Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This shift of the PRND from the right to the left is asinine... ass a ten... ass an eleven... I thought I hated it until I witnessed my wife discover it for the first time post-update in her car. Wow, she really hated it and I would say that she is more like the typical car owner rather than me who tends to be a little more forgiving of such things. Not a good move Tesla. I now find myself putting it into D several times while having to actively move my head around to see where the indicator is to know it's in gear. since this lower left location is often obstructed by the wheel and/or my arm.

Also, anyone else with a Performance car notice that this latest firmware update (once again) broke launch control? Whenever you activate it it just gives you the "Both peddles pressed" warning/error and nothing else happens. I even double checked the "How to use launch control" help screen to see if they changed the physical sequence once again since this was what happened the last time post-update when I wasn't able to engage it. Nope. Still the same sequence, it just doesn't do anything. Bad timing for me since I just bought a new(er) P90DL and hadn't yet had a chance to do a full launch control to compare it to my P85DL.

This is becoming the norm where Tesla will break something, it remains for an update or two and then it fixes for an update or two only to return once again down the road. They did this with the Bluetooth too where they broke it for several months and then it was fixed via the 2nd or 3rd incremental update only to revert to being broke again several updates later. It's like they save builds and then leap frog each other forgetting to fix the bugs that were broken from that previous version before pushing it out again.

This practice is really draining my tolerance for such behavior.
Hadn’t noticed the launch control broke yet again. Wouldn’t be using it until spring most likely.

Hadn’t noticed the launch control broke yet again. Wouldn’t be using it until spring most likely.
If you get a chance, check it. You don't have to release the brake to actually do it but I'd be curious if others on the same firmware update are experiencing the same lack of launch mode. As I said, it's a new (to me) car so I'm hoping it doesn't have some sort of issue. I could get my P85DL out of the garage to check I suppose but I'm lazy. lol

This is becoming the norm where Tesla will break something, it remains for an update or two and then it fixes for an update or two only to return once again down the road.

Can’t wait to get back the ability to access home link/garage door while backing into the driveway.

We really need a legit customer interface between Tesla and us where we report bugs/feature requests. This method of having to tweet Elon is insulting, and beyond frustrating. Please keep this *sugar* in mind when I ask for y’all’s support to vote for my question on the next earnings call.

We’ve been one question away from being asking each time I’ve asked it, vs some BS softball questions about nothing useful at all.

Reactions: dark cloud
If you get a chance, check it. You don't have to release the brake to actually do it but I'd be curious if others on the same firmware update are experiencing the same lack of launch mode. As I said, it's a new (to me) car so I'm hoping it doesn't have some sort of issue. I could get my P85DL out of the garage to check I suppose but I'm lazy. lol
I drove some yesterday but didn't get a chance to check it. Rain and temperatures around 34F, and according to the manual Launch mode requires temps higher than 37F.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I drove some yesterday but didn't get a chance to check it. Rain and temperatures around 34F, and according to the manual Launch mode requires temps higher than 37F.
Maybe that was the holdup then because I think it was pretty cold & could have been below that temp. That would be the easiest explanation as well as the easiest solution which I'm all for. I'll have to test it out when it gets a little bit warmer which should be sooner than later here in Colorado hopefully.

Updated last night

Attachments

• 20210216_074944.jpg
    20210216_074944.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 123
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Also, anyone else with a Performance car notice that this latest firmware update (once again) broke launch control? Whenever you activate it it just gives you the "Both peddles pressed" warning/error and nothing else happens. I even double checked the "How to use launch control" help screen to see if they changed the physical sequence once again since this was what happened the last time post-update when I wasn't able to engage it. Nope. Still the same sequence, it just doesn't do anything. Bad timing for me since I just bought a new(er) P90DL and hadn't yet had a chance to do a full launch control to compare it to my P85DL.

Launch still works, 2014 P85DL

Reactions: Ostrichsak
One thing I can say.. as soon as I upgraded to MCU2 I received 2 updates within 3 days and got 2021.4.3 the day it came out. Last one fixed the dark rear camera. Upgrade took 3.5 hours and only had to re-pair phone and garage/homelink. Confirmed that they replaced the centre screen on the invoice. I was on the fence as the value on an AP1 car is less. I have never used the cars tuner so not missing anything there (I can stream all my stations). I also noticed that it shows cars that are very far away on the centre dash. Probably twice as far as the MCU1 unit. I suspect the updates for MCU1 will slow (what we have seen) and new toys will come to MCU2 units. I see 2021.4.5 is rollin in China now and has TikTok app built in (another time waster that I cant put down). I LOVE the upgrade and would do it again in a second. What other manufacturer will let you spend 1% of the cars original list value 6 years later to make it get all new features/computers. Impressive when you think of it that way. Now if we could only mount the 2021 S computer sideways in our cars!!! haha

Last edited:
noticed something mildly annoying today when trying to adjust my windshield wiper nozzles that would spray over the car. When pushing the wiper service mode to on it took nearly 3 minutes for the damn blades to move to the 'service' position. then to test the new spray had to get in the car, close door and turn on wipers. Then put back in service mode and wait 3 min for the blades to move out from the cowl to get to the sprayers for any additional adjustments.