Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized by accident yesterday that you can get the climate control by swiping up anywhere on the lower black bar, not just where the cabin temperature is at. The changes don't bother me as much after realizing where all the functions I normally use have been moved to.
That absolutely should aggravate you. The functions used to be intuitive - now they moved them to different places, didn't document the shortcuts, and give us no feedback mechanism. This is textbook bad UX

Reactions: QUBO and kavyboy
A week with MCU2 and I have my first major problem. No music audio comes through the speakers—slacker, Spotify, Bluetooth streaming etc. Autopilot sounds, phone calls, navigation, turn signals all work so I know it’s not the amplifier. I’ve tried the main screen and main screen +IC reboots, shut down and restart, brake held while rebooting. Has anyone experienced this so I have some knowledge when I ask Tesla to look into this? I never had any issues like this with MCU1

A week with MCU2 and I have my first major problem. No music audio comes through the speakers—slacker, Spotify, Bluetooth streaming etc. Autopilot sounds, phone calls, navigation, turn signals all work so I know it’s not the amplifier. I’ve tried the main screen and main screen +IC reboots, shut down and restart, brake held while rebooting. Has anyone experienced this so I have some knowledge when I ask Tesla to look into this? I never had any issues like this with MCU1
I haven’t had this but had once that after a call, the music would not come back. As if the phone was still muting it.
Maybe try to disconnect/forget your phone?

Reactions: rsg123

I know getting the upgraded radio is an extra when swapping MCUs. I got it because I listen to the radio a lot and cellular coverage in the hills we're in is maddeningly bad (our phones are always on WiFi at home). If you didn't get the radio upgrade maybe they didn't hook something up in the audio system?

MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade questions. Does upgrade resets your lifetime trip mileage data?
Was it worth the $1500+tax to upgrade.
I don't have the LTE upgrade yet which Tesla will do for $200, but I did do the eMMC replacement myself.

Unfortunately anything stored in the old MCU is lost, including navigation history, phone pairing, and the trip odometers. I took a picture of the trip odometers at the service center before dropping off the car. Other than the annoyances of having to set things up again, it was definitely worth it. My car was frequently rebooting before the change. I would end up sitting in parking lots for a few minutes waiting for the car to finish rebooting. Now the screen may take a few seconds to turn on when I get in the car, but it's like 10-20 seconds instead of 3-5 minutes.

There are features in the software that will be enabled like games. I tried one for a novelty once, but haven't really played any of them. The browser in MCU2 actually works and overall it's much faster than MCU1.

Reactions: Gr8pursuit
MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade questions. Does upgrade resets your lifetime trip mileage data?
Was it worth the $1500+tax to upgrade.
I don't have the LTE upgrade yet which Tesla will do for $200, but I did do the eMMC replacement myself.
Your maps SD card will fail soon. That’s $250. The LTE upgrade will be required soon. That’s probably another $250 (not sure). I would just do the MCU2 update and take care of all these things now, and get a much smoother interface. Well worth it, even if you lose your trip data.

Reactions: Gr8pursuit
I haven’t had this but had once that after a call, the music would not come back. As if the phone was still muting it.
Maybe try to disconnect/forget your phone?
So that didn’t work, and in the morning it wasn’t working either. While I was messing with it on my drive, I reconnected my phone and tried to stream music. That didn’t work, however all of a sudden I started hearing the phone’s keyboard clicks through the speakers. All audio then started working. Weird.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
It's not an upgraded radio. It's a replacement, compatible radio. And actually, it's a downgraded radio as it doesn't include AM, does it?

The reason the original radio module won't work with MCU2 is (as I understand) the original radio was analog and the new radio is digital. You do lose AM, but I think the sound quality on FM is better than the old radio. I occasionally get some digital distortion in the hills, but it's less noisy than the old radio was.

When I was contemplating the upgrade my partner pointed out that an older Tesla with an upgraded MCU was probably worth more resale value when I do move on to another car. (Not planning anytime soon, I kept the last car 24 years, but probably not this one.)

I know getting the upgraded radio is an extra when swapping MCUs. I got it because I listen to the radio a lot and cellular coverage in the hills we're in is maddeningly bad (our phones are always on WiFi at home). If you didn't get the radio upgrade maybe they didn't hook something up in the audio system?

Unfortunately anything stored in the old MCU is lost, including navigation history, phone pairing, and the trip odometers. I took a picture of the trip odometers at the service center before dropping off the car. Other than the annoyances of having to set things up again, it was definitely worth it. My car was frequently rebooting before the change. I would end up sitting in parking lots for a few minutes waiting for the car to finish rebooting. Now the screen may take a few seconds to turn on when I get in the car, but it's like 10-20 seconds instead of 3-5 minutes.

There are features in the software that will be enabled like games. I tried one for a novelty once, but haven't really played any of them. The browser in MCU2 actually works and overall it's much faster than MCU1.
I didn't loose all my data only need to pair my phones again.

It will be worth more, yes, but you absolutely will never recoup the cost of the upgrade

Probably. The range isn't good, but the sound quality is better than my old car. But then my last car had some wiring going bad at the end.

I didn't loose all my data only need to pair my phones again.

They must have cloned the storage before swapping. They didn't do that for me so I lost everything.

Get the total upgrade package. You may not recoup the cost of the upgrade BUT it will be worth it for the next “24 years” until you sell it. Difference is as stark as night/day. Of course if you don’t get the upgrade, you will miss the constant opportunity of taking a coffee break between input and reaction! (…and the browser finally works!)

Get the total upgrade package. You may not recoup the cost of the upgrade BUT it will be worth it for the next “24 years” until you sell it. Difference is as stark as night/day. Of course if you don’t get the upgrade, you will miss the constant opportunity of taking a coffee break between input and reaction! (…and the browser finally works!)
I have no delays or slowness with my MCU1. Maybe it's because I had the entire MCU1 replaced for the emmc flaw before they started doing only daughterboard replacements. One great advantage of staying with MCU1 is the end of buggy updates that remove nice features I have come to like. And then there's the radio...

Reactions: KalJoMoS
I've had 2 MCU1 vehicles. The MCU1/AP2.5 combo was horrendous. Frequent black-screen-of-death, reboots, bugs galore. Ever since upgrading to MCU2 it is flawless. On the other hand my car with MCU1/AP1 is pretty good. I have never experienced a black screen and while not as smooth as MCU2 it's still very responsive and stable. I'm still going to upgrade to MCU2 eventually but for anyone wondering the MCU1/AP2, MCU1/AP2.5, and MCU1/AP3 seem to way more problematic than MCU1/AP1. I think the lack of cameras and therefore less processing workload has a lot to do with it.

(…and the browser finally works!)
Absolutely but, since a couple of months (one of the last updates before v11), the browser does not receive gps info anymore.
So any app needing it (eg Tesla Waze or Abetterrouteplanner,…) will not work anymore.
It might be a involuntary regression that will be fixed someday, or it might be definitely removed.
Just wanted to warn folks here.
That being said, very happy with my MCU2 / AP1 car.
The « joy of new updates and features, mixed with the frustration of regression and new bugs » saga is continuing 😇