Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My MCU is dying. It's rebooting itself more often and taking longer to reboot. I contacted them about upgrading and the tech said they dropped the price to $1500 for the MCU upgrade and another $500 for the radio. He said it was probably because of the recall and it was going to cast them the same in labor to replace the chip or the MCU.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Err... seems that 2020.48.37 fixed the false "Some windows are open" indicator in the app, but need more time to verify.
As far as charging speeds are concerned we are not getting them back on these batteries. It will only get worse. AC L1 and L2 speeds are now affected too with the car having to heat the batteries to lower the internal resistance and heat outputted by charging the cells.

Reactions: aerodyne
people who think we are getting supercharging speeds back are crazy. honestly its not the speed i'm concerned with its the aggressive taper that kills us. I've hit speed at over 125kwh on my P85D but it literally tapers off to low 100s almost immediately.

My 85 tapers almost immediately to double digits no matter battery temp or SOC. Unfortunately if you take a lot of road trips you will be forced to upgrade your Tesla soon. I’m sure that’s behind at least some of the motivation to slow charging speeds.
When I first got my car in 2017 our usual route from NorCal to SoCal would incur an additional hour each way because of charging. Our trip last month saw 1 hour and 45 minutes for charging each way.

Last edited:
My S85 2015 2020.48.12.1

"85er" = charging kW + current SoC

After driving ~100km of German Autobahn (first leg, with preconditioning triggered by Supercharger as destination)

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-07 um 16.06.49.png

second leg

Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-07 um 15.59.34.png

Just got it on my AP1/MCU1 90D.
Tesla needs to fire their UI designers. The instrument cluster is a ****ing mess.

PRND immediately above the stalk you control it with? Nah - let’s move it to the other side with the battery. Bonus points if you have navigation enabled at the start of your drive pulling out of a parking spot while close to something and the next turn in the IC blocks PRND so you have no idea what direction is energized!

Balance the icons? Nah let’s overcrowd the left side of the IC.

Want information readily obvious? Nah let’s decrease font and icon sizes.

Positives: much more obvious when one is on AP, looks like they increased the resolution of the sprites and pop ups.
Unfortunately didn’t get to do a video trace of supercharging as I was on a time crunch.

I received 2020.48.37 yesterday. I took quickie phone photos of all my settings just in case of random reset.

I don't think the font point size for the speed has decreased, but it's definitely "skinny" now. Like going from numbers in bold font to numbers in regular font: 88 vs 88.

Only drove about 5 miles yesterday so I didn't notice any strange behaviors. I did notice the "D" in the PRND turns blue when autosteer is active (MCU1/AP1).

Tesla needs to fire their UI designers. The instrument cluster is a ****ing mess.

PRND immediately above the stalk you control it with? Nah - let’s move it to the other side with the battery. Bonus points if you have navigation enabled at the start of your drive pulling out of a parking spot while close to something and the next turn in the IC blocks PRND so you have no idea what direction is energized!

Positives: much more obvious when one is on AP, looks like they increased the resolution of the sprites and pop ups.
Unfortunately didn’t get to do a video trace of supercharging as I was on a time crunch.
2021.4.3 and this is immediately what I noticed about the instrument cluster. Right now I'm not going to say I dislike it, but the whole setup is different to what my eyes are used to.

This shift of the PRND from the right to the left is asinine... ass a ten... ass an eleven... I thought I hated it until I witnessed my wife discover it for the first time post-update in her car. Wow, she really hated it and I would say that she is more like the typical car owner rather than me who tends to be a little more forgiving of such things. Not a good move Tesla. I now find myself putting it into D several times while having to actively move my head around to see where the indicator is to know it's in gear. since this lower left location is often obstructed by the wheel and/or my arm.

Also, anyone else with a Performance car notice that this latest firmware update (once again) broke launch control? Whenever you activate it it just gives you the "Both peddles pressed" warning/error and nothing else happens. I even double checked the "How to use launch control" help screen to see if they changed the physical sequence once again since this was what happened the last time post-update when I wasn't able to engage it. Nope. Still the same sequence, it just doesn't do anything. Bad timing for me since I just bought a new(er) P90DL and hadn't yet had a chance to do a full launch control to compare it to my P85DL.

This is becoming the norm where Tesla will break something, it remains for an update or two and then it fixes for an update or two only to return once again down the road. They did this with the Bluetooth too where they broke it for several months and then it was fixed via the 2nd or 3rd incremental update only to revert to being broke again several updates later. It's like they save builds and then leap frog each other forgetting to fix the bugs that were broken from that previous version before pushing it out again.

This practice is really draining my tolerance for such behavior.

Update to fix the totally avoidable bugs from the previous update to fix the totally avoidable bugs from the previous update to fix...

And then they wonder why the eMMC dies, get upset when owners and finally the regulators start asking questions and demand solutions.

The false "Some windows are open" messages in the app are back, 2020.48.37 did not fix that.

Reactions: Droschke