a working browser, or netflix, but there are many AP2.5 and AP2 who have done it already, and in a few months maybe some AP1 owners will get it.

Last edited:
I think it is still there...could double check if someone really wants to know...

MCU2 upgrade is the answer, so I would agree with this; there is no point upgrading the speed of the MCU1. Personally I am not interested to pay $2500 US (that is $3500 in my dollars) for a working browser, or netflix, but there are many AP2.5 and AP2 who have done it already, and in a few months maybe some AP1 owners will get it.
Well I don’t agree MCU2 is the answer.
Browser was part of the car since inception in 2012 so it should be working on MCU1.
MCU2 can be the answer for those that want those new apps that came much later. And kudos to Tesla to offer this option.
I find the browser can already be good at times. It does lack obviously stability.
So for me it’s not far away from being fully functional and I sure hope Tesla works on it.

For those that are update adverse, I just found there is an option in the Tesla App to turn off software nags!

I just turned it off, will see if it works or not.
I just don't understand why people would not install the latest software. I do understand that they are afraid it might break their car. However, this just hasn't happened. There have been a few minor regressions which were quickly fixed. That leaves the issue of changes Tesla makes to improve the car which some people may not like. I guess changing the tapering curve for rapid charging falls into this category. To me, yes, it might cause some inconvenience when I Supercharge but that is outweighed by improved battery life. I'd rather have a safer, longer lasting car.
The software updates also provide lots of minor fixes to improve the performance and reliability of the car. These are not detailed in the release notes but do improve the car. AP1 is a good case. This has improved measurably through incremental changes over the years. I wouldn't want to give up these changes.
I always update the software on all of my computers so that I can have the best performance and reliability. I do the same with my Tesla.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I just don't understand why people would not install the latest software. I do understand that they are afraid it might break their car. However, this just hasn't happened. There have been a few minor regressions which were quickly fixed. That leaves the issue of changes Tesla makes to improve the car which some people may not like. I guess changing the tapering curve for rapid charging falls into this category. To me, yes, it might cause some inconvenience when I Supercharge but that is outweighed by improved battery life. I'd rather have a safer, longer lasting car.
The software updates also provide lots of minor fixes to improve the performance and reliability of the car. These are not detailed in the release notes but do improve the car. AP1 is a good case. This has improved measurably through incremental changes over the years. I wouldn't want to give up these changes.
I always update the software on all of my computers so that I can have the best performance and reliability. I do the same with my Tesla.
I very much appreciate your positive stance on software update. Count me in, I also am a fan and like you agree that AP1 (among other features) has silently improved and is just great.

I however don’t follow you about the change on SuC charge speed.
The car was sold with specific charge speed performance allowing convenient road trips.
I’m a early adopter (although not from the first hour), and I knew there was going to be some price to pay.
But the drastic speed reduction is what it is: drastic.
I’m ok with loss of capacity due to aging of battery. I also understand losing performance and SuC speed as it is all tight together.
But the current reduction is too much.
I hope naively probably that it is an overreaction until Tesla figures out how to handle the issue(s) they discovered (*) and make it right at some point: restore SuC speed where ok to do so, and propose a battery replacement where needed.

(*) There are early adopters... and Tesla is a “early provider”. I am convinced they learn and discover as we drive and provide data. I don’t believe in malice in reducing the SuC speed. Just caution until a solution is found.

There have been a few minor regressions which were quickly fixed.

Incorrect. Browser has been broken for almost 2 years now. v10 is still noticeably slower and choppier than v8 was. Many had range/supercharging speeds cut, and this isn't helping you have a "longer lasting" battery, because your battery has an unlimited warranty. It's only saving Tesla money because they have to fix fewer batteries.

Incorrect. Browser has been broken for almost 2 years now. v10 is still noticeably slower and choppier than v8 was. Many had range/supercharging speeds cut, and this isn't helping you have a "longer lasting" battery, because your battery has an unlimited warranty. It's only saving Tesla money because they have to fix fewer batteries.

