Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened to me about this time last year. Note I rarely SC anymore as most of my trips are less than 200 miles but I did so on a hot August day. Had the exact same experience. My delay may have only been 10 minutes or a little less, but it was still alarming.
Here is what the message looks like. I don’t know if the message displayed last year or not.
FAD4F621-FD53-4FF9-B446-D6E6E84B3C4D.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
Supercharging now. It’s a little cooler (or less hot) 30 C= 86F and this time I stayed in the car and still cold air after 20 min (50%to 70% soc). No air cond reduced warning. So maybe that is the strategy; keep the air going by using “keep” button if one leaves the car, or plan on sweating a little. Now I wonder if it charges at a higher rate if one isn’t in the car, and ac isn’t needed? More experiments needed. :)

Last edited:
And today: only 25 C (77F) and reduced cooling message again. I left ac on in the car (keep) and you can see the temp inside :( (no, the windows weren’t open)
Possible reason? The supercharging rate was a little higher on this v3 sc; soc + kw = factor 113 vs yesterday’s v1 sc factor of 105
At least it didn’t take 15 for the ac to work again, more like 3 minutes
43E2323D-28D0-482D-8ABD-88C5BC32D3D6.jpeg

5EE446F6-2F47-4FC9-AF25-DAFB689C4D3C.png

Did the AC problems just start happening with the MCU1 v11 update or has this happened before? I’ve never seen this although I don’t have the update but in hot weather I usually see 110-113 rates but the cabin stays very cool in all conditions on really hot days. Just trying to pinpoint whether this AC issue only started after the v11 update.

I supercharged my car last night for the first time since updating and saw a drop in performance. Usual peak is 112kW, Last night I peaked at 102kW. I am usually >100kW at 50%. Last night I crossed below 100kW at 45%. My supercharge curves have been pretty well documented via video in past posts.

Sample size of 1 though, so I'll have to see how it performs on the trip back.

I supercharged my car last night for the first time since updating and saw a drop in performance. Usual peak is 112kW, Last night I peaked at 102kW. I am usually >100kW at 50%. Last night I crossed below 100kW at 45%. My supercharge curves have been pretty well documented via video in past posts.

Sample size of 1 though, so I'll have to see how it performs on the trip back.
I had the same experience last week. It was kind of a hot day (so hot I burned myself trying to remove the charger handle), so I thought that might have been it. Don't SC much anymore so it may be awhile before I can test again.

I had the same experience last week. It was kind of a hot day (so hot I burned myself trying to remove the charger handle), so I thought that might have been it. Don't SC much anymore so it may be awhile before I can test again.
The charger handle being hot is definitely one of the known factors that can reduce charging speed. People used to put damp cloths over them to keep them cool. I think a lot of those handles we redesigned and replaced, but there's not too much you can do when there are extreme ambient temperatures.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Got the newest update a couple weeks ago. 2022.8.10.1 and a bunch of other letters and numbers.

True to form, it has some poorly thought-out features and some bugs.

Biggest poorly-thought-out feature, IMO -
When the media player is in the smallest mode but still on the display, the music progress bar is one pixel high and sits right atop the menu bar at the bottom, and is the same color as the menu bar background when in daylight mode. Result - you have to look really closely to see where the progress bar has progressed to! This is really stupid. Granted, not a major issue, but still, it's pretty idiotic. Progress bar should be separated from the menu by five or ten pixels so it's visible at a glance. In night mode it's different than the menu bar, so it's much easier to see.

Most annoying new bug (I've found at least two bugs in this one) -
Every day I get into the car and the media player is displaying a request to select the source, even though I left the USB selected (and paused) the day before. I almost always listen to my USB, and it only very occasionally would be dropped by the player overnight prior to this software update. Now it happens every night. Or maybe this is another poorly-thought-out "feature"...

You can also drag the seat heater to the inside of each temperature display and it will shrink them to allow you to have both temp and seat heater controls for both driver & passenger

@Ostrichsak ,

I tried what you are describing but can't get it to work! It seems like the seat heater icons are not drag-able. Pressing/holding and dragging them downward from the Climate app to the to the inside of each temperature display at the bottom only shrinks the Climate app. I don’t see the seat heater showing up at the bottom anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?

Tnx.

Reactions: bhorn
The charger handle being hot is definitely one of the known factors that can reduce charging speed. People used to put damp cloths over them to keep them cool. I think a lot of those handles we redesigned and replaced, but there's not too much you can do when there are extreme ambient temperatures.

Back in 2016 Tesla was having a bad problem of superchargers wearing out prematurely in California and some other places. On a trip there in October I chatted with a tech at one supercharger. He said that they found that the combination of heavy use and high ambient temperatures were causing 5-10 years of wear in a few months. In places where use was lower, but there were high temperatures they didn't see the problem because the equipment was getting a chance to cool down between uses.

Hot charger handles is a symptom of a supercharger that is getting worn out. When they start to go one or more module in the SC will quit leading to lower charging speeds. One time I saw charging speeds on par with home charging.

Got the newest update a couple weeks ago. 2022.8.10.1 and a bunch of other letters and numbers.

True to form, it has some poorly thought-out features and some bugs.

Biggest poorly-thought-out feature, IMO -
When the media player is in the smallest mode but still on the display, the music progress bar is one pixel high and sits right atop the menu bar at the bottom, and is the same color as the menu bar background when in daylight mode. Result - you have to look really closely to see where the progress bar has progressed to! This is really stupid. Granted, not a major issue, but still, it's pretty idiotic. Progress bar should be separated from the menu by five or ten pixels so it's visible at a glance. In night mode it's different than the menu bar, so it's much easier to see.

Most annoying new bug (I've found at least two bugs in this one) -
Every day I get into the car and the media player is displaying a request to select the source, even though I left the USB selected (and paused) the day before. I almost always listen to my USB, and it only very occasionally would be dropped by the player overnight prior to this software update. Now it happens every night. Or maybe this is another poorly-thought-out "feature"...

If I select radio, it will go back to the station I was on next time I get in the car, but if I have USB selected it always switches to streaming when I get back in the car. Somebody said you can use a voice command to get it to stay on USB, but the switch is so fast that it happens before I could possibly hit the button and make the command.

@Ostrichsak ,

I tried what you are describing but can't get it to work! It seems like the seat heater icons are not drag-able. Pressing/holding and dragging them downward from the Climate app to the to the inside of each temperature display at the bottom only shrinks the Climate app. I don’t see the seat heater showing up at the bottom anywhere.

What am I doing wrong?

Tnx.
Press & hold on one of the other apps first. Once you do that it will give you other options & all I did was grab the driver's side seat & drag it down next to the temp. I think you only need to do the driver's as the passenger one will display when someone is detected in that seat.

@Ostrichsak ,

What am I doing wrong?

Tnx.

I figured it out.

The reason I was trying unsuccessfully to add the seat heaters to the bottom dock was that I couldn’t find them in the App Launcher in order to drag them from there. I was doing a single tap on the App Launcher to pop it up.

The trick is instead of tapping the App Launcher once you need to press and hold it. That would bring up the icons for Climate control options in the app drawer, such as the seat heaters, heated steering wheel and both front and back defrosters. You are then able to drag them to the bottom dock, as one of 4 allowable controls.

Press & hold on one of the other apps first. Once you do that it will give you other options & all I did was grab the driver's side seat & drag it down next to the temp. I think you only need to do the driver's as the passenger one will display when someone is detected in that seat.

Sorry, I just saw your response after I posted mine. Thanks for your help.

On Edit:
------------
The passenger controls showing up when the passenger is present only applies if the "Split" is not set.

Last edited: