Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 P85/P90D Firmware Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got notified of a pending update. I'm on 28.3.1. Checking Teslafi, there have been virtually no AP1 cars getting 32 and 32.1 so I don't think I'm going to hit the update button. The only info I can see regarding .32/1 is more specific to the model 3. Anyone got any pertinent info? I'm assuming this is to address the keyfob security issue. I'm seriously not concerned about it seeing as my car is constantly complaining about "Key not detected" and it's in my freakin cup holder :confused:

I got 32.1 and it just adds the software update icon, wheel selection, and keyfob update. Wheel selection menu is pretty cool.

84CCCD9D-EA30-4F86-BC51-84E5945E923E.jpeg
60E0F5DE-2007-44CC-A546-0072E762EB52.jpeg

Just an fyi, when I changed my wheel configuration this morning after the update, a warning message came up that the car’s traction control, AEB, and regenerative braking was disabled. A soft reset did not make it go away, but a power off in the safety & security menu fixed it.

Just an fyi, when I changed my wheel configuration this morning after the update, a warning message came up that the car’s traction control, AEB, and regenerative braking was disabled. A soft reset did not make it go away, but a power off in the safety & security menu fixed it.

Same for me. I had a freak out drive to work this morning. I'm not sure I want to touch that option again. Had to do a power off as well to get it to clear and I haven't driven it since. Hoping my drive home is normal.

I have 19 in aftermarket wheels (bought it this way - see avatar). I was legit trying to change it to something that better reflected what I currently have on the car. I think the car thinks I have 21s on it right now. In my panic I changed it back to 21s hoping it would correct the problem prior to doing the power off reset. So I'm probably back to where I started with the car thinking it has silver 21s instead of black 19 wheels.

I have 19 in aftermarket wheels (bought it this way - see avatar). I was legit trying to change it to something that better reflected what I currently have on the car. I think the car thinks I have 21s on it right now. In my panic I changed it back to 21s hoping it would correct the problem prior to doing the power off reset. So I'm probably back to where I started with the car thinking it has silver 21s instead of black 19 wheels.
Ah, gotcha. These firmware updates are frightening. I work in technology for a large enterprise and my team are responsible for all of the core infrastructure. Needless to say, we have to do firmware upgrades all the time. It is a very detailed and lengthy orchestration of testing in multiple lower environments and regression testing through the entire process. We are always deathly afraid when we finally click that "update" button in our production environment to commit those changes. Every now and again, we do run into issues but for the most part, they are resolved without having to roll back. Needless to say, these firmware updates have been tested ad nauseam by the vendor(s) already as well.

This experience with Tesla firmware updates has been horrifying. Their SDLC model is one that I would akin to a mom and pop shop where they don't have the financial and people resources to do the necessary testing, so they just roll it into production and hope for the best.

I know we have a couple threads out there for MCU1/AP1 cars but I wanted to check with my fellow P90D and P85DL owners regarding 2020.12.5.

For whatever reason, my car hasn't received the update yet. I do have the advanced option selected. To be quite honest, I'm actually happy about it because I'm seeing a lot of issues.

Curious to know how you guys are doing on the new update with regards to the new launch mode sequence and overall performance. So far, I haven't seen any positive results, only negative. Cars feel and perform worse now than before.

Thoughts/comments?

I updated to 2020.12.5 today. No discernible difference in performance. It does have the new launch mode sequence, but I did not notice a further drop of the nose (cheetah stance). For reference, 2016 P90DL refresh MCU1/AP1. Suspension was set to low prior to launch. I took a video to see if it dropped the nose further and in it you can hear the air suspension pump making a bit of noise. I’m not sure if it was stiffening the rear or not. A slight negligible difference was that I felt the nose didn’t raise up as much as it did before when the torque is preloaded in launch mode. I do not use usb for music, so I cannot comment on that issue. Everything else seemed to be normal. I’ll comment again if I find any issues.

I updated to 2020.12.5 today. No discernible difference in performance. It does have the new launch mode sequence, but I did not notice a further drop of the nose (cheetah stance). For reference, 2016 P90DL refresh MCU1/AP1. Suspension was set to low prior to launch. I took a video to see if it dropped the nose further and in it you can hear the air suspension pump making a bit of noise. I’m not sure if it was stiffening the rear or not. A slight negligible difference was that I felt the nose didn’t raise up as much as it did before when the torque is preloaded in launch mode. I do not use usb for music, so I cannot comment on that issue. Everything else seemed to be normal. I’ll comment again if I find any issues.
Cheetah stance is for Ravens only with the adaptive suspension AFAIK. You will probably notice USB music no longer working.

I was at 2020.4.1 and purposely not installing the pending 2020.8.2 update to see if it could accelerate the likely demise of my MCU while I'm still in warranty. Since 2020.12.5 is out I can step up to 8.2. :)

I thought cheetah mode was only for newer cars? - Nevermind and thanks @BigNick for confirming!

August 2015 P90DL here.