Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 P85/P90D Firmware Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to open a service request to get the update pushed to the car as it wouldn't pull it down. Based on the previous nightmare with launch mode and Max battery power getting borked, that was the only thing I tested so far. Seems to work fine.

I have mixed feelings on the new launch mode though. Love the new sequence however they clearly changed the physics of it. It seems like what they're doing is locking the drive gear or something at the motor level and then releasing it when you get off the brake. It feels far more abrupt/violent so people with more used tires are probably going to see a lot more spinning. The previous version definitely preloaded the axles as you could feel the motor torque the wheels and the car squat. When drag racing a manual transmission, this was the holy grail method of launching that was so difficult to do but results were incredible. You would partially engage the clutch to preload the axles so it reduced the abrupt transfer of power and improved traction.

I'll get her to the track soon to see if my numbers have improved and also report on any other fixes/issues it introduced.

I updated to 2020.12.5 today. No discernible difference in performance. It does have the new launch mode sequence, but I did not notice a further drop of the nose (cheetah stance). For reference, 2016 P90DL refresh MCU1/AP1. Suspension was set to low prior to launch. I took a video to see if it dropped the nose further and in it you can hear the air suspension pump making a bit of noise. I’m not sure if it was stiffening the rear or not. A slight negligible difference was that I felt the nose didn’t raise up as much as it did before when the torque is preloaded in launch mode. I do not use usb for music, so I cannot comment on that issue. Everything else seemed to be normal. I’ll comment again if I find any issues.

so is cheetah stance for all model s and model x, reading this thread i got confused, u have a 2016 P90DL and its works for that?

someone else said RAVENS only, um?

I believe the cheetah stance is indeed only for Raven suspension vehicles. I tested it only to see if maybe the pre-raven air suspension vehicles would do it as well. My car did not drop in the front. The update has definitely changed the launch mode, but only in the way I described in my previous post. Overall the new launch mode sequence is more user friendly and I did not notice a difference in performance.

Reactions: Oscurrred
I believe the cheetah stance is indeed only for Raven suspension vehicles. I tested it only to see if maybe the pre-raven air suspension vehicles would do it as well. My car did not drop in the front. The update has definitely changed the launch mode, but only in the way I described in my previous post. Overall the new launch mode sequence is more user friendly and I did not notice a difference in performance.
I just got done with about 10 0-60 runs with the new launch mode. Started with battery at 100% but it took about 6 runs for the tires to warm up. On the 8th run, the battery went into cooling mode so I had to wait a minute or two.

My best 0-60 time on the street was 3.08. Tonight I cut a couple 3.0 runs. My best 0-60 at the track was a 2.97, so this might be a bit quicker.

One thing I did notice though was the runs were very inconsistent. It could easily have been the road though because I was not launching from the same place every time. Definitely a lot more spin with this launch mode but that's not necessarily bad. You do want to be a little over the edge of traction.
Screenshot_20200421-225315.png

• Informative
Reactions: jaitch
After 12.5 has anyone else noticed their car staying awake pretty much all the time? I have posted on another thread but worth a question here in case it is P85D or P90D relevant. Have done reboots and app log outs and wifi disconnects. Appears to fix it for a short time then it seems to lock into a permanently awake state.

After 12.5 has anyone else noticed their car staying awake pretty much all the time? I have posted on another thread but worth a question here in case it is P85D or P90D relevant. Have done reboots and app log outs and wifi disconnects. Appears to fix it for a short time then it seems to lock into a permanently awake state.

I have a 2016 P90D and I'm having this issue. Just had Tesla techs over yesterday to look at it and they told me it is the wiring harness for the driver door and the car thinks I'm still sitting in the driver seat even after it's parked and locked. Scheduled to have it replaced next Friday. If you find another fix let me know!

Looking at the Teslafi data, this update appears to be specific to older vehicles. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid but I'm inclined to wait this one out. I hate the fact that Tesla doesn't disclose a true change log like almost every other manufacturer does with firmware/software updates.

I have 2020.12.11.5 pending install. Anyone got details? Appears to have fixed the USB music issue. More curious about any battery/power/performance issues.

I installed this yesterday. Don't know about USB music as I never use it. Launch works and L+. Only other comment is I had 4 failed attempts to update from app. Went to car and dash was dead. Rebooted, dash came back and then update ran. So seems in order to me.

I installed this yesterday. Don't know about USB music as I never use it. Launch works and L+. Only other comment is I had 4 failed attempts to update from app. Went to car and dash was dead. Rebooted, dash came back and then update ran. So seems in order to me.
Thanks a lot for the info. I tried to update the last version from the app and it didn't work. To be honest, I prefer to sit in the car and watch the update anyways, so I don't care if it doesn't work through the app.

I got 2020.20.1. Nothing to report other than L+ is there and works, haven't checked launch. I only updated because I liked the look of the number (!) and previous software was taking an age to fire up the screens this last week (sometimes the dash display and sometimes the main screen).

Can't be certain but it seems like whenever I do an update car always ends up being constantly wifi connected. As a matter of routine I cycle the "energy saving" and "always connected" bits. One thing I noticed today was that when you cycle any of these two settings it does not auto save - ie show saving in "easy entry". So today I also cycled something else to get it to save. Hope that makes sense - a few updates back it took ages to get it not be permanently connected to my garage wifi.

James

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
I updated to 2020.20.1 last night. When I went to Software it said "Downloading Navigation Data Update" which took 6 hours to complete over our P85D's 4G LTE upgraded modem connecting to our 2.4 GHz WiFi network on our 130 Mbps cable internet... Probably because MCU 1.0 is so slow and the navigation data is so large.

Reactions: jaitch