Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently, in the U.S. AT&T is phasing out the 3G network by February 2022. I wonder what would happen then to the cars still with 3G chip? Will they be forced to pay to upgrade to 4G (as it's the case now) or Tesla will offer free upgrade in order to maintain the connectivity to monitor those cars?

Anyone?

This is also the case in the Netherlands, albeit a month earlier. Inquired with Tesla SC, they were not aware but offered the LTE card as a solution. I thought about waiting for 5G but according to this article sunsetting of 4G LTE will not happen until 2030. I'm happy with a projected 9 year lifespan so when I have to replace my eMMC I'll have the LTE card added which will save me the labour.

The older cars (with their unlimited premium connectivity and FUSC) are no longer Tesla's first priority which makes sense. All the weaknesses of the model S are known by now as they spent the last 8 years solving most issues. As newer cars are introduced they will receive the most attention which is only natural. Following my own logic I therefore gave up waiting for MCU2.1 or 5G. The car is good enough as-is and I hope to enjoy driving it for a long time.

Apparently, in the U.S. AT&T is phasing out the 3G network by February 2022. I wonder what would happen then to the cars still with 3G chip? Will they be forced to pay to upgrade to 4G (as it's the case now) or Tesla will offer free upgrade in order to maintain the connectivity to monitor those cars?

Monitoring the cars is possible through 2g EDGE connection. Loading online maps or satellite images as long as spotify and tunein as we all agree, not so much. But then again, you could do what some of the newer customers are doing, creating a wifi hotspot with your mobile and connecting with your car while in drive.

I do not think there will be a free of charge update. Similar to the CCS update here in Europe, new v3 only chargers come with CCS connectors and lightweight fluid cooled cables only and most upgraded or extended locations tend to have more and more only CCS connectors, yet still the upgrade on the car comes with ~300Euro price tag. When scheduling mobile service for the CCS upgrade, you will not pay extra for a call-out charge. And this price was critically acclaimed as a bargain.

Perhaps with the shutdown of 3G services a similar discounted price tag will come up for a 4G update.

BR! Oaito.

877 since last install. Still on 2018.28.5. In car services still all work except live supercharger status. Of course I don't have app access. I do still have 240 miles of range at 117K miles (down from 253 when new), full supercharging speed, and nearly the same power I had when I did the Ludicrous upgrade at 17K miles.
It's been 865 days since 2018.32.4, a slightly later flavor of 8.1 in which USB audio works great, the UI is still relatively usable, and charging speed and range aren't throttled. Giving up app access and real-time supercharger status to keep these things is not a bad tradeoff, IMO.

I think the forcing function will come in 2022, if/when navigation 3G access is cut off, and the car turns 8 years old. Yikes, that's next year!! :eek:

Reactions: vdiv and sorka
It's been 865 days since 2018.32.4, a slightly later flavor of 8.1 in which USB audio works great, the UI is still relatively usable, and charging speed and range aren't throttled. Giving up app access and real-time supercharger status to keep these things is not a bad tradeoff, IMO.

I think the forcing function will come in 2022, if/when navigation 3G access is cut off, and the car turns 8 years old. Yikes, that's next year!! :eek:

Glad I got a free LTE upgrade when my MCU was replaced at 50K miles under warranty.

Reactions: oaito
Has anyone seen this error when trying to supercharge: “Unable to DC fast charge / supercharge”?
I have been supercharging this car for 3 years and never had this error. It’s now happened two times in a row while other cars were supercharging (3 and Y).
Some thoughts: I am still on 2020.48 and resisting the pending upgrade, and the supercharger is 250kW.

I had mine say that just a day or two ago but it could have been a broken charger. It showed one or more were broke on the screen but without them saying which ones it's just a guess. I moved to a diff spot and it worked fine. I was only one there so I just picked a diff spot that wasn't paired with the one I chose.

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv and rsg123
I had mine say that just a day or two ago but it could have been a broken charger. It showed one or more were broke on the screen but without them saying which ones it's just a guess. I moved to a diff spot and it worked fine. I was only one there so I just picked a diff spot that wasn't paired with the one I chose.

I actually tried 4 different spots at that 250kW SC and none worked. So because I am planning a road trip this weekend and can’t have failed charges, I updated to 2020.48.12.1 and just tried a 150kW SC and it’s working fine. I will try the original 250kW one that I was having problems with on my way home from work and report back to see if the software had anything to do with it.

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv
I actually tried 4 different spots at that 250kW SC and none worked. So because I am planning a road trip this weekend and can’t have failed charges, I updated to 2020.48.12.1 and just tried a 150kW SC and it’s working fine. I will try the original 250kW one that I was having problems with on my way home from work and report back to see if the software had anything to do with it.
I'm on 48.30 and that was first time I saw it. I was on road trip back from Florida to CO so I was sketched out that I'd be stranded in Kansas when I saw that error as I only had 7% charge remaining when I arrived. But thankfully was able to keep going by using different charger.

• Informative
Reactions: vdiv

Just to update, on my way home yesterday I stopped by the supercharger that failed to charge my car last week and earlier that same day while on the older software. I used the same stall and it worked fine. It’s possible that they repaired it during the 8 hours, but maybe the failure was due to the older software on a 250kW charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Last night when I went in our attached garage I herd our 2015 Model S 85 Tesla making some noise. I had not charged it for few days and the noise is not from the battery cooling pump that I hear after I charge the car.

Any idea as to why it would be making noise? Have other "old" Tesla owners observed such behavior? Is it communicating with mother ship?