TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP1 phantom emergency braking

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Zorg, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

Was commuting home today on the freeway, a good ways behind the car ahead of me when all of a sudden the car detected a car right in front of me (there was none) and applied the brakes. First time this happened in 4000 miles. Is this a regular occurrence?

2. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Active Member

Yep. Has been happening to me also. Plus, the car has felt "jerky" on 2 lane roads - not smooth in the center of the lane, but rather darting back and forth very fast. Hope this isn't Tesla's way of achieving AP1 and AP2 parity!

• Funny x 1
  3. gsteele

gsteele Member

I had this happen to me last Friday night on my way out to dinner. I was on AP in the middle lane of three lanes that are all open for quite a distance and suddenly the car brakes hard, while beeping and showing a red car on the display directly in front of me. There was nothing actually on the road that I could see. I’m probably lucky I didn’t get rear-ended.
    First time in 32K miles. Zorg I see you’re in Fremont. This incident of mine was on 880 north, not far from the Tesla Factory. Where was yours?

4. Pruitt

Pruitt Pontificating the obvious

I've seen that a couple times. Annoying but it wasn't especially problematic - I just took over briefly.

I've never had the jinking problem on two-lane roads to any great extent. It happens a little if the edge of the road is in and out to the computer (you can see the blue line fading in and out).

5. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

Exact same thing. 880 north coming off 237, so a couple miles from Tesla.

6. gsteele

gsteele Member

I wonder if something is interfering with the radar in that area.

7. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

I have been driving this route for 4 months without any issue. Go figure.

8. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

I have been noticing this happening since the 2018.06 update. The car had much less of a tendency to see phantom cars in front before, than it does now.

9. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

It's definitely something specific to the area. The same thing happened tonight roughly in the same area: 880 north south of the Mission exit.

10. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

Maybe AP is getting flustered by all the construction equipment adjacent to the carpool lane along that stretch ?

11. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I suspect for quite a while, Tesla turned off or dramatically reduced radar-only braking on AP1 and was testing that on AP2 instead. I’m guessing the fire truck incident served as a moment for Tesla to try to activate it again.

12. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Probably a random radar reflection.

13. headcase

headcase Member

26k miles on my AP1, and never a single instance of phantom breaking here in the Raleigh area.

14. gsteele

gsteele Member

Did it to us again tonight. I told my wife about this, and she wanted to see it for herself so I let her drive while I watched. Same exact spot that you mentioned. 880 North, in the lane next to the carpool lane, just before the Mission exit. Time was about 9:55 PM. I noticed that it was almost directly across from one of the Tesla buildings there. Looking on Google maps shows Seagate Technology, Boston Scientific and Fremont Fire Station 11 in the area. Something is throwing out a signal. Since it appears to be reproducible, we should file a bug report.

15. Zorg

Zorg Active Member

How does one file a bug report?