Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Radar With No Gasket?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my original AP1 radar (v3.3) replaced with the updated v5 module. When they replaced it, they left out the gasket. I thought this was a mistake but when I inquired they said "it does not come with the new radar when replaced... The reasoning is that it becomes dislodged... and causes interference."

Has anybody seen a radar sans gasket on AP1 cars or been told similar? I'm a little worried about exposure to the elements (especially given the radar's position) and want to ensure there isn't a misunderstanding somewhere.

Without gasket:

upload_2018-1-16_11-26-56.png

With gasket (found via Google images):
upload_2018-1-16_11-28-28.png

Never seen this before. Looks bad. The SC actually did this? Did u specifically ask for the facelift radar?

Its a different radar in many aspects, most noteably pre-facelift radars come with built in heating. Looks like u got one thats supposed to be mounted behind the facelift panel.

Btw what do u mean by «v5»? And what the heck is that glass or shiny transparent plastic?

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: robby and croman
Never seen this before. Looks bad. The SC actually did this? Did u specifically ask for the facelift radar?

Its a different radar in many aspects, most noteably pre-facelift radars come with built in heating. Looks like u got one thats supposed to be mounted behind the facelift panel.

Btw what do u mean by «v5»? And what the heck is that glass or shiny transparent plastic?

Yes, the SC did this. I did not make any specific requests. By "v5" I just mean that it's the fifth revision of the unit (white sticker on back). The old one was 3.3. The plastic surface is a little different, though it's exaggerated in the photo.

Thanks for raising the point about heating. I'll inquire about that.

Looks weird... and fragile. One rock and it's gone.

The mount is exactly the same. The only thing that's missing is the gasket which does not provide any structural support.

But yes, the mount point on pre-facelift AP1 cars is weak. That's the reason mine was replaced -- impact with some sort of road debris. The technician said they've seen a handful of broken mounts.

Update (and good news) in case anyone else finds themself in this situation:

I confirmed with another service center that:
1. The updated radar is the correct part for a non-facelift AP1 car (and any other car produced before August '17)
2. The gasket removal is also correct. Tesla calls it a "beauty gasket" and there is an official Tesla service bulletin instructing its removal to prevent ice and snow buildup and interference from dislodging. I was shown photographic evidence of the removal instructions from the bulletin. If a customer requests (presumably for aesthetic reasons), they will try to get an old part and install it, but Tesla's recommendation is to forego it.

We drive over 20k miles/year, many in New England winters -- I'll do whatever I can to keep the radar functional in bad weather!

I would like to close by thanking Tesla Watertown and Tesla Dedham. Both were extremely helpful and patient in answering my questions and, despite my initial skepticism, in complete lock step with each other about what the proper parts and procedures were.

Oh my, I forgot to post a big update here. #1 in the post above is no longer correct (I cannot edit it, but I will try to find a mod who can).

I had lingering doubts after the above post and escalated it, and someone in Freemont discovered a mistake in the Tesla parts manual. The correct radar for a pre-Facelift vehicle is BOSCH FOWARD RADAR (1038224-00-B). If the part description says "NO HEATER," you have the wrong radar! Tesla made good on this, but I wanted to correct here for the record.

Oh my, I forgot to post a big update here. #1 in the post above is no longer correct (I cannot edit it, but I will try to find a mod who can).

I had lingering doubts after the above post and escalated it, and someone in Freemont discovered a mistake in the Tesla parts manual. The correct radar for a pre-Facelift vehicle is BOSCH FOWARD RADAR (1038224-00-B). If the part description says "NO HEATER," you have the wrong radar! Tesla made good on this, but I wanted to correct here for the record.

Hi robby, I appreciate you coming back to update this. My S is in the SC right now from the radar being dislodged from its mount and the sensor requires replacement. When I google the part number you mentioned 1038224-00-B, the available results show as v3.3. Is that the correct part version actually or is it still the case that there a new v5 that is the same Tesla part number that’s recommended?

This morning the SC told me that the radar would be replaced with the same part as is originally on the car, but when I asked if they had a newer revision of the part, the guy asked around a bit and it turned out that Tesla has a newer revision available but it would take like 2 weeks to arrive in AZ as they don’t keep it in stock.

Hi robby, I appreciate you coming back to update this. My S is in the SC right now from the radar being dislodged from its mount and the sensor requires replacement. When I google the part number you mentioned 1038224-00-B, the available results show as v3.3. Is that the correct part version actually or is it still the case that there a new v5 that is the same Tesla part number that’s recommended?

This morning the SC told me that the radar would be replaced with the same part as is originally on the car, but when I asked if they had a newer revision of the part, the guy asked around a bit and it turned out that Tesla has a newer revision available but it would take like 2 weeks to arrive in AZ as they don’t keep it in stock.

I suspect v3.3 is correct for your vehicle. The v5 I posted originally is for facelift models. 1038224-00-B (aka v3.3) is what they installed in my car on Feb 13, 2018.

If they are telling you there is a new version, inquire very carefully about whether it has a heater. I think this is where they went wrong with me the first time -- the parts catalogue indicates that v5 is an updated version of v3.3 (and in some respects I'm sure it is, but it lacks a heater).

TL;DR: I would stick with the v3.3 radar. If you ask for an updated version, ask them to make absolutely sure that it is heated.