Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but AP1 has done this for several releases, certainly at least six months worth. This is not "new" functionality. And, perhaps only tangentially related, it does NOT show up on the release notes of AP1 the way it does on AP2.
Correct, that's exactly what started this thread, and what @jkennebeck was referring to: the update that was implemented well over a year ago, and documented in the manual at that time (which @jkennebeck also quoted in the OP, verbatim, from the manual for AP1). No one ever said it was "new" functionality. On the contrary, I had pointed out earlier that this 'feature' had been released quite a while ago.

With all the hype and nervous anticipation surrounding AP2, everyone assumes that every post about Autopilot has to be specifically about new EAP functionality, but @jkennebeck specifically stated his question was about an excerpt from his manual about AP1; not a new feature release in his latest firmware release notes.

I'm creating a service ticket today. I've asked if it could be a faulty onboard GPS system since it NEVER senses when I'm exiting and that the GPS system must be functioning for this feature to work properly. I'm going to take the car in and have them fix/replace the GPS sensors until it works. Warranty covered.

I'm creating a service ticket today. I've asked if it could be a faulty onboard GPS system since it NEVER senses when I'm exiting and that the GPS system must be functioning for this feature to work properly. I'm going to take the car in and have them fix/replace the GPS sensors until it works. Warranty covered.

Does your Nav work otherwise? Does it not show you where you are on the main screen map at all times? Does your Tesla app show you where the car is? Does your GPS aware homelink work as designed? If these work, your GPS is working.

You're talking here about an edge feature that may or may not be enabled for AP1, and everyone has a slightly different experience, which honestly could be this "exit feature" working, or something else entirely -- like the car just thinking it is changing lanes and TACC slowing the car down because of other cars or the curve of the road.

I really don't think you'll get very far at the Service center trying to get this "feature" working. Certainly not by replacing the GPS sensors, since they're probably working just fine for everything else.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
Does your Nav work otherwise? Does it not show you where you are on the main screen map at all times? Does your Tesla app show you where the car is? Does your GPS aware homelink work as designed? If these work, your GPS is working.

You're talking here about an edge feature that may or may not be enabled for AP1, and everyone has a slightly different experience, which honestly could be this "exit feature" working, or something else entirely -- like the car just thinking it is changing lanes and TACC slowing the car down because of other cars or the curve of the road.

I really don't think you'll get very far at the Service center trying to get this "feature" working. Certainly not by replacing the GPS sensors, since they're probably working just fine for everything else.
This is the only thing in the manual I've found that doesn't work. And if it works on some hw1 cars why not all?

Attachments

• IMG_20180709_115929.jpg
    IMG_20180709_115929.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 53
And if it works on some hw1 cars why not all?

I'm not convinced it "works on some" cars and not others. There are many factors that could be at play here that make it appear like this one feature is working. For all we know, it is working on your car, but for whatever reason, the roads where you've tried it never triggered the feature. Like I said, too many factors.

If there's some newer hardware or other constraint causing some cars to have it, and others not to have it, I don't think Tesla is going to just upgrade your car's hardware/sensors/whatever so the feature works for you. They'll just tell you that Autopilot is still beta software, and if something works or doesn't, well, that's beta software for you. It's certainly possible that the documentation was written for features not yet enabled, or partially enabled. Or partially rolled-out. The documentation isn't a contract that guarantees you that these things will work. You can take it to the SC, but I really don't think they will spend much time on this for you. Just my opinion.

Ok, I had to run some "errands" so I got to test this a bit several times.

This feature only works on TACC -- NOT on Autosteer.

I got it to work about 25% of the time out of about 12 trials.

I believe I satisfied all the criteria:
  • In right hand traffic,
  • engaging the right turn signal when
  • driving in the right-most lane
  • within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit
  • (on a controlled access road only, such as a highway or freeway),
Here's an example of where it clearly did not work. I was going 70mph, turned on the signal, started to exit, and the car did NOT slow down. I had to engage the brakes pretty hard to stop for the light:

I repeated this three times, same result.

But here's an example of where it did appear to work (same highway, next exit). Notice the car starting to slow down almost immediately after turning on the signal. The car, on TACC, continues to slow down around the curve, all by itself, all the way around the curve. At the end of the ramp/curve, you can see it start to re-accelerate for a moment, until it sees the stopped cars ahead of me.

I repeated this twice, same result.

There was one more exit further up where it appeared to work as described, but I don't have video of that one. That one was a standard right hand exit ramp without a curve. But every other exit ramp I tried tonight, it did not work as documented.

Is this the "Exit ramp feature" of AP1, or is this just TACC slowing down for a curve? I don't know. Does the highway data that says it's a valid exit ramp vary from exit to exit? What are the criteria used internally to engage this feature? What are the criteria to cause it not to engage? Really without knowing the code (or psuedo-code) of exactly how this works, I wouldn't expect or depend on it working "every time".

Also, I'm not sure how useful this "feature" is anyway. If it worked during Autosteer, I could see a slight benefit - you're nearing your exit, tap the signal, and the car slows down and steers up or down the exit ramp until it asks you to take over.

But on just TACC? You're already steering the car, and you have to take over in a few seconds anyway. Does it really help that much to have the car slow down for you when you hit an exit by using the turn signal? Just tap the brake, disengage AS or TACC, and navigate the ramp yourself. What does this save you, 2 to 4 seconds of not taking over complete control?

Even if is an AP1 feature, and it's not working, you're not really missing anything useful. It's just a cute parlor trick, really.

Is this the "Exit ramp feature" of AP1, or is this just TACC slowing down for a curve? I don't know.

The behavior doesn't seem to be any different than what TACC with/without AS engaged has been doing for years --- slowing for curves. Admittedly it has gotten better in recent releases, perhaps due to better map data. This is in contrast to how it is implemented on AP2 (with the supposedly new feature), where the car will slow, and stay slowed.

The behavior doesn't seem to be any different than what TACC with/without AS engaged has been doing for years --- slowing for curves. Admittedly it has gotten better in recent releases, perhaps due to better map data. This is in contrast to how it is implemented on AP2 (with the supposedly new feature), where the car will slow, and stay slowed.
Everyone that has been able to use it, has told you already, that it begins to slow the vehicle the moment the turn signal is applied, prior to being in the lane (exit ramp) that has a curve.
@HankLloydRight even stated that "...There was one more exit further up where it appeared to work as described, but I don't have video of that one. That one was a standard right hand exit ramp without a curve....".

Also, again, no one said it was a new feature for AP1, or *the* new feature just released for AP2. Looking back, the feature was introduced in 7.1. It was supposedly enhanced further in 8.0, and then further again in 8.1, however people noticed the opposite effect. It appeared to work less in 8.0, and no improvements in 8.1.

On a side note, I do have to agree with Hank; it looks like a cool feature on paper, however I really don't see the benefit in reality, unless it were to bring the car to a stop at the end of the ramp. On the contrary, it would seem like a potentially dangerous feature; as one might engage their turn signal, the car start it's deceleration process, and the driver become complacent, assuming the car will confiture to slow and stop, requiring an emergency takeover.