Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 parity "by next month" according to Musk...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He didn't specifically use the terminology "parity" but I believe all these features is what AP1 has today, right?

"...by next month" would literally mean this month, as in February, right? Thought of course this is Elon time but finger crossed.

imgurl
If he meant 'this month' he would have said 'this month'. The tweet is dated today, so next month is sometime in March, all the way to the 31st.

Reactions: Matias
Doesn't "by" mean before?

Like, "be here by 12:00" means you need to be here before 12:00.
Nope. "By" is inclusive of the described item. If you say "be here by 12 pm" that means even if you arrive exactly on 12:00 you are not late.

However, if you say "be here before 12:00" and you get there exactly at 12:00, you are technically late because you didn't get there before 12:00.

Of course that then goes to the second ambiguity, which is time scale you care about before it is considered late. By using "12:00" you imply your time scale is minutes. So 12:01 is late, but 12:00:01 is not. If it was 12:00:00 then it is seconds, so 12:00:01 is now late.

This concept extends to using larger time scales. For example, if I say "be here by tomorrow" it does not mean before 0:00 tomorrow (or midnight today), but anytime tomorrow (or for deadlines, usually before closing time or last processing time on the given day).

So if I say "be here by March" it can be inclusive of the entire month (or at minimum includes the entire first day of March if the time scale is days). In no interpretation would it mean the same as "before March".

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: doctorwho and GSP
2 by
Something happens by a time in the future:

Fred will be back by Monday. (= he'll be back not later than Monday)
I'll have finished my work by 11. 30. (I'll finish my work not later than 11. 30)

So, not later then next month.

Heh, I guess it it means different things to different people. If I say "by", I mean before. By 12:00 means before 12:00, if you arrive at 12:00 you are late.
Some people use "by" interchangeably with "before" because when you talk about time in minutes, usually there is no significant difference between the two usages.

However, in common English "by" is technically the same as "on or before". Using it in the context of days makes things more clear. The phrase "by tomorrow" is very common and it practically never is used to mean "before tomorrow".

You can google for references and in no usage does "by tomorrow" mean someone is late if they hand something in tomorrow (there can however be ambiguities in terms of exact hours for deadlines because of closing and processing time on a given day).
Google

Some people use "by" interchangeably with "before" because when you talk about time in minutes, usually there is no significant difference between the two usages.

However, in common English "by" is technically the same as "on or before". Using it in the context of days makes things more clear. The phrase "by tomorrow" is very common and it practically never is used to mean "before tomorrow".

You can google for references and in no usage does "by tomorrow" mean someone is late if they hand something in tomorrow (there can however be ambiguities in terms of exact hours for deadlines because of closing and processing time on a given day).
Google

Not sure where you are but if I ask 100 people around here what he means 95 of them would say it would be done in February.

4 would say it's unclear and one would say it's a Trump's fault.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9 and F123456
Honestly, living in the Tesla timeline is pretty frustrating. We were told that we'll get parity in December of 2016. That turned out to be just a lie to move cars in the 4th quarter. Now, we get "by next month," but noticed that Elon never gave us a date or a month. So if someone were to ask him in March about parity, he can still say, "by next month."

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike and u00mem9
LOL... So when you convert that to Tesla time he means August... So... Yeah... Don't get your hopes up...

I have a very strong love/hate gradient with Tesla... What happened to the days of under promise, over deliver? Now it's over promise, continue to over promise, keep over promising, wait awhile, wait some more, annnnnddddddd... then under deliver...

Yeah I'm being a bit pessimistic... :) Not out of anger or frustration, just out of general malaise. Okay so I'll admit, I'm still "unhappy" with the removal of ventilated seats... Yeah, yeah, I know... Childish at best... :)

Jeff

Reactions: OBX John
Typically I would say by the next month, in that it will be absolutely ready to go sometime in the next month, I dont think that phrase would be used to say it will be ready "before" the next month.

I'd say March 15-20 is my guess. Anyones guess is as good as the others at this point :)