Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
unplug the car and leave it unplugged overnight
Fully agree, my car runs way smother if it has a time of deep sleep overnight :) I even go a bit further, since I am not updating asap anymore I've established a routine in advance:

I usually start Updates in the evening.
Before the update, I ensure that the MCU and IC were rebooted within the last week at least. And the car is unplugged ;)
After the update went through (successfully) I usually restart the CD and IC manually and let it sit online (LTE) for ~20 Minutes, usually the time I am trying to figure out what changes were made and if everything is running as expected. (By starting: routing, SuC in vicinity, playing DAB, then TuneIn and Spotify, loading the SUC-MAP (pretty accurate here) etc.) :D
For the night I open the drivers side door, lock the car manually through the padlock (upper left corner in CD) and open the shutdown dialog from the security settings. Then I leave the car and while being outside I lean back in to confirm shutdown while carefully not triggering the weight sensor of the drivers seat, closing the door and now leave the car for the night.
The start next morning takes a bit longer, but normally I can drive on without manual reset then. :cool:

Best regards! Oaito.

PS: Due to Corona my regular driving has been decimated, additionally two of my three kids moved out and with it the family "taxi-services" went down. I try to shop only once or twice a week to reduce contact situations. On the weekends we drive a bit to explore new and scarcely visited hiking trails. Thus I normally only need to charge the car once a week, for that I'm using a free CCS 50kW at the mall whilst shopping for the week. In order to minimize idle drain and extend 12V battery live, I regularly charge/recondition the 12V through a separate pulse charger (ctek). I've made additional settings accordingly:
- Energy Saving on, uncheck always connected
- Range Mode on, especially when using the car only for short trips during my (corona) week
- Shut Down over night (see above)

2.PS: I tend to act on my OCD-like tendencies by following such procedures, I am aware that the gain is possibly not worth the effort, yet for me it is kind of fun. ;)

Fully agree, my car runs way smother if it has a time of deep sleep overnight :) I even go a bit further, since I am not updating asap anymore I've established a routine in advance:

I usually start Updates in the evening.
Before the update, I ensure that the MCU and IC were rebooted within the last week at least. And the car is unplugged ;)
After the update went through (successfully) I usually restart the CD and IC manually and let it sit online (LTE) for ~20 Minutes, usually the time I am trying to figure out what changes were made and if everything is running as expected. (By starting: routing, SuC in vicinity, playing DAB, then TuneIn and Spotify, loading the SUC-MAP (pretty accurate here) etc.) :D
For the night I open the drivers side door, lock the car manually through the padlock (upper left corner in CD) and open the shutdown dialog from the security settings. Then I leave the car and while being outside I lean back in to confirm shutdown while carefully not triggering the weight sensor of the drivers seat, closing the door and now leave the car for the night.
The start next morning takes a bit longer, but normally I can drive on without manual reset then. :cool:

Best regards! Oaito.

PS: Due to Corona my regular driving has been decimated, additionally two of my three kids moved out and with it the family "taxi-services" went down. I try to shop only once or twice a week to reduce contact situations. On the weekends we drive a bit to explore new and scarcely visited hiking trails. Thus I normally only need to charge the car once a week, for that I'm using a free CCS 50kW at the mall whilst shopping for the week. In order to minimize idle drain and extend 12V battery live, I regularly charge/recondition the 12V through a separate pulse charger (ctek). I've made additional settings accordingly:
- Energy Saving on, uncheck always connected
- Range Mode on, especially when using the car only for short trips during my (corona) week
- Shut Down over night (see above)

2.PS: I tend to act on my OCD-like tendencies by following such procedures, I am aware that the gain is possibly not worth the effort, yet for me it is kind of fun. ;)
Why would you need an update routine? My routine is as I receive update notifications on my phone on my cars all sitting out in the garage in various states of plug or unplugged, recently rebooted or not, I simply tap the option on the screen to upgrade the firmware on each car. Done. Next time I need to drive one I simply get in and drive away as normal. Never had an issue.

Why would you need an update routine? ... Never had an issue.

Lucky you! I've personally encountered several issues over the years in regard to updates, here are three examples:

Sometimes navigation stopped working after a succesful update, endlessly spinning and then unable to even route to the next SuC or to my home, stating: No Route available.

