Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 owners take heart

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the real Q is when will we have Level 4 AP?
IMO not very soon.

I agree with you on everything. However, I'd guess total L4/L5 will take a few more years until it's nicely refined, relatively bug-free, and meets all new government regulations. I'd say we are at least 4 years away from that. So yes, even though I just purchased my S with AP1 last month, I feel good knowing that AP2 will finally be ready when I'll be ready for a new Tesla in 4 - 5 years.

- Happy AP1 Owner :)

Mobileye was a good partner for Tesla to quickly get AP 1.0 to the market.

With AP 2.0, Tesla is continuing to push the envelope, and if Mobileye's technology didn't meet Tesla's goals, then Tesla did the right thing in changing platforms - and using the NVidia Drive PX2 technology (along with new sensors) seems like a better long term choice, since NVidia has a lot of experience in high performance image processing.

Mobileye probably could have handled the breakup better, and avoided some of the negative publicity.

Reactions: davidc18
I agree with you on everything. However, I'd guess total L4/L5 will take a few more years until it's nicely refined, relatively bug-free, and meets all new government regulations. I'd say we are at least 4 years away from that. So yes, even though I just purchased my S with AP1 last month, I feel good knowing that AP2 will finally be ready when I'll be ready for a new Tesla in 4 - 5 years.

- Happy AP1 Owner :)
I'm with you. We are living in exciting times and I'm enjoying it right now.

About 7 years ago, I fully expected to pay about $150K for a fully autonomous car in 2020 -- far cheaper than a personal chauffeur to "drive Miss Beryl" during her retirement. Back then, I didn't expect my dream car to be an EV (obviously not a Tesla) but now EV is a necessity for me. I'm thrilled and thankful for the ability to take this step toward my dream much earlier than I anticipated. I plan to enjoy driving with AP1 assistance for another 3-4 years or when autonomous regulations and technology align where I live and drive.

I expect my dream car will still be a Tesla but who knows what will happen in 3 years? Despite being invested in Tesla in several ways, I'm open to alternatives.

Reactions: fallen888
I'll guess I'm the only one here, who took delivery in Sept 2014, and Sept 2016, of a Model S. I don't feel this time around is anywhere close to "missing out" as the AP1 "announce", with AWD. And it isn't because of AWD. AP1 does what I want, which is take over the most mind numbing driving. Never say never, but I don't think there's anything "pathetic" about having a good feeling about avoiding $5000 AP when improved level 2 is all you're missing out on. That, and maybe some next gen person who "can't possibly bid on a car without optional level 5".

There are several options I never felt worth the price. $2500-3000 for AP1 wasn't one of them.

Reactions: lakerholic
I'll guess I'm the only one here, who took delivery in Sept 2014, and Sept 2016, of a Model S. I don't feel this time around is anywhere close to "missing out" as the AP1 "announce", with AWD. And it isn't because of AWD. AP1 does what I want, which is take over the most mind numbing driving. Never say never, but I don't think there's anything "pathetic" about having a good feeling about avoiding $5000 AP when improved level 2 is all you're missing out on. That, and maybe some next gen person who "can't possibly bid on a car without optional level 5".

There are several options I never felt worth the price. $2500-3000 for AP1 wasn't one of them.

Completely agree. I had AP1 on my first Tesla (P85) and was able to use the Q3 discounts to upgrade to a P90DL. The two cars couldn't be more different to drive, primarily because of AWD (and I love the fact that I have the "same car" as my wife likes to say, but everything feels different). That said, the only feature that I really care about and find myself using all the time is Autopilot on the freeways. Especially in traffic and in the evenings when I'm beat. AP1 may be "old hat" now but it does everything I need it to do and in a superior way over what the competition has to offer - and that's really why I will never give up my Tesla for anything any other manufacturer offers. I'm ok with AP1 and think I'll feel this way for at least the next three years. :)