Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's interesting with my browser issues is that when I get home and hop on WiFi, the browser actually works perfectly. The minute it transitions to LTE, it's pretty much dead. Feels to me like firmware or some kind of QOS feature was implemented to limit how much IO/bandwidth the browser was "allowed" to use through the LTE module. This would make sense to prioritize vehicle functions, roadside assistance etc and then music streaming. Browser functions probably got deprioritized from a bandwidth perspective - at least in my case anyways. Curious to hear if you guys see the same thing when at the house and on WiFi.

If this comment is indicative of how many owners feel about USB music, then it's probably not long for this world as a feature. :(
I think your statement is probably true both from a delivery and quality aspect. Nobody cares or can tell the difference between an highly compressed MP3 and FLAC file and would rather listen to the "latest" tune vs rehashing the same songs over and over again. :(

In theory as wireless bandwidth and available sources get better this could be moot but probably not in my lifetime. The other gripe I have with streaming, while I do use it too, is that sooner or later everyone who owns content will want to control it (looking at you Disney). So you will have to have a lot of relationships/accounts to deal with if you want anything more than the current playlists.

The same applies to broadcast video. It's all about the newest Netflixs show that probably won't last more than a season or a fast paced action adventure that is mostly explosions and loud music. Cinematic style and photography need not apply.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
If this comment is indicative of how many owners feel about USB music, then it's probably not long for this world as a feature. :(
I'm sorry for the unwarranted dig at USB music.
I'm just not that picky about music so I'm happy to have the streaming channels pick it for me. I also don't care enough to spend time putting together playlists.
Long live USB music!

What's interesting with my browser issues is that when I get home and hop on WiFi, the browser actually works perfectly. The minute it transitions to LTE, it's pretty much dead. Feels to me like firmware or some kind of QOS feature was implemented to limit how much IO/bandwidth the browser was "allowed" to use through the LTE module. This would make sense to prioritize vehicle functions, roadside assistance etc and then music streaming. Browser functions probably got deprioritized from a bandwidth perspective - at least in my case anyways. Curious to hear if you guys see the same thing when at the house and on WiFi.
You can check this using a site like fast.com to measure your speed.
To me it can be indeed faster on a good Wifi, but often I have better result on LTE :eek:... But then when not moving and indeed in a well covered area.

You can check this using a site like fast.com to measure your speed.
To me it can be indeed faster on a good Wifi, but often I have better result on LTE :eek:... But then when not moving and indeed in a well covered area.
It's not a speed thing. The browser is unusable over LTE. In other words, you hit a favorite and it's just a white screen (until it gets on Wifi) and then the page loads. Also, when typing in the address bar field, I have to wait about 20 seconds between entering each character in the field. It takes that long to register touch screen inputs.

Reactions: wodnik7
It's not a speed thing. The browser is unusable over LTE. In other words, you hit a favorite and it's just a white screen (until it gets on Wifi) and then the page loads. Also, when typing in the address bar field, I have to wait about 20 seconds between entering each character in the field. It takes that long to register touch screen inputs.
I'm still on the original 3G and no slowdown. (Not that it's ever really fast)
Just did a 45 minute drive with TeslaWaze open and it worked flawlessly... Streaming music at the same time plus Nav screen showing satellite view. Rural area.
YMMV

Ok, I misunderstood.
It's strange behaviour. When you're on LTE, I guess you're also driving, so the only other thing that is "consuming" MCU resources is probably the navigation (due to car moving).
One thing I changed a while back to "relief" the MCU1 is to use satellite view. The "normal" map view is more demanding.

Ok, I misunderstood.
It's strange behaviour. When you're on LTE, I guess you're also driving, so the only other thing that is "consuming" MCU resources is probably the navigation (due to car moving).
One thing I changed a while back to "relief" the MCU1 is to use satellite view. The "normal" map view is more demanding.
No, not driving. Just parked in a parking lot. I disabled the satellite view the day I got the car. Too noisy. I have also tried turning off traffic as that adds more load but that hasn't helped either. It's sad because having a functional browser in the car is actually very helpful. There are a number of cool tools (Eve For Tesla, Teslawaze, etc) that I would love to be able to use. Just think of all the Amazon shopping I could do while sitting in bumper to bumper traffic :D

A lot of people use USB music and USB audiobooks. It's a popular feature. I haven't tried streaming music in over 2 years.

I don't play USB sticks that much when running around town, but when on road trips I listen to audiobooks or music most of the time on the road.

Reactions: mspohr
When did AP1/HW1 TACC allow us to set speed to zero? I thought it was minimum of 20 or 25MPH. Today I just tried it for a laugh and when i held the stalk down with TACC on it went to 0 and stopped the car. Then I increased the set speed with the stalk and the car started back up. I never touched the brake or accelerator.

If this is old news then ok but I didnt know we had it on AP1/HW1.

Quick update to my fob summon issue.

I guess I haven't been driving my S for a couple weeks due to Covid19 so the car couldn't acquire a GPS location after the latest update to determine what region I'm in.

Tesla Support basically asked me to drive around the block and then sure enough the menus inside of Customized Summon shower the "hold continuous long press" again and everything is all gravy!

Here's a comparison between pre 2020.12.5 launch mode on the street and the new launch mode. You can see how much harder the car launches now. If the road or tires are not great, you're going to spin a bunch. Very inconsistent runs last night on the street due to road conditions. Tires have about 50% tread life.

Pre
screenshot_20200422-063917-png.534720

Interesting graphs there, you can see it goes from 0g to 1g far more abruptly.
I thought the new launch mode was for Raven only.
Maybe the front suspension lowering (aka "cheetah stance") is only for Ravens but all P models got the revised acceleration mapping?
Yeah, I think it's the damping that the Ravens have that has made that lowering exclusive. I'm fairly positive our cars would be able to lower the front end a bit but I doubt it would have any impact to acceleration without damping.

You'll get a new launch mode but other than that, nothing special. If you use your USB port for music, it might not work after the update. My browser is actually working now but for some strange reason it is really slow when the car is moving. Due to current circumstances, I haven't been able to drive long enough to fully test it.
IMG_20200425_202326.jpg

>>It's strange behaviour. When you're on LTE, I guess you're also driving, so the only other thing that is "consuming" MCU resources is probably the navigation (due to car moving).
One thing I changed a while back to "relief" the MCU1 is to use satellite view. The "normal" map view is more demanding.<<

My car screen gave the satellite mapping until about four days ago then only the map-type view. I did nothing to change it - is there a selection or is Fremont to blame?