Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i-dFWvC3X-X2.jpg

Monitoring TeslaFi the last few days. I do see the occasional AP1 Model S update to .48.10 but I also saw an AP1 update to .36.11. I assume that .48.10 is for AP1 MCU2 owners and AP1 MCU1 owners will be kept on .36.11, at least in the EU for now.

Monitoring TeslaFi the last few days. I do see the occasional AP1 Model S update to .48.10 but I also saw an AP1 update to .36.11. I assume that .48.10 is for AP1 MCU2 owners and AP1 MCU1 owners will be kept on .36.11, at least in the EU for now.

That is what I assumed as well.
  • 2020.36.11 = Latest general release to all user worldwide
  • 2020.40.9.2 = "Advanced setting" users in North America (maybe world wide?) <-- I have this version AP1/MCU1 Advanced setting
  • 2020.48.10 = AP1 with MCU2 upgraded people.
I was waiting to see if they would offer a end of year discount on the MCU2 upgrade but it doesn't look like they are so I am probably going to get the upgrade done Q1 2021 just to keep my 2016 MS to be as modern as possible.

Reactions: SmartElectric
  • 2020.40.9.2 = "Advanced setting" users in North America (maybe world wide?) <-- I have this version AP1/MCU1 Advanced setting
I was waiting to see if they would offer a end of year discount on the MCU2 upgrade but it doesn't look like they are so I am probably going to get the upgrade done Q1 2021 just to keep my 2016 MS to be as modern as possible.
I have AP1 and MCU1 and recently got 2020.48.10.
Only the text messaging change showed up in my release notes, Not the Trax thing.

I had an interesting discussing with member Krash about the upgrade path for the MCU2. He had some theories on Tesla switching to a new platform soon, something like MCU2.1. As we're all waiting for a refresh model S I would expect Tesla to also refresh the MCU (and include 5G). I'm holding off buying MCU2 for now, let's see where they're at at the end of next year.

That would be unfortunate for me, I was hoping for 48.10 to get the MCU1 error message.

About 17% of AP1 cars on the above release, up 5% in the last week. Could that many folks be getting an MCU2 upgrade?

I had an interesting discussing with member Krash about the upgrade path for the MCU2. He had some theories on Tesla switching to a new platform soon, something like MCU2.1. As we're all waiting for a refresh model S I would expect Tesla to also refresh the MCU (and include 5G). I'm holding off buying MCU2 for now, let's see where they're at at the end of next year.

An interior refresh with a newer MCU and adjacent interior bits seems possible, if the parts are all interchangeable with current and older models.

I will just take some time off, relax, and wait for the refresh....

My biggest fear of waiting for MCU2 upgrade (or potentially 2.1 or 2+) is that it is possible that they stop offering the upgrade. I don't think it is going to be that soon since 'Model S with Autopilot Computer 1.0 and manual lift gate' is still listed as 'coming soon' but they have removed upgrades in the past such as the 'uncorking' and roadster battery upgrade, or parts run out and they just dont offer things such as the Center Console upgrade for cars with the Yacht floor.

Reactions: AustinP

Just got the notice for 40.9.2. I have AP1 and MCU1, just recently switched to advanced notification.

I am tempted to update to get the MCU1 failure message, but I hear even if you do get the message does not mean you will get a replacement daughter board and eMMC.

Just got the notice for 40.9.2. I have AP1 and MCU1, just recently switched to advanced notification.

I am tempted to update to get the MCU1 failure message, but I hear even if you do get the message does not mean you will get a replacement daughter board and eMMC.

Not sure about the fix, I think it varies from service center to service center. Even if it did pop up to get replaced I might suggest scheduling it out until the new year since they will be slammed with End of Year deliveries and probably try to push you out the door and not fix it since they are so busy now.

I just kinda made up that assumption of version numbers what who they go out to. I don't have any inside information so I could easily be wrong.

Reactions: oaito