Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the plunge tonight and updated to 40.9.2. Only 27 minutes, and no black screen!

Not that much has changed in the last 4 updates that I can see, I was on 2020.4.1

Nav data is also updating to 48. When it is done, will do a few reboots and see how it goes tomorrow.

How low can it go?! The nerfing seems to be affecting cold battery AC charging as well, perhaps taking the increased internal resistance into account. Basically "opportunity charging" whether DC or AC becomes a "warm up/keep the battery warm" charging when tooling around town, as regen. braking is gone at anything below 50ºF/10ºC. At around freezing the battery will not even charge unless it can heat up first, so cars parked outside and cold-soaked (like mine) get screwed. Gotta keep them plugged in and preconditioned.

This won't cheer you up, but you are correct. Chargegate also reduces charging rates at low temps, and it's cousin, regengate, reduces regen below about 65 deg F.

This is my P85D. As you can see.. I have very minimal DC charging. Maybe thats why it still stays over 100 for a while? It will eventually drop below 100 after 50% or so though. I also received 40.9.2 last night (haven't charged on it yet).

View attachment 618236

View attachment 618235

Where did the data on what type of charging the car has done come from? It would be interesting to look that up for my car, though I'm probably down there where your car is too. Probably a little higher on DC charging, but not by much.

You need a CAN reader in conjunction with an app like ScanMyTesla or other.

You may also be able to request the running DC fast charge total, but knowing Tesla they'll probably be assholes about it somehow being proprietary data.

Even if they did give you the data they would probably charge you a diagnostic fee and state that your battery is "Fine"

It is not the SvC personnel, it is the head of sales and CS, who will not delegate, being the aforementioned alimentary track opening...

So my S70D with 86k miles got 2020.40.9.2 last night. Today I preheated the car for about half an hour, ran errands, selected a Supercharger to "precondition" the battery and drove another 20 minutes to it to plug in. Ambient T was about 3ºC/37ºF. This is what I got, the Supercharger session lasted about 35 minutes:
SoC Power
47% 41kW
50% 38kW
55% 36kW
60% 31kW
65% 28kW
70% 26kW
75% 24kW

About half the speed of what it was when new. 90% SoC offers 202 rated miles, 215 when new, so 6% energy capacity degradation according to the car.

Compare to similar charging conditions on a 85 pack earlier this year on 2020.4.1, except out side temps about 50 deg F higher:
IMG_20200611_124506811.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv
When I went down to CA in October I thought I had been throttled at the first two superchargers because I didn't see better than 80 KW, but both were crowded. When I got a supercharger to myself I got 110KW for at least part of the charge cycle.

It was abnormally warm in California. Morro Bay where the day time high is usually in the 60s F was 90F the day of my father's funeral. I always plugged in after driving a while so the battery was plenty warm.

BTW, I just got 2020.48.12.1 update. Only a week after 2020.48.10. It's unusual to see two that close together.

So my S70D with 86k miles got 2020.40.9.2 last night. Today I preheated the car for about half an hour, ran errands, selected a Supercharger to "precondition" the battery and drove another 20 minutes to it to plug in. Ambient T was about 3ºC/37ºF. This is what I got, the Supercharger session lasted about 35 minutes:
SoC Power
47% 41kW
50% 38kW
55% 36kW
60% 31kW
65% 28kW
70% 26kW
75% 24kW

About half the speed of what it was when new. 90% SoC offers 202 rated miles, 215 when new, so 6% energy capacity degradation according to the car.
which version 90kw pack do you have? Version 1, 2 or 3?

I get 150kw on mine still. Ya'll need to arrive to the supercharger with 10%, that's the sweet spot. 40%+ beyond starts tapering off. Utilize www.abetterrouteplanner.com

The way superchargers are spaced along I-5 north of Sacramento, I usually arrive with 30-40% left. By the time I've made a human relief stop and possibly something else I wanted to do at the stop, the car is pretty close to 90%.

Reactions: bhzmark