Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you kidding? Having charge finish at a specific time is a feature people have been begging for since 2013. This is huge!

I am curious - Did you sell your 2015 Tesla S to Tesla or private sale ? I would appreciate any helpful suggestions. I am thinking of selling my 2015 Model S 85 once it warms up here. It has only 21,800 miles on it and looks brand new inside and out. I would like to buy the new refreshed "long Range" Model S. Hopefully that will obviate all the problems AP1/MCU1 folks describe in this blog.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I am curious - Did you sell your 2015 Tesla S to Tesla or private sale ? I would appreciate any helpful suggestions. I am thinking of selling my 2015 Model S 85 once it warms up here. It has only 21,800 miles on it and looks brand new inside and out. I would like to buy the new refreshed "long Range" Model S. Hopefully that will obviate all the problems AP1/MCU1 folks describe in this blog.

If I did not already have one, id love to buy a gently used '15 with good HV pack and records, as opposed to taking my chances with Tesla.

PP is the way to go.

I think there is a chance there will be a run, if short lived, on the older models.

Not everyone is good with the refresh...

• Informative
Reactions: RobK
Private sale. Tesla’s trade in offer for my high mileage vehicle was a joke. On the other hand I sold it privately at the upper end of kbb within 24 hours.

MS 2016 prelift AP1 MCU P90DL V1 battery. I was on 2020.20.1 since last June. After the public issues with eMMC and being recommended to update (by the Tesla recall notice thingy) I requested a service update. They managed to push 2020.48.12 a few days back. Since then every 5 minutes my coolant pumps run for one minute. Today I got another update to 2020.48.37 and my pumps are still running for one minute every 5 minutes. What is happening!? Is this good or bad or part of normal battery checking?

James

MS 2016 prelift AP1 MCU P90DL V1 battery. I was on 2020.20.1 since last June. After the public issues with eMMC and being recommended to update (by the Tesla recall notice thingy) I requested a service update. They managed to push 2020.48.12 a few days back. Since then every 5 minutes my coolant pumps run for one minute. Today I got another update to 2020.48.37 and my pumps are still running for one minute every 5 minutes. What is happening!? Is this good or bad or part of normal battery checking?

James

If your state of charge is on the high side (>75%) then it is perfectly "normal", but they typically just stay on for a time, and don't cycle like that, at least in my car.

Defining "normal" is a difficult task for a company that is changing the BMS for the batteries on a month to month basis.

If your state of charge is on the high side (>75%) then it is perfectly "normal", but they typically just stay on for a time, and don't cycle like that, at least in my car.

Defining "normal" is a difficult task for a company that is changing the BMS for the batteries on a month to month basis.
The reason for the pump running endlessly is simple:
The battery is warrantied for 8 years and the pump only 4 years. Tesla doesn't care if they burn out your pump. Between years 4-8 you will have to pay for that repair, potentially saving them from replacing a pack under warranty.

The battery is warrantied for 8 years and the pump only 4 years. Tesla doesn't care if they burn out your pump. Between years 4-8 you will have to pay for that repair, potentially saving them from replacing a pack under warranty.
This fact is difficult to ignore and is exactly why Tesla should have stuck with their original verbiage of "powertrain warranty" and just covered ALL related components as required to the powertrain. Instead, they saw how much money they could save leaving long-term customers who helped to put them on the map out in the cold to be profitable. These are the decisions that will haunt them after it's too late.

This is just speculation and conspiracy thinking. Please take a look at the write up of wk057. This explains why the pumps run. Do not spread misinformation.

James

Do you leave your car plugged in at home? I normally do and ran into a quirk/bug about 18 months ago that the car won't go fully to sleep after a firmware update. I discovered by accident that when I unplug the car and leave it unplugged overnight, the car goes to sleep properly and continues to sleep properly until the next update.

This is a different symptom, but it might be worth trying if you normally leave the car plugged in.

• Informative
If your state of charge is on the high side (>75%) then it is perfectly "normal", ......

Less than 50%.

I bought CPO and still have over two years left on everything!

Do you leave your car plugged in at home? I normally do and ran into a quirk/bug about 18 months ago that the car won't go fully to sleep after a firmware update. I discovered by accident that when I unplug the car and leave it unplugged overnight, the car goes to sleep properly and continues to sleep properly until the next update.

This is a different symptom, but it might be worth trying if you normally leave the car plugged in.

Unplugged. I remember now last year having the issue of the car always being on. The way I got it to sleep was to name my Tesla The Gimp. That seemed to work. Maybe they have a workaround now!

I guess as I didn't have an update for eight months it might be playing catch up on battery checking - but the 90 pack was not affected by the BMB fault mentioned by wk057?

James

This is just speculation and conspiracy thinking. Please take a look at the write up of wk057. This explains why the pumps run. Do not spread misinformation.

Yeah Barry, stop FUDding around....

• Funny
Reactions: Barry and mspohr
It's not FUD, Tesla knew about the eMMC limited life, they were fully in control of its use and they burned it out. And for what?
With the battery they have a ~$20k incentive if they are on the hook to replace it.
So why would Tesla intentionally burn out the eMMC?
It seems they would want to avoid problems.
What incentive do they have to burn out the eMMC?
(Put on your conspiracy thinking cap.)

Indeed, for what? When they are in a position where they cannot avoid having problems they choose the lesser of those. If the batteries are problematic, they choose workarounds instead of replacing the problem, even (or specially) when those workarounds are at the expense of the owners, and not Tesla's. The eMMC saga has been a great example of that, now revelations are coming out that the battery throttling is another one.

• Disagree
Indeed, for what? When they are in a position where they cannot avoid having problems they choose the lesser of those. If the batteries are problematic, they choose workarounds instead of replacing the problem, even (or specially) when those workarounds are at the expense of the owners, and not Tesla's. The eMMC saga has been a great example of that, now revelations are coming out that the battery throttling is another one.
So... why would Tesla intentionally burn up the eMMC ?

I got what I thought was a new update today, but it turned out to have the same number (2020.48.37) as the one installed a few days ago.
If the release number is different, I would not know, as I do not record those. First time in 5+ years I can recall getting the same one twice....