I have had my S for a year now and the browser has been mainly useless and sometimes utterly useless. I have never had the pleasure of experiencing it as a web browser. It it is was for sale as browser in it's current state it would be a laughing stock in the market place. Which it is. I just add it to the list of Tesla post purchase disappointments.

Did anyone's summon via key fob stop working? I tried both my key fobs and summon fails to activate. It works fine with the app though.

I also checked the wife's AP2.0/MCU1 X and summon via key fob works for her.

I recall there used to be an option that allows you to set "continuous press required" which would deactivate the keyfob but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Any suggestions?

Did anyone's summon via key fob stop working? I tried both my key fobs and summon fails to activate. It works fine with the app though.

I also checked the wife's AP2.0/MCU1 X and summon via key fob works for her.

I recall there used to be an option that allows you to set "continuous press required" which would deactivate the keyfob but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Any suggestions?

I heard on the other forum that the latest release/update broke it.

I have had my S for a year now and the browser has been mainly useless and sometimes utterly useless. I have never had the pleasure of experiencing it as a web browser. It it is was for sale as browser in it's current state it would be a laughing stock in the market place. Which it is. I just add it to the list of Tesla post purchase disappointments.

I don’t really care about the browser, but it would be nice if I could bring up the owners manual in the touchscreen in under half an hour. I have a new eMMC and upgraded the 3G to LTE and it still doesn’t work. I may never try it again. :mad:

I just don't understand why people would not install the latest software. I do understand that they are afraid it might break their car. However, this just hasn't happened.

I use to be a cutting edge, latest and greatest software person but since learnt from many a phone update.
I've unfortunately been pushed into updating the car, (as previously I was more than happy with the cars faultless software [stopped updating just prior to the release of the autopilot nag] and performance). After numerous emails from Tesla staying I'd be left out in the cold if I didn't update the vehicle soon. I reneged.

I cannot believe the woeful, useless abomination that I'm now left to deal with.....

I currently own a P90D, MCU 1, AP1 vehicle and I'm under the impression that this software suite was never meant for the earlier vehicles.
The voice recognition is now useless, completely unusable. 85% of the time it doesn't even register a voice and when it does, it's got the accuracy of software out of the 80s. 5% of the time its states that the 'The microphone is unavailable" and the remaining % is just a complete mystery of whats happened.The lag input on the touch screen is now also diabolical, you're not sure what it's doing or where it's up to. Constant screen freezing/stuck menus.
I'm also now gifted with a graphics glitch, so whenever you've touched the screen, a digital mess lags on it for a few seconds (this photo after touching BlueTooth icon)
car bug.jpg

Fan running despite the car being parked and AC 'apparently' off. (and not the battery cooling system)
When charging, % on main screen completely different to the % on driver screen. Also the rate of charge is massively tapered off to prior to software.
Phone refuses to connect with BlueTooth and the charging from the centre console is also unusable.
Tried a software, reset but it's just a rinse and repeat scenario.
Had all intent of upgrading the car later this year however since the current sh!t-show we're all enduring and the loss of my employment, I could be well stuck with a polar opposite of what I just had an update ago.

Phone refuses to connect with BlueTooth and the charging from the centre console is also unusable.
Tried a software, reset but it's just a rinse and repeat scenario.
Had all intent of upgrading the car later this year however since the current sh!t-show we're all enduring and the loss of my employment, I could be well stuck with a polar opposite of what I just had an update ago.

Might want to do a full factory reset on your car (Hopefully you know your Slacker log in information if you use that). MCU1 is definitely struggling with these newer updates but it could be the accumulation of all the junk over the years too (Nav location, air suspension locations, logs, setting changes, etc). I know its a pain to re-setup everything but might be worth it to attempt to get the things you listed back working again.

Disclaimer: I am just a random guy on the internet, don't trust me with any official fix for your issues

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric