Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Promises That Never Came To Be

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if the best time for filing in small claims would be near the end of a lease. I leased May 15 and when May 18 rolls around, I can unequivocally say that I didn't get what was promised. Might also be a good time to get a good Tesla credit.... So maybe file 3 months before end of lease.

Maybe Tesla could just give a credit for us poor AP1 turning in leases? Call it a loyalty credit - no need to admit liability or wrongdoing.
You agreed to arbitration so it could only go to court if you were not happy with that outcome and wanted to sue them.

They've basically delivered none of the promised features of AP1.0
Hands free on ramp to offramp? Nope
Picking you up at your front door on private property? Nope
Adjusting speed based on signs? Nope
Stop signs and red lights recognized? Nope
Emergency brakeing that avoids a collision? Nope
Blind spot monitoring? Not even this basic one got done.

Sure the autopilot is way ahead of any competitors, but that's not the point, the point is that they promised it would do a lot more than it actually does. They lied, and they've made it clear they have no intention of ever living up to their promises.

Tesla pushes the envelope. But that is not a blank cheque to lie to the public, and there's no reason you can't be on the cutting edge and be honest about what you can do.
Offramp AP promised for 8.1.
Picking you up not really promised just a "possibility".
AEB is there.
So that leaves reading signs to manage speed as not being done.

"The Autopilot hardware opens up some exciting long term possibilities. Imagine having your car check your calendar in the morning (a feature introduced in Software v6.0), calculate travel time to your first appointment based on real time traffic data, automatically open the garage door with Homelink, carefully back out of a tight garage, and pull up to your door ready for your commute. Of course, it could also warm or cool your car to your preferences and select your favorite morning news stream."

You agreed to arbitration so it could only go to court if you were not happy with that outcome and wanted to sue them.

Tesla doesn't want to go to arbitration over an AP1 $2,000 option dispute.
It costs them about 5x that just for the lawyer.
The Arbitration Assoc charges the company $1,700 just to administer commercial arbitration.

They would resolve it with you, just like all companies resolve these issues. The filing of the small claims case would just get you upgraded to the person that can actually resolve it quickly instead of messing around with customer service people with no authority.

Tesla doesn't want to go to arbitration over an AP1 $2,000 option dispute.
It costs them about 5x that just for the lawyer.
The Arbitration Assoc charges the company $1,700 just to administer commercial arbitration.

They would resolve it with you, just like all companies resolve these issues. The filing of the small claims case would just get you upgraded to the person that can actually resolve it quickly instead of messing around with customer service people with no authority.
Like you I have experience but mine is fairly current. They want you to start the process you agreed to. That means 1) giving your SvC an opportunity to make you happy by fixing it or some other compensation 2) filing the appropriate Lemon Law paperwork for your state with Tesla Corporate. If you don't hear back (which isn't uncommon) then you have the option to sue. That's the way it works currently. They aren't going to make it easy and they are very much aware of setting precedent.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
Wasn't AP 1.0 supposed to be only for highway driving only - from on-ramp to off-ramp? Isn't that what Tesla has promised in 8.1, to use the navigation routing to determine when to enter & leave a highway?

I don't recall Tesla ever promising to provide intersection support with automatic detection of stop signs or stop lights - the sensor technology and processing power were never going to be powerful enough to handle all of the extra object recognition needed to account for the additional complexity of driving at low speeds or stopping at intersections and tracking cross-traffic, pedestrians and other objects you wouldn't see at highway speeds.

I don't have any of this in my P85, though we are planning to buy an AP 2.0 Model S soon (when the 100D is released), so I don't have personal experience with AP 1.0. But in tracking Tesla's announcements, it appears they are on track to deliver what they had promised with AP 1.0 - driver assistance from highway on-ramp to off-ramp. And while they aren't there yet, it appears they remain on target to deliver that in a few months (on Tesla time).

AP 2.0 customers are taking a bigger leap of faith if they buy the full self driving option - since getting that enabled will not only take major breakthroughs in Tesla's software, but also handling some major non-technical challenges, such as getting regulatory approval and working out who will be liable when accidents happen.

But, I'm comfortable with that, and when we order our Model S, we'll place our bet - order the full self driving option, and hope Tesla is able to achieve what is an extremely aggressive goal.

Reactions: davidc18
And all that was indeed implemented.

No, it wasn't really... To change lanes you have to hold the turn signal and wait until it's finished. It is decidedly not a "tap." As minor as it is, it's a big annoyance for me. I rarely use it simply because it takes too long and requires too much effort vs just changing lanes myself. It definitely wasn't delivered as promised for changing lanes, among other things.

As has been discussed many many times is that the car has no idea where it is and often categorizes roads as "restricted" that are not. Happens on the express lanes on I595 between I75 and I95 in S. Fl. The bigger "bug" is why +5 mph as the autoset speed. Most times I want the exact speed limit, not +5, but in true Tesla fashion, there is no way to change this.

no actually it will not. this is a common misconception that speed assist affects the speed the AP system sets. It simply changes the speed at which it will alert you to exceeding the last posted speed limit sign it 'saw' - per the owners manual.

speed assist 1.jpg
speed assist 2.jpg
speed assist 3.jpg

no actually it will not. this is a common misconception that speed assist affects the speed the AP system sets. It simply changes the speed at which it will alert you to exceeding the last posted speed limit sign it 'saw' - per the owners manual.
I used to have mine +10 and when I decided to reduce it through that same menu, it honored the +5 speed limit right after the change while using AP or TACC.

Reactions: gabeincal
  • Informative
Reactions: msnow
Just my opinion. I think it is foolish for Tesla to be accepting $3,000 payments right now for feature (AP L5) that might not be approved by regulators and might be 2018 or 2019 or not even possible until AP 3.0. People are not just going to forget about that $3,000 set of options and forgive Tesla for not delivering.

There is even a promise of a Tesla Network that will make you revenue on your AP 2 car.
Sort of crazy at this stage to be selling that in the $3,000 FSDC option.

I think this is their plan. They need lots and lots of cash to execute on their Model 3 plans and they need more and more Model S sales to generate that cash. Worst case for Tesla is that they have an interest free loan from you. If they can't execute then they refund your money. They only need the capital until 2018 when lots of cash starts rolling in from the Model 3 anyhow.