Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The change in logging level would come in the form of an update though. They've reduced it once already but for many of us, a lot of damage has already been done.

There are posts on another site where they are tracking the failures.

One tidbit is the failures for 2015 cars year to date are double all the failures last year.

If this is this trend is true, it is not our friend..

Yeah, consider the fact that production of vehicles ramped up in bunches. I would expect to see the increase in failures directly proportional to the increase of vehicles sales. It's just a matter of time before newer vehicles start having the same issues. So far, my 2016 is managing. Screen is a bit laggy and the browser doesn't work when on LTE, but everything else works {knock on wood). Deciding if I want to pay the $2500 for a new MCU...

Yeah, consider the fact that production of vehicles ramped up in bunches. I would expect to see the increase in failures directly proportional to the increase of vehicles sales. It's just a matter of time before newer vehicles start having the same issues. So far, my 2016 is managing. Screen is a bit laggy and the browser doesn't work when on LTE, but everything else works {knock on wood). Deciding if I want to pay the $2500 for a new MCU...

True, but in the case of the study, they were only looking at 2015 failures. Those failures have increased substantially in just the last 6 months. 3100 total now.

Link:
MCU Failures | Tesla

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
2016 build here, and I'm starting to see early signs of MCU failure. Could a side effect of software updates but in the past few months I've seen a couple issues that I've never seen in 4+ years.

Once, my car was just black when I got in and put my foot on the brake. It reset itself before I could drive. Another time the MCU went dark and reset itself while I was driving. 2 occasions of a podcast start stuttering leading to an MCU crash.

51,000 miles. I'm scared.

It would be nice (maybe wishful thinking) if Tesla would give us a good trade-in value for a new 2020 Tesla S. Elon must recognize that we early adapters took a chance on Tesla and invested a good amount in his car.

This might also obviate any class action law suites.

True, but in the case of the study, they were only looking at 2015 failures. Those failures have increased substantially in just the last 6 months. 3100 total now.

Link:
MCU Failures | Tesla

I'm sure there are much more failures then 3100, based on the calls I get, and a SMALL number of people call me, I would guess less than 1%. I probably get 3-5 calls a day. I would expect at least 100 mcu fail a day.

I have several customers on their second MCU. and Im doing their 3rd swap.

2016 build here, and I'm starting to see early signs of MCU failure. Could a side effect of software updates but in the past few months I've seen a couple issues that I've never seen in 4+ years.

Once, my car was just black when I got in and put my foot on the brake. It reset itself before I could drive. Another time the MCU went dark and reset itself while I was driving. 2 occasions of a podcast start stuttering leading to an MCU crash.

51,000 miles. I'm scared.

I've had the instrument cluster screen black sometimes when I get in the car and it's done that since it was new. It usually happens when I'm out and about, which is annoying, but it always comes back fairly quickly.

The center screen has spontaneously rebooted twice, the first time when the car was about a month old and the second time almost exactly one year later in exactly the same place on the road.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
AP1/MCU1
2020.20.1 -----> 2020.20.17
"Minor bug fixes and improvements" is all we have for patch notes.
Interesting, there must be some bug fixe or feature (not visible as nothing in notes) in it worth analysing separatly from the 2020.26.x serie.
This is just me assuming as Tesla is deploying this version on a substancial percentage of the fleet. And across all models.

2016 AP1 car, my MCU died on the 4th randomly.
Tried the scroll button reset to no avail.
Strange thing, my A/C stayed running, even with the car supposedly off.
Not sure as to the cause it’s at SC getting replaced (under warranty)

Will report back when I finally get my car back.