Once I've started the update remotely while the car was sitting in the parking lot of a Hotel and after the update was finished the car was unlocked over night, someone actually took the time to sit in my car in the night for a smoke (I stopped smoking decades ago), going through settings and played some music in spotify (according to the recently played), even routed to some locations. Found my stash of cold brewed coffee packs and drank them as long as roughly 30€ in coins for parking, car wash etc. There was no CCTV and luckily no damage, also he/she seemingly did not know about the Frunk, so the charging cables and adapters were untouched.

But the worst issue came up after an update which somehow triggered a factory reset loop which was not able to permanently store the success. Everytime the car went into sleep (in the night) it woke up with the onscreen message: Factory reset was finished successfully! To make things worse, the APN for LTE internet access was also lost, so I've had to create a WIFI hotspot with my mobile in order to let the car being remotely diagnosed. Tesla was able to set the APN manually and push a full software reinstall over LTE, not an incremental update as usually, but rather a full software reinstall. This did the trick. I was told by the technician, that according to the latest logs they found there was a log overflow before the update clogging the relevant emmc partition which was not purged by the update procedure itself but would have been cut and deleted when the CD was reset.

Perhaps newer updates introduced automatic procedures to prevent such issues. Then I've seen things never got fixed or improved during more than five years of ownership, starting with v7. Also I've actually saw fixes get lost in later iterations of the firmware. And lately I've got the impression that optimizations e.g. routing nowadays seems to be optimized for newer cars and their charging behavior (less charging stops during long distance trips) and only after these SuC stops are set the routing takes additional 20-40 seconds to recalculate the longer charging times for an S85 and then increasing the charging duration. Leaving a less than "optimal" routing.

Best regards! Oaito.

Did a bunch of driving this week and got another supercharge capture.

Config: 68F ambient, V3 stall, 11-70% SOC, 27min charge time, after driving for 3 hours or so, 68k mi

Notes:
-Max rate of 112kW@36%
-Dropped below 100kW@50%
-99kW@50%
Yup, that is my my S90D looks like too. This is fleet average on 2021.4+ firmware:

1621998348213.png

Unfortunately MS85 battery cohorts aren't as lucky as us 90 pack people. 😢

Reactions: aerodyne
Did a bunch of driving this week and got another supercharge capture.

Config: 68F ambient, V3 stall, 11-70% SOC, 27min charge time, after driving for 3 hours or so, 68k mi

Notes:
-Max rate of 112kW@36%
-Dropped below 100kW@50%
-99kW@50%

85 here. I’d love to have over 100kW for longer than 2 minutes. The wife always wants to take our ICE on road trips now. Autopilot + free supercharging gives me enough patience to want to take the Tesla but not so much for her.

How's your rated range looking? I'm at about 250 according to both TeslaFi and my onboard guess-o-meter
~260 miles of rated range with the GoM. I have the 19" 5 spoke wheels as shown in the profile picture but was thinking of getting some 19" slipstreams for improved effeciency if I can find them cheap. I dont have a cable or app (yet) so I dont know the actual pack capacity and the "ideal range" is something bonkers like 360 miles but we know that isnt correct.

How's your rated range looking? I'm at about 250 according to both TeslaFi and my onboard guess-o-meter

My early refresh 2016 S90D was still rated at 298 until a couple of years ago when they reduced the range with a firmware update. Since then it's been rock solid at 290. The only degradation I've seen in 5 years is from that firmware update. Since that update my Wh/Mi has gone down too. I think it's 268 Wh/Mi since the MCU2 upgrade. I think I got lucky and got a really good battery pack.

I have late 2014 AP1 car delivered December 2014... one of the first AP1 cars

currently on
2020.36.3.1 11-September-2020
all updates have been installed and work fine... this is actually one of the longest periods without a new update that I can remember. Perhaps they have stopped updating my version... have not had issues with prior updates.
When I try to join this group, I receive the message: "
Your user group is unable to send PCs to anyone.
Please notify the site admin of this message.
(Maximum conversation recipients = 0)" Can you help me? Thanks, [email protected]

• Disagree
Reactions: immolated
Anyone else have their dashboard not "hang up" after a call over bluetooth? Pressing the end call button on my right scroll or the screen wheel doesn't work and the duration just counts on forever even when the other person hangs up. Can't continue my music or do anything after that.