Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as MCU1 goes, I thought Tesla fixed the excessive logging which was the cause of memory failure. Don't know which version but it was a while ago. Also, if you don't update, the new software stays in your memory, contributing to the problem.
My understanding is that it is reduced but perhaps not to the level of all unnecessary logging.

So we will still die a certain death, but it may just take longer. ;)

EDIT: I see Barry beat me to the statement.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and Barry
I haven't read all 58 pages of this thread, as I only check-in occasionally. But I'm puzzled to read that software is getting worse and features are removed. I've had my car (2016 model) since December of 2017, and am very happy about all the updates I received. I can't think of anything that felt like a "downgrade" and could not name any feature that disappeared.

But I DO remember many things that were added (not in this order) - some of which I enjoy every time I drive:

- MUCH smoother AutoPilot deceleration and acceleration (AP1 - it was really annoying at the beginning)
- Even more power (it seems)
- Chill Mode (seems to cut power in half, but is much smoother; I don't use it because I want to have all power available just in case)
- PIN to drive
- Key security update
- Speed Limit Mode (in addition to Valet Mode)
- Nicer, more modern UI
- Improved navigation functions including 3rd party and destination chargers.
- Spotify, TuneIn
- Text Messages in the driver's display (I still hope for a fully voice activated option)
- Easy Entry Function
- More remote control options (including starting updates), scheduling Services, buying (non-existent) upgrades in the Tesla App
- Camp Mode
- Joe Mode
- Romance Mode
- Games
- Fart generator (great way to distract unruly kids)

I'm sure I have forgotten lots of features, but my point is that there is nothing I miss. The only thing is that the web browser is still useless, and it is my impression that over time, the navigation screen has slowed to render the maps.

- PIN to drive
- Nicer, more modern UI
- Improved navigation functions including 3rd party and destination chargers.
- Text Messages in the driver's display (I still hope for a fully voice activated option)
(Snipped a few items form the list)

One of these was definitely a change, but not an improvement.

Also push the voice command button and speak “Text (name)”. If (name) is found in your phone contacts it will do voice-to-text. Not as good as Siri but it gets the job done.

But I DO remember many things that were added (not in this order) - some of which I enjoy every time I drive:

- MUCH smoother AutoPilot deceleration and acceleration (AP1 - it was really annoying at the beginning)
<snip>
Things I miss since V8:
Color maps
Uncrippled regen from 45-60F
quick return of regen in the cold
Fast supercharging
A better UI, including full control of the climate system (eg., turn of A/C without going out of AUTO mode)

Back in the day the central screen allowed two functions up at the same time and you could have one on top and one on the bottom. I always had the maps on the bottom because I found the map running into the top icons confusing. I still do, but now I can't do anything about it.

Version 8 was S/X centric, but the newer versions have been focused on the 3/Y and then they tweak the S/X version to fit the different format screen. That's where most of the functionality breaking came in.

Overall there have been many improvements, but the S/X UI got broken and they have no interest in fixing it.

Back in the day the central screen allowed two functions up at the same time and you could have one on top and one on the bottom. I always had the maps on the bottom because I found the map running into the top icons confusing. I still do, but now I can't do anything about it.

Version 8 was S/X centric, but the newer versions have been focused on the 3/Y and then they tweak the S/X version to fit the different format screen. That's where most of the functionality breaking came in.

Overall there have been many improvements, but the S/X UI got broken and they have no interest in fixing it.
Map on top with persistent icons was the best. I still miss it dearly. The "sliding" icons were 100% unnecessary and troublesome, but I now see it was paving the way for always-on maps with overlays. For S/X, the UI has definitely been going downhill.

I'm sure I have forgotten lots of features, but my point is that there is nothing I miss. The only thing is that the web browser is still useless, and it is my impression that over time, the navigation screen has slowed to render the maps.
Web browser is really sucks. I should be relatively easy to fix. At least once its opened, the software can stop rendering the traffic and maps data. That will increase the speed.
Rendering the maps is another problem. However i have changed my emmc seems like maps is faster.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Things I miss since V8:
Color maps
Uncrippled regen from 45-60F
quick return of regen in the cold
Fast supercharging
A better UI, including full control of the climate system (eg., turn of A/C without going out of AUTO mode)

Hi!

Workaround regarding A/C and AUTO mode:

- Set the cabin temp as fits you and turn off A/C.
- Press your right hand Menu button and choose Fan Speed; as you know you can roll the scroll button to adjust the speed.
- When pushing the scroll button in Fan Speed setting, it toggles between turning of the fan, the manually set speed and: AUTO Mode while leaving the A/C off!

Have fun!

PS: What do you mean with "Color maps" in regard of v8?

I haven't caught the "pre 10" software days but I bet it was also easier on hardware which is now quite old. I can only assume it was way more responsive than MCU1 is with v10 now.
I used to think it was all v10 fault, but it turns out not entirely. Turns out the aging emmc is not just a ticking time-bomb which will kill the MCU1, it also degrades the MCU performance over time. After recently swapping out emmc in my 5 year old MCU1, the MCU sprung to life and became totally responsive and usable, including browser started working. I posted a quick summary in this post:
Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Prior to v9, the non-satellite-view maps actually had color features (e.g. water was blue) instead of the current grey scheme.
More than just water. It used to look like google maps. Green for parks, etc. It was much more readable. It appears that the UI designers don't drive cars, or they just don't understand your eyes should spend as much time as possible watching the road and not the screen. And a big one - they removed green lines for normal traffic flow. Now, if a road is closed or detoured, it looks like normal traffic flow.

Another example of poor UI design - the window defroster "buttons" are farther from the driver than the front passenger's seat heater control. Does that make any sense?

I just find it mind boggling that redesign includes some very poor choices and nobody in management looks at it and says something like, "why would you do this?"

I doubt that blue takes any more bandwidth or processor power than grey.

In old CRT displays it did, but it may or may not be an issue with LED screens.

More than just water. It used to look like google maps. Green for parks, etc. It was much more readable. It appears that the UI designers don't drive cars, or they just don't understand your eyes should spend as much time as possible watching the road and not the screen. And a big one - they removed green lines for normal traffic flow. Now, if a road is closed or detoured, it looks like normal traffic flow.

Another example of poor UI design - the window defroster "buttons" are farther from the driver than the front passenger's seat heater control. Does that make any sense?

I just find it mind boggling that redesign includes some very poor choices and nobody in management looks at it and says something like, "why would you do this?"

Everything is driven by Elon's aesthetic until he realizes the public generally doesn't like it. The original Model S had the big open area and finally got a console because that's how Elon liked it. The interior of Tesla cars is simpler than most in part because it's cheaper to build, but more because that's what Elon likes.

I'm pretty sure Elon has ADD. My partner developed it after an allergic reaction to an anesthetic and she dives into medical research whenever anything is wrong. She's become an expert on it. We were watching something where Elon was interviewed and they showed his office. She was suspecting he was ADD from some of the things he said, but his office environment clinched it. He had a huge office with a giant desk and the entire room is sterile like nobody uses it.

People with ADD either tend to have environments that spin out of control or they keep their environment insanely tidy to reduce distractions. The map probably became monochrome because Elon wanted to reduce distractions for himself. It probably drove the decision to not have any instruments in front of the driver on the 3/Y either and the rumors of a reduced or eliminated instrument cluster on the next gen S/X interior too.