Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had 2 MCU1 vehicles. The MCU1/AP2.5 combo was horrendous. Frequent black-screen-of-death, reboots, bugs galore. Ever since upgrading to MCU2 it is flawless. On the other hand my car with MCU1/AP1 is pretty good. I have never experienced a black screen and while not as smooth as MCU2 it's still very responsive and stable. I'm still going to upgrade to MCU2 eventually but for anyone wondering the MCU1/AP2, MCU1/AP2.5, and MCU1/AP3 seem to way more problematic than MCU1/AP1. I think the lack of cameras and therefore less processing workload has a lot to do with it.

How could MCU1/AP3 ever exist? I'm surprised there were any MCU1/AP2.5 cars built.

No app notification on the software update, but opened the app today and it shows 2021.24.27 is ready to install. A search on TMC doesn't show any result. I'm currently at 2020.48.37.6, AP1, MCU1. Has anyone else received 021.24.27 on an AP1/MCU1 car?
Interesting, I see teslascope lists 7 vehicles with this version.
2021.24.27 Official Tesla Software Update | Teslascope
Any release notes?

No app notification on the software update, but opened the app today and it shows 2021.24.27 is ready to install. A search on TMC doesn't show any result. I'm currently at 2020.48.37.6, AP1, MCU1. Has anyone else received 021.24.27 on an AP1/MCU1 car?

Any release notes?
There are alot more than that: Over 2% of the Teslafi fleet. No release notes given, but all are AP 0 or AP 1 Model S's in USA or Canada.
Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 2.34.44 PM.png

Did you update and bring your ancient car into 2021 @Droschke ? :)

Any release notes?

Release Notes

Minor Cold Weather Improvements and Bug Fixes
Additional enhancements have been made to improve the overall experience of your Tesla vehicle in cold weather.

New Language Support
You can now select Finnish and Croatian as your language. To update your language setting, tap Controls > Display and select the desired option from the Language drop down menu. Note: Your vehicle must be in PARK to change languages.

Remain Connected to Wi-Fi in Drive WI-FI Improvements
To remain connected to Wi-Fi when shifting into gear, tap the Wi-Fi icon > Wi Fi Settings > Remain Connected in Drive. This is especially useful for users who wish to use their hotspots for connectivity.

• Informative
Reactions: oaito and Veggen
Anyone with MCU2 notice that their mirrors open when walking up to their car in the garage? When I start backing out the car realizes it’s at home and retracts again. Seems like needless wear and tear.

This sounds like the old problem I've been on Tesla about for about 4 years. I think it started around V9. It was a few updates after they started with the mirror autofold on location thing (back before the MCU2 upgrade was a thing).

If the car sat in the garage more than about 24 hours, the mirrors would unfold on their own. My best guess is that it's happening when the car connects to Tesla to check for updates. Starting sometime in the last year the mirrors will refold automatically about 10-20% of the time when backing out. I usually have to manually fold them when backing out.

I think service was blowing me off for some time until I asked them if Tesla would compensate me when I or my partner tore off the right mirror backing out of the garage because the mirrors were unfolded when they should be folded and someone didn't notice. My partner doesn't drive my car very often, but she has ADD. I don't have ADD and I've almost torn it off a couple of times.

Service keeps going to hardware problems, but I'm sure it's a software problem.

Usually the mirrors are already unfolded when I get in the car, but if they aren't, it can happen when I approach the car with the key, press the brake pedal to start the car, or put the car in gear. It pretty consistently happens though.

I've also noticed the mirrors are more likely to auto refold the first drive after a firmware update.

Absolutely but, since a couple of months (one of the last updates before v11), the browser does not receive gps info anymore.
So any app needing it (eg Tesla Waze or Abetterrouteplanner,…) will not work anymore.
It might be a involuntary regression that will be fixed someday, or it might be definitely removed.
Installed 2022.4.5 last night and it restored the gps location for the browser, so Waze, abrp and other sites working and useful again.

There are alot more than that: Over 2% of the Teslafi fleet. No release notes given, but all are AP 0 or AP 1 Model S's in USA or Canada.
How is this possible that I'm in the two percentile? I was pushed the update yesterday.

AP 0 MS in USA.

Release Notes

Minor Cold Weather Improvements and Bug Fixes
Additional enhancements have been made to improve the overall experience of your Tesla vehicle in cold weather.

New Language Support
You can now select Finnish and Croatian as your language. To update your language setting, tap Controls > Display and select the desired option from the Language drop down menu. Note: Your vehicle must be in PARK to change languages.

Remain Connected to Wi-Fi in Drive WI-FI Improvements
To remain connected to Wi-Fi when shifting into gear, tap the Wi-Fi icon > Wi Fi Settings > Remain Connected in Drive. This is especially useful for users who wish to use their hotspots for connectivity.
So then if I'm living in the desert of Arizona, I speak English, & I have a non-working Wi-Fi adapter in my MCU1, I've pretty much updated nothing at all. 🙃

Have you used the web browser with the new update and did you used it prior to this for sites like tesla winds/abrp/teslawaze etc.? I wonder does the browser still supports gps locations that has been saved internally for arbitrary sites. But reading your last comment I’m reluctant to know the answer already…

How is this possible that I'm in the two percentile? I was pushed the update yesterday.

AP 0 MS in USA.
Any particular reason why it would not be possible?
Anyway, more current info: For just the no-autopilot only owners it is now up to 9% of them who are on this firmware.

I assume more AP1 than AP0 owners have upgraded to MCU2, so this update would not apply for those vehicles, so it makes sense only 2.5% of AP1 owners have this particular update, but I am speculating.
I haven't been offered it as of yet. Haven't read any reason not to accept it.

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 5.23.44 AM.png

I think you're all going to want to update to this version: ;)On wifi in the garage, but I haven't seen the browser work this well since before I owned the car!

(...)

Could you check your user agent and post it here? You can use a website like this: What's my user agent? (Or any other you feel comfortable with).
I'm really curious to see if they changed the browser. So far in the MCU1 they've used the Qt Web browser, which hasn't been publicly updated since 2013. I wonder if they replaced it with Chromium, same as in the MCU2.

Could you check your user agent and post it here? You can use a website like this: What's my user agent? (Or any other you feel comfortable with).
I'm really curious to see if they changed the browser. So far in the MCU1 they've used the Qt Web browser, which hasn't been publicly updated since 2013. I wonder if they replaced it with Chromium, same as in the MCU2.
Only took a few seconds to load up this page fwiw
IMG_2203.JPG