Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Price Reduction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd wait at least until Model 3 configurator opens. If the AP2 software is less pricey for the new car, obviously that decision could affect S and X AP2 software -- and perhaps AP1. But perhaps whatever it is that you are seeing today for AP1 already reflects those pricing decisions as it relates to AP1.

On the day (and month+ before) HW2 was announced, AP1 was $3,000 on a new car.

They don't let you buy "just" AP with a HW2 car, you have to buy "EAP" which does more than AP1 could. So that's the justification that EAP is $5,000 at purchase, not $3,000.

There are some people that have "only" AP on their HW2 cars because they bought before HW2 was announced and already had $3,000 "AP" on their price sheet. They will supposedly not get the EAP functions unless they pay the $2,000 difference in the future (plus $1,000 more for adding it after delivery).

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
On the day (and month+ before) HW2 was announced, AP1 was $3,000 on a new car.

They don't let you buy "just" AP with a HW2 car, you have to buy "EAP" which does more than AP1 could. So that's the justification that EAP is $5,000 at purchase, not $3,000.

There are some people that have "only" AP on their HW2 cars because they bought before HW2 was announced and already had $3,000 "AP" on their price sheet. They will supposedly not get the EAP functions unless they pay the $2,000 difference in the future (plus $1,000 more for adding it after delivery).
Either my reading comprehension is off today or your comments are mostly inaccurate.

Then I vote your comprehension is off today. :p

As a person that ordered when only AP1 existed, and was delivered an AP2 car, and had to decide if EAP was worth $2,000 more than the $3,000 I had already agreed to for AP1, I feel I'm pretty in tune with how this transition went and what they are charging for.

History:
Aug 24, 2016, AP1 Price goes to $3,000 ($3,500 after delivery) : Tesla quietly increases price of Autopilot by 20%, says it’s to better reflect its value

October 20th, AP2 announced: Tesla announces full autonomy hardware (AP 2.0) on all production vehicles starting now [Official Thread - Please keep all posts in here] • r/teslamotors

October 20th, Tesla explains the extra $2,000 for EAP, and that if you don't pay it, you get AP1 features only: For those with orders awaiting or recently past confirmation

I had $3,000 "AP" on my order sheet, and my DS specifically made me decide if I wanted AP, or EAP, and if I wanted EAP I had to pay $2,000 more. This was only an issue for the 20,000 cars that were ordered before HW2 and shipped with HW2.

• Informative
Reactions: thecloud and croman
Then I vote your comprehension is off today. :p

As a person that ordered when only AP1 existed, and was delivered an AP2 car, and had to decide if EAP was worth $2,000 more than the $3,000 I had already agreed to for AP1, I feel I'm pretty in tune with how this transition went and what they are charging for.

History:
Aug 24, 2016, AP1 Price goes to $3,000 ($3,500 after delivery) : Tesla quietly increases price of Autopilot by 20%, says it’s to better reflect its value

October 20th, AP2 announced: Tesla announces full autonomy hardware (AP 2.0) on all production vehicles starting now [Official Thread - Please keep all posts in here] • r/teslamotors

October 20th, Tesla explains the extra $2,000 for EAP, and that if you don't pay it, you get AP1 features only: For those with orders awaiting or recently past confirmation

I had $3,000 "AP" on my order sheet, and my DS specifically made me decide if I wanted AP, or EAP, and if I wanted EAP I had to pay $2,000 more. This was only an issue for the 20,000 cars that were ordered before HW2 and shipped with HW2.
I had no idea this happened. Actually a nice situation to be in, in a way. I'm assuming you didn't buy EAP, if I'm right, how does your AP function?

I did buy EAP, for two reasons. Adding it after delivery is $1,000 more, and Tesla kept telling me that it would be here in December 2016, only two weeks after I picked up my car.

Feeling like a sucker right now. Even basic AP on HW2 isn't done 5 months later, and there are no EAP features. It's going to be even worse if Tesla never does actually limit those cars to non-EAP functions. So how does my AP function? Crappy. I just posted a video where it can't drive a 25 MPH residential road for more than 500 feet without veering off. Others are having better experiences.

So much annoyance could have been avoided if Tesla just didn't charge the $1,000 "after delivery" fee for features that are not actually available yet. Why do I have to pay Tesla $1,000 more if I don't want to buy a non-working feature just because I was an earlier adopter, while someone that waits to buy the whole car can get it at the lower price and have it working on delivery day?

If everything starts working the way it's supposed to in a few months, then maybe I will feel like it was a nice situation, but for a lot of HW2 owners, the situation is far from nice given how far behind their release schedule Tesla is. I have a $100K car without automatic windshield wipers right now.

For all of that, if @Pandamoanium and others are seeing $3,000 as an upgrade price, that is $500 off the previous price. AP1 was $3,000 new, $3,500 after delivery at the point it was discontinued for HW2.

Last edited: