Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Homelink has always been intermittent for me. I have it set to manual, but sometimes it won't open or close with Homelink when I hit the button. I carry a regular garage door opener in the car for the times when Homelink just won't work.

Garage doors today are much better than they were when I was a kid. The garage door we had as a kid was made out of heavy wood planks. We broke a spring about once a year. Before we had a garage door opener when opening the door it would become dangerously heavy. When we got a garage door opener, we got the most powerful one available and we still ended up burning out a couple of them.

My garage door (and I assume many others) have hinges that protrude like very sharp blades. I have had not one but two cars damaged because the sensors will still let the door close when the car has cleared the door but it is still close enough for the hinges to scratch the paint. No way I am letting the door close by itself...

Ouch, 2 damaged cars? Please get yourself one of these: https://www.amazon.com/PARKING-TARG...ywords=car+rubber+bump&qid=1596431259&sr=8-12

I know I'm completely safe once my front tire is against it.

Also with a socket wrench you can adjust your garage sensors to be 24" off the ground instead of 1" off the ground, so they catch your back back bumper.

Ouch, 2 damaged cars? Please get yourself one of these: https://www.amazon.com/PARKING-TARG...ywords=car+rubber+bump&qid=1596431259&sr=8-12

Also with a socket wrench you can adjust your garage sensors to be 24" off the ground instead of 1" off the ground, so they catch your back back bumper.
Or they can just manually close the garage door once they've verified the car is in fully. This is what we do and it works fine. Also, your suggestion isn't a 100% solution that allows us to all use the auto open and close function of the cars w/o fear as that's what we're talking about.

Turns out that the next time I backed out of th garage, I could not see the Homelink icon. When I stopped, shifted to park, and pressed the Homelink icon, then shifted into reverse, Homelink icon remained on top of the rear view camera.

It looks like the work-around for this problem is to press the Homelink icon before shifting into reverse, then you can close the garage door as soon as you clear the doorway.
It appears I was mistaken. Today I found out that I had to shift into Drive, then press the Homelink icon, then shift to Reverse in order for the garage door button to remain on top of the rearview camera window.
When I pressed Park, then Homelink, then Reverse, Homelink disappears under the camera window.

Thanks for the suggestions! I remember I tried to move the garage sensors a while back and there was some good reason not to do it, but I cannot recall what it was. I may give it another try.

Luckily summon works very reliably for me and I am able to always stand behind the car to make sure that it stops at the right spot. My MS has never been damaged by the hinges, except for that one time when I mistakenly opened the trunk with the car inside the garage. But that is a story for another day :)

This looks just like the piece of wood I have duct taped to the floor, if someone wanted to save the $20.

I put a piece of blue painter's tape on the wall. When the passenger mirror gets ahead of the tape, I know the car is clear of the door opening.

Thanks for the suggestions! I remember I tried to move the garage sensors a while back and there was some good reason not to do it, but I cannot recall what it was. I may give it another try.

Luckily summon works very reliably for me and I am able to always stand behind the car to make sure that it stops at the right spot. My MS has never been damaged by the hinges, except for that one time when I mistakenly opened the trunk with the car inside the garage. But that is a story for another day :)

This reminds me of an easter egg I found in my refresh S 1 or 2 years ago. I was parked in a parking garage with a low hanging beam right over the trunk lid. As I was walking up to the car I hit the trunk open to put something in the back not thinking about the beam and only noticed when the lid got close. But it stopped short (lower than it normally does). It appears Tesla put the same sensors in the Model X doors in the Model S hatch when they did the refresh.

I was quite relieved that day!

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
I put a piece of blue painter's tape on the wall. When the passenger mirror gets ahead of the tape, I know the car is clear of the door opening.

This reminds me of an easter egg I found in my refresh S 1 or 2 years ago. I was parked in a parking garage with a low hanging beam right over the trunk lid. As I was walking up to the car I hit the trunk open to put something in the back not thinking about the beam and only noticed when the lid got close. But it stopped short (lower than it normally does). It appears Tesla put the same sensors in the Model X doors in the Model S hatch when they did the refresh.

I was quite relieved that day!

I hang a thin string from the garage ceiling, with an orange wire twist nut filled with lead shot

When it hits the wind shield in front of me, I am good.

Has anyone with AP1 already received 2020.28.*? I heard that it reduces the AP nag to 10s from current 30s? That'll be very disappointing if so. Not looking forward for it :-( Hope that's not true. Will be good if anyone can confirm.

You heard from where? you have a link?

There is nothing mentioned in the 2020.28.6 thread , and with 75% of the total fleet on a .28.5 or .28.6 over the last 2 weeks update we would surely have heard the screaming and complaining by now...

My garage door (and I assume many others) have hinges that protrude like very sharp blades. I have had not one but two cars damaged because the sensors will still let the door close when the car has cleared the door but it is still close enough for the hinges to scratch the paint. No way I am letting the door close by itself...

I fixed the "sharp blades" problem on our heavy wooden garage doors with a couple of pieces of foam pipe insulation from Home Depot on the metal crossmembers. EASY and CHEAP.

The lower piece protects the bumper when our garage door is going down... and the upper protects the hatchback if we accidentally open it when the garage door is closed.

We used these for YEARS to protect our Jeep Grand Cherokee, Toyota Prius, Corvette Z06... They work GREAT !!!

VEU4CsQ3SyenqOUxwhR8zg_thumb_5a07.jpg

yes. I don't know anything about supercharging rescinding, but I notice no changes over 2020.24.6.4. Everything is working fine.

actually someone else mentioned this and I finally got around to check; but I spoke too soon: Not everything works :

no hi- res files will play from the USB. Regular 16 bit files play fine but neither of the 24 bit albums I have on this USB will play after 2020.24.6.11 was updated. ( might have been the firmware preceding it)

Anyone else unable to manually charge outside of scheduled departure?

Charged to 70% last night. Setting manual charge limit to 90% now and pressing “Start Charging”. Charges for like 2 minutes, drops the SoC selection limit to 50%, and stops charging.

Tried different SoC limits, lower max charge current, reboots. Nothing

Happening on both my UMC1 and UMC2.

The good reason is to protect pets or small children who might lie down under the door beneath the sensor beam.

Reactions: Vinc