Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
I don't mind reading about Navigate on AP or Enhanced Summon or Sentry Mode, just like I don't mind reading about SpaceX flying to Mars, but I'm not going to do any of those any time soon. All of the threads about newer firmware updates are predominantly AP2+ owners talking about those things...

I want to know if someone with AP1 has had a newer update, and if so what are the advances and pitfalls? When (if?) we get a notice that an update has downloaded, I want to know if I should load it. Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but a) I'm about to drive 2500 miles and don't want the AP that I have to become useless, and b) I can't help but feel that, at some point, the only thing we will get from updates is more bugs, since they will not be doing regression testing on AP1 cars. I want to stop loading updates right before that. :eek:

So is there anyone with something newer than 2018.50.6 on an AP1 car that can talk about their experiences?

I received 2019.8.4 on an AP1 P90D just yesterday.
The "what's new" screen was an empty frame.
They took away max battery and added ludicrous+.
I don't yet know if those are equivalent, and haven't tried a launch yet to see if I lost launch mode or something.
AP seems to be the same based on 1 day of driving, maybe the TACC follow distance was increased a little, but its hard to say.

The only other thing I noticed is they also changed the climate control screen where you would turn on biodefense a little bit.
I have already had to reboot the web browser, so I don't think there were any fixes snuck in there.
If there is something specific you want me to look at just let me know, I am not in any early access program or anything.

Good initiative. I’m also tired of reading that thread only about AP2.x updates.
I’m glad for those owners, but surely am curious about what our AP1 gains or loses.
I’m quite happy with 50.6: though it brought no new features, it did fix some.

I still hope they improve the phantom braking and I’d really like that single tap lane change.
And their is definitely room for improvement on the UI features (pictures of contacts, text messages integration, more voice commands....) that are not AP related.

Reactions: BerTX and JohnnyG
I received 2019.8.4 on an AP1 P90D just yesterday.
The "what's new" screen was an empty frame.
They took away max battery and added ludicrous+.
I don't yet know if those are equivalent, and haven't tried a launch yet to see if I lost launch mode or something.
AP seems to be the same based on 1 day of driving, maybe the TACC follow distance was increased a little, but its hard to say.

The only other thing I noticed is they also changed the climate control screen where you would turn on biodefense a little bit.
I have already had to reboot the web browser, so I don't think there were any fixes snuck in there.
If there is something specific you want me to look at just let me know, I am not in any early access program or anything.

That’s good to know about Ludicrous+. I suspected our non-P100Ds would be indeed getting it, since the rest are getting insane+, but you are the first person I’ve read to confirm our older Ludicrous cars are getting the same thing. I’d be interested to see if there are any differences in power numbers.

So when people discuss software version numbers, it's actually less confusing to give the full version number (such as "2019.8.5") rather than the last few digits you think might be important ("8.5"). Not giving the full version number leads to some ambiguity, particularly when someone in the future stumbles upon your post and has to figure out what exactly software version you meant. It's also very confusing to see that "8.5" is newer than "50.6", because generally-accepted principles of software versioning imply the opposite.

Thanks,

Bruce.

Is there anything new to be had on AP1? I mean realistically, not Elon delusions like "your car will find you anywhere on private property" which he stated at AP1 launch.
Don’t forget auto on and off ramp! That was actually in the release notes of version 8 at the bottom that said it would come with 8.1! I’m thinking all hope is lost for any AP1 improvements and AP1 will just be empty promises. Hopefully the same doesn’t happen to AP2 folks when something new and shiny comes out.

Reactions: Mattzilla and GSP

Attachments

• 15544991704394475838089306459936.jpg
    15544991704394475838089306459936.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 3,601
  • 15544992230502645716174814672227.jpg
    15544992230502645716174814672227.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 3,431
  • Informative
Reactions: AustinP