TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP1 Promises That Never Came To Be

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Mike K, Oct 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RocketGoBoom

RocketGoBoom Member

I think all of the features in Enhanced AP will likely come true during 2017 at some point.

The complete FSDC option is probably not going to happen anytime soon. They have stuff like a Tesla Network to make revenue off of your car. Government moves too slow to allow that anytime soon.

• Funny x 1
  2. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Supporting Member

I really want to disagree with you concerning FSDC, however logic says that you are right.

• Funny x 1
  3. roblab

roblab Active Member

(Bolding mine) Sorry, friend. You do not know what AP 1 reads. We know the camera sees many things, but it only ACTS on orders. It could be that the camera sees signals and stop signs and is told to ignore them at this point. It has no trouble reading speed limit signs and displaying them and slowing your car if it is supposed to.

I don't understand all this stress. If you want to read stuff into what Tesla says just so you can scream and jump (You know who you are) and threaten law suits so you can "get your money back", why in the **** do you buy the car in the first place?

All this posturing and speculation are really a waste of time for you folks. Maybe it's what makes you happy, I don't know. But it's not worth a whole lot.

• Like x 3
  4. Max*

Max* Charging

There are enough owners who aren't regulars on TMC, who for example don't know to take whatever Elon promises, and assume it'll come working only at an 80% capacity, and severely delayed. Those people have EVERY right to be pissed off.

Actually, even if you are a regular if you're promised one thing, you pay for that one thing, and you never get it. That's deceptive (just off the top of my head: PxxD horsepower, quarter mile times, 0-60 acceleration with/without rollout, summon capabilities, AP on-ramp to off-ramp, etc. etc. etc.).

Sure, complaining likely wont get you anywhere, but sometimes it's just nice to vent.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  5. Garlan Garner

I've seen to often that if enough people complain at the same time.....things change.

• Like x 1
  6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Let me rephrase what I meant: AP 1 does not currently act on stop signs or traffic signals. So the original promised functionality hasn't been implemented two full years after Tesla first started selling it. Maybe it's coming in 8.1, who knows.

Either way, paying the $3K now for FSDC is probably only a good idea only if one plans to keep the car for a long time. It's taken Tesla over two years with AP 1 and not all the advertised features have been imlplemented.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Garlan Garner

So - its a $3k shot in the dark with no possibility of a refund if it never works? hmmm

8. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Vegas baby!!! Let it ride on red!

9. RocketGoBoom

RocketGoBoom Member

There is certainly the possibility of a refund.
    Tesla provides refunds if they cannot deliver on options that you purchased.

I have personally received a $5,000 refund on an option that I paid for prior to delivery (carbon fiber top) and they could not deliver.

Tesla will do the right thing if they charge a bunch of people $3,000 for FSDC and they cannot deliver for some reason (regulations, etc).

If not, I suspect some lawyer will sue.
    This is simple consumer protection law. Companies cannot sell stuff, then not deliver it.

Based on my experience, Tesla is not like that.
    They do provide the refund when it is a reasonable request and the circumstances justify it.

10. Garlan Garner

So, this is new to this "new" mass market of Tesla. Will us penny pincher - lower priced M3 purchasing Tesla lovers be as accepting of losing out on a $3K option as our MS $150K car purchasing brothers may have lost out on unfulfilled AP1 promises?

11. Garlan Garner

Its hilarious that you were posting the question to the answer you just posted.

12. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

I wonder if NHTSA had something to do with some of the features being neutered and others not appearing? George Hotz is dropping the US for the comma one due to them simply asking him some questions.

13. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

:rolleyes:

You received a refund for a carbon fiber top, we get it. :rolleyes:
    This is not a refund which pertains to software which may/may not be delivered as promised. AP 2 is going to be in a "beta" phase for a long time and when you jump up and down for your money back, that will be the Tesla answer. Sure here's your money back and by the way we are disabling your AP as well.
    They are not lying, they are working towards full autonomy. They will do their best to get it legalized which will happen eventually. It may take 10 years, but it is the future. Tesla is not "promising" anything but making it clear this is the plan. Personally I would not pay the extra $3000 because I believe it to be too far off. But that is my decision, I was not forced into it.

• Like x 3
  14. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Fun fact, it can see them thanks to the mobile eye 3 spec, as well as detect pedestrians. However, I do not believe the car does anything about it.

15. HumanGenome

HumanGenome Member

If by asking questions you mean getting a full blown demand to cease sales otherwise receive hefty fines, then yes, "questions."

He had no safety testing, no demonstrations, very cheap Chinese manufactured hardware on some pretty bold claims. NHTSA did all of his potential customers a favor by stepping in before anyone got hurt.

• Like x 1
  16. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

True, but then again on the other hand, maybe Tesla shouldn't advertise features until NHTSA gives them the ok? Save themselves and their customers some grief?