Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the manual:
"In right hand traffic, engaging the right turn
signal when driving in the right-most lane
within 164 feet (50 meters) of an exit (on a
controlled access road only, such as a highway
or freeway), causes Traffic-Aware Cruise
Control to assume you are exiting. As a result,
Traffic-Aware Cruise Control begins to slow
down the vehicle."

First question, does anyone have an HW1 S that does this at present time?
Next question, is this ever coming to HW1 cars?

For me, this works maybe 25 to 50% of the time on one particular off ramp (I-80 West to Highway 113 North in Davis). When it does work, the car slows down due to the curvature of the ramp. I don’t have any luck with other off ramps.

It a future feature, to be delivered right after AP2 FSD, along with AP1 "summon will find you anywhere on private property". :rolleyes:

It's a Tesla, manuals for Beta features are outdated (or sometimes not valid for the next 20 years) before they are published. The way you know how AP1 works is to try it out while watching it very, very attentively to make sure you don't end up in an accident. Repeat after each software update.

Last edited:
No one knows whether it'll happen or not. Many speculate there will be no more major improvements for AP1, as Tesla and MobilEye have went separate ways, and Tesla is pushing the AP2 hardware to have some FSD features.

HW/AP1 was also "supposed" to be able to come pick you up at your front door after navigating itself out of the garage. :rolleyes:

It does, as long as your garage is in front of your front door, oriented perpendicular to your front door, and within 40 feet of your front door, and you write your own script to initiate summon based on your calendar. ;)

It does, as long as your garage is in front of your front door, oriented perpendicular to your front door, and within 40 feet of your front door, and you write your own script to initiate summon based on your calendar. ;)
Yep, it will also will autonomously drive you to work as long as your work is within 40 feet of your garage in a straight line. FSD delivered, and before August too!

Mine seemed to do that slowing down for a few weeks between the last two software updates. It has not done it lately. I am on 2018.21.9 and had been on 2018.18 for about 3 weeks in May.

I am just as glad it does not do it. During the period it seemed to be doing that, the car slowed so drastically and/or prematurely, that a couple of times I was concerned I would get hit from behind. I turned of the AP and managed the exit myself after that.

Full disclosure: I only experienced this behavior, or at least only noticed this behavior, at one particular exit that is at the top of a grade on I-95. So the deceleration may have been aggravated by the grade. That is, limited power may have caused the car to slow more than intended.

It certainly doesn't do it on AP1. I had an AP2 loaner a few weeks ago, and on the exit you will see "max speed" decrease as you progress along the ramp.

That being said I can't think of any technological reason why AP1 couldn't support this feature.

It certainly doesn't do it on AP1...
As others here have already posted, it most certainly does, just rarely at best. There are a couple ramps that it works on for me, but out of the 50k miles driven, that's it, just a couple. I remember when Musk announced it's arrival (can't remember the exact firmware revision now). It was announced as a new feature available today, not as a pipe dream, but that's what it became. They really should just remove that section from the manual...

I've never actually tried this because it's so counter how AP/TACC works best for me.

I typically only use AP on road trips, and usually by the time I've entered a populated area I've already switched to TACC only. Then by the time I've gotten close the exit I'm manually driving because I like to drive manually for the last mile or two to restore the feeling.

On short trips I'm usually only use TACC only, and I like the sensation of disengaging TACC on the exit. Where I time it perfectly for the corner coming up.

It feels so natural, and elegant.

I have had pretty good luck with exits.

I signal a few seconds before I would normally turn the wheel and I noticed that the car hugs the right side of the lane and exits. This works fantastic when moving between highways.

I've never seen it slow down. What is that even supposed to mean?

As others here have already posted, it most certainly does, just rarely at best. There are a couple ramps that it works on for me, but out of the 50k miles driven, that's it, just a couple. I remember when Musk announced it's arrival (can't remember the exact firmware revision now). It was announced as a new feature available today, not as a pipe dream, but that's what it became. They really should just remove that section from the manual...
It absolutely does not. With AP2, you see MAX speed progressively decrease from its original setting as you continue down the ramp. AP1 does not do this...on any intersection. Will it slow down, yes, but only because of the curves in the ramp, not due to a predetermined deceleration profile.

It absolutely does not. With AP2, you see MAX speed progressively decrease from its original setting as you continue down the ramp. AP1 does not do this...on any intersection. Will it slow down, yes, but only because of the curves in the ramp, not due to a predetermined deceleration profile.
You're still wrong, and I am not the only one that has experienced this feature working exactly as described in the owner's manual for AP1. You are one person, and I feel confident saying that you have not driven even a small fraction of all the exit ramps across the country. That said, although technically it absolutely does function, realistically I agree that we should just say that it doesn't. This, due to those of us that have experienced it work, it's only worked on maybe 3% of the ramps we've taken.

To be clear, there are 2 ramps that it started working for me, on the day I received the new firmware that added this feature. It has absolutely nothing to do with the curvature of the ramp, at all. I engage the turn signal approximately 2 seconds before the freeway exit lane begins. The speed begins to slowdown immediately. It continues to slowdown, while traveling straight, prior to the exit ramp beginning to curve. Other's have noted this behavior as well.

And just because AP2 acts a certain way, does not mean that AP1 would display the exact same way. We have seen plenty of scenarios where the end result is the same, but what you see is different, between AP2 & AP1. Of course, AP2, being Tesla's own system, and being what they have been focused on, would eventually be an improvement on what AP1 does and displays. So, yes, AP1 doesn't display the max speed change when the car decelerates, but that doesn't mean it isn't decelerating.