Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 phantom emergency braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zorg

Oct 24, 2017
Fremont, ca
Was commuting home today on the freeway, a good ways behind the car ahead of me when all of a sudden the car detected a car right in front of me (there was none) and applied the brakes. First time this happened in 4000 miles. Is this a regular occurrence?

I had this happen to me last Friday night on my way out to dinner. I was on AP in the middle lane of three lanes that are all open for quite a distance and suddenly the car brakes hard, while beeping and showing a red car on the display directly in front of me. There was nothing actually on the road that I could see. I’m probably lucky I didn’t get rear-ended.
First time in 32K miles. Zorg I see you’re in Fremont. This incident of mine was on 880 north, not far from the Tesla Factory. Where was yours?

I've seen that a couple times. Annoying but it wasn't especially problematic - I just took over briefly.

I've never had the jinking problem on two-lane roads to any great extent. It happens a little if the edge of the road is in and out to the computer (you can see the blue line fading in and out).

I had this happen to me last Friday night on my way out to dinner. I was on AP in the middle lane of three lanes that are all open for quite a distance and suddenly the car brakes hard, while beeping and showing a red car on the display directly in front of me. There was nothing actually on the road that I could see. I’m probably lucky I didn’t get rear-ended.
First time in 32K miles. Zorg I see you’re in Fremont. This incident of mine was on 880 north, not far from the Tesla Factory. Where was yours?

Exact same thing. 880 north coming off 237, so a couple miles from Tesla.

Did it to us again tonight. I told my wife about this, and she wanted to see it for herself so I let her drive while I watched. Same exact spot that you mentioned. 880 North, in the lane next to the carpool lane, just before the Mission exit. Time was about 9:55 PM. I noticed that it was almost directly across from one of the Tesla buildings there. Looking on Google maps shows Seagate Technology, Boston Scientific and Fremont Fire Station 11 in the area. Something is throwing out a signal. Since it appears to be reproducible, we should file a bug report.