Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know you've been around here for a while, so probably you know that you can trigger a deeper (weirder?) reboot by changing the wheels in the interface, or alternatively, switching to another language. I've read it cures weird software related issues for others. Already tried?
I tried changing the wheels from my 19" to 21" on 2022.28.2 and it did NOT do the full 5 minute reboot with clicky noise things. It did a very quick flash of the screen and then showed the updated wheels. I think they changed something recently that the car doesn't do the full reset like it used to. I haven't tried changing the language trick yet though.

Air Suspension. It wasn't 5 minutes, maybe 2-3? But it felt like eternity when the screen is all black and you are praying that the car comes back alive. Definitely longer than the normal 2 button reset though.

Mine is coil. Hopefully it would be a quicker reboot.

I'm also hesitating to do either of the tricks @AustinP is suggesting in order to avoid any confusion with whatever troubleshooting they are supposedly performing remotely.

haven't read the whole thread but got here by searching for error...
I can get the BMS_W053 error is I let my car preheat for about 15 minutes (remotely turn on climate control via app). When I eventually make it into the car it will give
me all these scary errors and then they all disappear as soon as I start moving.
I hope its a typo n u meant 035 not 053...
Strangely i've got the error in exact same scenario on 2016.9 MX 90D, scared me a bit but went away in like 10 seconds...
That's an isolation fault in one of the motors. There's a drive unit replacement in your near future.
Source: Been there, done that, was 5 hours away from home when it happened.
I get that DUs are more common but isolation error could happen due to other issues like Battery heater or AC compressor...

I know you've been around here for a while, so probably you know that you can trigger a deeper (weirder?) reboot by changing the wheels in the interface, or alternatively, switching to another language. I've read it cures weird software related issues for others. Already tried?

OK. Tesla closed the ticket I had opened to resolve the issue with no software update being received. So, I decided to do:

- Attempts to do the "Wheel Configuration" did not change my wheels at all no matter what wheel I selected (maybe it does not work for the older cars?), but the reboots occurred and a few knocking sounds could be heard during the reboots. BTW, the reboots weren't any longer than the two-thumbs on scroll wheels reboots.
- Attempts to do the Software\"Service Mode" to reinstall the existing software also failed with a message saying "Failed to request software reinstall: another update is in progress. Please try again".

I've left the car in Service Mode to see if any updates would eventually show up. So far, after 5 hours, no luck even with a very strong WiFi connection.

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
I had a weird thing today. I got 2022.36.6 and after upgrading the car charged to 94% even though it was set to 90%. I drove the car down to 90% and the car said charging complete when I plugged it back in.
I updated to 2022.36.6 as well. I took a long trip from 99% and got home at 15%. I unloaded the car and waited about 45 minutes and then looked and it was at 9%. I started charging and set the limit to 92% and when I checked it when it was done it was at 98%. Definitely weird things going on.

I kind of thought that my battery might be starting to starting to die (It's still under warranty till 3/2024) but with your data point maybe the 2022.36.6 BMS is going a bit wonky on these older packs. I dont think the pack could have cooled down that much in 45 minutes sitting in my garage for a 6% loss or why it overshot my charge limit by about the same amount.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
OK. Tesla closed the ticket I had opened to resolve the issue with no software update being received. So, I decided to do:

- Attempts to do the "Wheel Configuration" did not change my wheels at all no matter what wheel I selected (maybe it does not work for the older cars?), but the reboots occurred and a few knocking sounds could be heard during the reboots. BTW, the reboots weren't any longer than the two-thumbs on scroll wheels reboots.
- Attempts to do the Software\"Service Mode" to reinstall the existing software also failed with a message saying "Failed to request software reinstall: another update is in progress. Please try again".

I've left the car in Service Mode to see if any updates would eventually show up. So far, after 5 hours, no luck even with a very strong WiFi connection.

