Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some garage door openers, like my Craftsman, have an exterior wire antenna attached at the top. I let mine hang down the side of the opener and it picks up the signal well. See if yours has that wire and try adjusting its placement if so.

No wire on mine.

Also look and see if you have LED bulb on the garage door opener itself - those will cause all kinds of interference with the signal. Change them out for some old school bulbs if you have any.

I can't use LED lights, the extra blue causes severe eye strain. All our light bulbs in the house are halogen, the monitors are special ones that screen out the extra blue, and all portable devices have anti blue screen protectors. I also have anti blue screen protectors on the screens in the car. I need to wear blue blockers to drive a loaner from Tesla.

Some people have extra sensitivity in the blue spectrum and white LED lights are blue LEDs with a coating. They have a spike in the blue spectrum that affects some people. I've heard it's most common in Scandinavians (I'm more than 50% Swedish).

However we did have some LED bulbs around and I put them in the garage door opener (I spend little time around the opener with the light on, so no real eye strain). I'll swap them out for appliance bulbs. I have several spares.

I certainly see that in any LED that is more than 3000 Kelvin. Are the lower color temps bad too?

The blue spike is lower in warm white LEDs, but it's still there. Here is a spectrum comparison:
Cool White LED bulbs: Are they "full-spectrum"?

The blue filters have a notch filter right around 425-450 nm that knocks the blue spike down to what you get from a number of other lighting sources.

I read somewhere that moonlight's spectrum has a lot of blue in it around 430nm and the part of our eye that is most used for night vision is most sensitive around that point. I have always had good night vision. It takes a few minutes to adjust, but in poor light I've noticed I have no trouble seeing what's around me when others are tripping over things. From DNA testing some of my genetics comes from Scandinavia up around the Arctic Circle where there is very little light several months a year.

BTW, I most often have a problem with the garage door opener when the door is shut (and the light is out), so it's probably not the LED bulbs. The garage door is aluminum, which I think is more of a factor. Though the separate remote that came with the door opener works.

Anyone install the 2022.4.5.3 update, it seems to be rolling out to some people now? I'm still on v10 (2021.44.6). But would like to hear the thoughts of AP1 people about the update. Does it bring single click seat heaters back to the main page, SuC locations on the main map?

I'm starting to feel like those 'old timers' who stayed on on v8 for as long as they could 🤣

Quick update with 2022.4.5.3: SuC location still on the map.
No other functional visible change.
Browser was stable for two 1h drives with Waze.
Not sure if it’s just because the update did a solid reboot or if they changed something in the browser. Time will tell but I’m not holding my breath on this one.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I will cautiously add +1 to the improved browser crowd. Sometimes it will struggle to start, you might have to free up CPU by pausing streaming, canceling nav, and bring up the sketchpad. But I've always gotten it working after a few tries. Once it gets waze up it's solid and you can go back to whatever else you had running just fine.

When my MCU1 died a few years ago (pre-daughterboard availability), they replaced my MC1 with a complete unit, upgrading my 3G to LTE in the process. Prior to the recent 2021.24.28 update, LTE signal strength was usually 2-3 bars (was always 4 bars with 3G), but now it's back up to 4 bars. Curious if anyone else with MCU1/LTE noticed this after the recent update?

Question for those with experience with AP1 and the newest AP from someone considering a MY:
I notice that all of the MY’s and M3’s on my commute don’t appear to be using AP like it works with AP1–notably they are never centered in their lane. This might be because AP3 acts differently on a 2 lane rural highway, or they don’t feel comfortable using it on an undivided highway, or they don’t have AP activated.
So basically my question is how different is AP3 on an undivided highway as opposed to AP1, because I love using it on my entire commute.

Question for those with experience with AP1 and the newest AP from someone considering a MY:
I notice that all of the MY’s and M3’s on my commute don’t appear to be using AP like it works with AP1–notably they are never centered in their lane. This might be because AP3 acts differently on a 2 lane rural highway, or they don’t feel comfortable using it on an undivided highway, or they don’t have AP activated.
So basically my question is how different is AP3 on an undivided highway as opposed to AP1, because I love using it on my entire commute.
Lol I guess I can reply to my own comment here. Apparently “vision only” autopilot is much more likely to phantom brake and throw FCWs as compared to radar on 2 lane highways. So that could be a reason I don’t see many newer Teslas using autopilot on that stretch of my commute.
I was ahead of a Y the other day that was using AP and I was disappointed to see that it also swerved at one point on the 2 lane highway where there’s a turn lane and the lane of forward travel moves abruptly to the right. I was hoping they would have fixed that.

Moderator note: Moved about 15 posts about deciding whether or not to sell a vehicle to a new thread, because they weren't anywhere near on-topic for here:

Bruce.

Do you remember roughly what new functionality you've received since the upgrade to MCU2?
Mostly usability. It responds much, much more quickly. This is especially noticeable with the map. The web browser is pretty much usable. Faster on the phone though. Of course the games, YouTube etc, are good benefits as well. Since we have an older vehicle it's super charges pretty slowly, so it's good to have something to do. Besides, if I have to wait for my wife at the store I can spend the time - productively?

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Mostly usability. It responds much, much more quickly. This is especially noticeable with the map. The web browser is pretty much usable. Faster on the phone though. Of course the games, YouTube etc, are good benefits as well. Since we have an older vehicle it's super charges pretty slowly, so it's good to have something to do. Besides, if I have to wait for my wife at the store I can spend the time - productively?
So essentially the improved speed (and the occasional Netflix while waiting in the car).

I know that maps has waypoints too as well with the MCU2 upgrade.

This ended up in the other thread when this thread was split:

I thought about it for a minute but the only thing I would want to replace it with is a new MS. While the new tech/features would be cool I know I would miss my rare color (Titanium Metallic), my sunroof, and the carefree use of the free lifetime supercharging. The car is still under warranty for another year and I did the MCU2 upgrade so I feel like I am in a pretty good situation and couldn't see myself driving anything else that doesn't cost as least twice my trade-in price.

Are all the MCU2 people still hanging out on v10 (2021.44.6) like me or are people actually running the latest v11 builds and are happy?

I got upgraded to V11. The first versions were painful to use, especially in the winter. It's a little better now, but I'd rather roll back to V9. That was the last good UI IMO.
Do you remember roughly what new functionality you've received since the upgrade to MCU2?

The MCU doesn't crash anymore and everything is faster. It will play games MCU1 won't (which I don't care about), but otherwise not much change. My MCU was failing, rebooting frequently and it was getting glacially slow.

AP1 MCU1 people are "stuck" on 2021.24.28 and it would be my guess that they wont see anything new/added ever. AP1 MCU2 people have the latest fleet firmware of 2022.12.2. Some of the new functionality are the following
  • Ability to add way points for map trips
  • Ability to edit way point items up and down (I think)
  • Dog Mode and Camp Mode can now be enabled from the Tesla app
  • Vehicle preconditioning accessed via the Tesla app will now remain active up to 30 minutes after a door is opened, making it easier load your vehicle without affecting climate control.
  • Car Colorizer (If you wrap you car you can change what it looks like in car and app to match your custom color)
  • Each Driver Profile will now have its own individual Work and Home address.
  • Detect Uneven Tire Wear (This is an undocumented change)
  • Subwoofer (You can now adjust your subwoofer by bringing up your Media Player)
  • You will now receive an audio alert when Traffic-Aware Cruise Control is enabled.
I think that is the full list of differences between 2021.24.28 and the newest 2022.12.2 (because I only have 2021.44.6 last version of v10) for our older AP1 MCU2 vehicles. I think the way points and the overall snappiness are 2 big reasons to upgrade to MCU2

To complete the answers already provided
- From the app, open the windows to vent the car. I don't need it, as I prefer to open the pano, but not every one has one.
- Caraoke (yeah, love it or hate it. Used once with my wife, it was fun)
- Voice command is the same, except is it fast and works quite well
- Tidal

There are more little stuff, I guess you can find them here : Tesla Software Update History and Latest Tesla Features

Note: those software updates contains also updates to the BMS & other components others than the MCU.

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and bmah