TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP1 parity "by next month" according to Musk...

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HX_Guy, Feb 8, 2017.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

He didn't specifically use the terminology "parity" but I believe all these features is what AP1 has today, right?

"...by next month" would literally mean this month, as in February, right? Thought of course this is Elon time but finger crossed.

[​IMG]imgurl

• Informative x 3
  2. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

If he meant 'this month' he would have said 'this month'. The tweet is dated today, so next month is sometime in March, all the way to the 31st.

• Like x 1
  3. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

And March, after applying the Tesla and Elon factors, is actually June.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  4. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Tesla has its own time zone: MST (Musk Standard Time). :)

• Funny x 6
    • Informative x 1
  5. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Doesn't "by" mean before?

Like, "be here by 12:00" means you need to be here before 12:00.

• Disagree x 1
  6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, by next month, meaning before the last day of the next month. Meaning June. What's so hard to understand here?

• Funny x 9
    • Love x 2
  7. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Nope. "By" is inclusive of the described item. If you say "be here by 12 pm" that means even if you arrive exactly on 12:00 you are not late.

However, if you say "be here before 12:00" and you get there exactly at 12:00, you are technically late because you didn't get there before 12:00.

Of course that then goes to the second ambiguity, which is time scale you care about before it is considered late. By using "12:00" you imply your time scale is minutes. So 12:01 is late, but 12:00:01 is not. If it was 12:00:00 then it is seconds, so 12:00:01 is now late.

This concept extends to using larger time scales. For example, if I say "be here by tomorrow" it does not mean before 0:00 tomorrow (or midnight today), but anytime tomorrow (or for deadlines, usually before closing time or last processing time on the given day).

So if I say "be here by March" it can be inclusive of the entire month (or at minimum includes the entire first day of March if the time scale is days). In no interpretation would it mean the same as "before March".

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  8. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Member

Heh, I guess it it means different things to different people. If I say "by", I mean before. By 12:00 means before 12:00, if you arrive at 12:00 you are late.

9. Dynastar

Dynastar Member

2 by
    Something happens by a time in the future:

Fred will be back by Monday. (= he'll be back not later than Monday)
    I'll have finished my work by 11. 30. (I'll finish my work not later than 11. 30)

So, not later then next month.

10. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Some people use "by" interchangeably with "before" because when you talk about time in minutes, usually there is no significant difference between the two usages.

However, in common English "by" is technically the same as "on or before". Using it in the context of days makes things more clear. The phrase "by tomorrow" is very common and it practically never is used to mean "before tomorrow".

You can google for references and in no usage does "by tomorrow" mean someone is late if they hand something in tomorrow (there can however be ambiguities in terms of exact hours for deadlines because of closing and processing time on a given day).
    Google

11. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

There are only two Tesla times: NOW and "some time in the future"

If it isn't NOW, then it's some time in the future. Increments and time scales are meaningless.

• Like x 8
    • Funny x 2
  12. JRD1

JRD1 Member

Not sure where you are but if I ask 100 people around here what he means 95 of them would say it would be done in February.

4 would say it's unclear and one would say it's a Trump's fault.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  13. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

is this an English class with a focus on how to interpret speech?

• Funny x 1
  14. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

It will be end of March at the earliest. Grammatical nuances aside, anybody who thinks otherwise hasn't been here long.

• Like x 1
  15. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

Honestly, living in the Tesla timeline is pretty frustrating. We were told that we'll get parity in December of 2016. That turned out to be just a lie to move cars in the 4th quarter. Now, we get "by next month," but noticed that Elon never gave us a date or a month. So if someone were to ask him in March about parity, he can still say, "by next month."

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  16. 3Victoria

3Victoria Active Member

If he meant before next month, he would have used the word "before".

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Just a few folks desperate for any news trying to count angels on the head of a pin.

• Like x 1
  18. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Let's just agree end of March. We all know they'll miss the deadline anyway. And then we can discuss how he technically didn't promise it but just set an honest expectation etc...

19. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

LOL... So when you convert that to Tesla time he means August... So... Yeah... Don't get your hopes up...

I have a very strong love/hate gradient with Tesla... What happened to the days of under promise, over deliver? Now it's over promise, continue to over promise, keep over promising, wait awhile, wait some more, annnnnddddddd... then under deliver...

Yeah I'm being a bit pessimistic... :) Not out of anger or frustration, just out of general malaise. Okay so I'll admit, I'm still "unhappy" with the removal of ventilated seats... Yeah, yeah, I know... Childish at best... :)

Jeff

• Like x 1
  20. davinci2017

davinci2017 Member

Typically I would say by the next month, in that it will be absolutely ready to go sometime in the next month, I dont think that phrase would be used to say it will be ready "before" the next month.

I'd say March 15-20 is my guess. Anyones guess is as good as the others at this point :)