I opened another ticket with Tesla since they closed the first one without any further explanation because I refused to approve the $100+tax they wanted to charge for troubleshooting my car not receiving the OTA updates!

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
I had a weird thing today. I got 2022.36.6 and after upgrading the car charged to 94% even though it was set to 90%. I drove the car down to 90% and the car said charging complete when I plugged it back in.
My car has done similar things for awhile so I wouldn't say it's related just to 36.6. My car often stops charging before my set 90% around 87-90% and will display 'complete' and there's been times where its been at 92% when it was set to 90.

• Informative
My car has done similar things for awhile so I wouldn't say it's related just to 36.6. My car often stops charging before my set 90% around 87-90% and will display 'complete' and there's been times where its been at 92% when it was set to 90.
Mine has done 1-2% and maybe even 3% at most previously (Set to 90% and find the car at 92% the next morning). I could see it changing a few percent with the battery warming up after a long charging session and then cooling down but my 6% change seemed a bit excessive especially after only 45 minutes.

• Informative
I updated to 2022.36.6 as well. I took a long trip from 99% and got home at 15%. I unloaded the car and waited about 45 minutes and then looked and it was at 9%. I started charging and set the limit to 92% and when I checked it when it was done it was at 98%. Definitely weird things going on.

I kind of thought that my battery might be starting to starting to die (It's still under warranty till 3/2024) but with your data point maybe the 2022.36.6 BMS is going a bit wonky on these older packs. I dont think the pack could have cooled down that much in 45 minutes sitting in my garage for a 6% loss or why it overshot my charge limit by about the same amount.
Got a similar response, saw the remaining charging time jump up and down initially and then stabilizing again.

Mine has done 1-2% and maybe even 3% at most previously (Set to 90% and find the car at 92% the next morning). I could see it changing a few percent with the battery warming up after a long charging session and then cooling down but my 6% change seemed a bit excessive especially after only 45 minutes.
I have noticed this on the last few updates on both the old '15, now departed, and the new '22.

Might it be the battery improvemrnts mentioned in the update notes, the ones that take pack temp and weather conditions into account?

Of interest perhaps, is that you can now on 2022.36.6 access battery health data in the service mode, at least in the new cars:

• Informative
I have noticed this on the last few updates on both the old '15, now departed, and the new '22.

Might it be the battery improvemrnts mentioned in the update notes, the ones that take pack temp and weather conditions into account?

Of interest perhaps, is that you can now on 2022.36.6 access battery health data in the service mode, at least in the new cars:

I dont have have the health test button on my 2016 S90D in the service menu. Additionally i just got 2022.40.4 with the only change log item being "minor bug fixes and improvements".

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO and aerodyne
A battery health test and monitoring sounds very useful to me, and my 7 year old 90D. An early warning of impending trouble to avoid as opposed to being blind sided by a major battery failure and stranded, needing a tow to a SC, followed by a months long wait for expensive repairs. I wonder if they will start monetizing upgrades so that we pay for nicer features like battery health monitoring.

Has anyone with AP1 seen this ‘blended regen’ braking installed on their car yet? I think I read somewhere that all cars from AP 1 and up were capable, I just haven’t seen it on mine yet. 2022.40.4 is staged on the car with 2022.36.6 installed - I’m not a big fan of these bug fix releases with no proper notes however

Cheers

Has anyone with AP1 seen this ‘blended regen’ braking installed on their car yet? I think I read somewhere that all cars from AP 1 and up were capable, I just haven’t seen it on mine yet. 2022.40.4 is staged on the car with 2022.36.6 installed - I’m not a big fan of these bug fix releases with no proper notes however

Cheers
I honestly don't know what you are referring to :oops: I hope I don't get whatever this is; I like mine just the way it is thank you very much. But it doesn't surprise me they are putting more "big brother" options on their cars, as there are more and more inexperienced drivers buying these Teslas. Always some idiot ruining it for everyone else.