Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 -- red and yellow lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would guess too that the camera may theoretically be better at noticing a *change* in position of the signal versus the absolute signal state.
absolute signal state isn't really that hard, it simply compares the intensity it gets from each of the lights to know which one is "on" it doesn't need to see a change of state to do that. It's not any harder than the other image recognition it does to pull a speed limit sign out of the background or read the text on it. or the same for noticing lines on the road.

absolute signal state isn't really that hard, it simply compares the intensity it gets from each of the lights to know which one is "on" it doesn't need to see a change of state to do that. It's not any harder than the other image recognition it does to pull a speed limit sign out of the background or read the text on it. or the same for noticing lines on the road.
I think you're trivializing the problem.... There's a lot of multistack lights, horizontally mounted ones, ones with different arrows, light poles that are on the side but not overhead, etc etc etc.

Reactions: mrElbe
The photocells in a camera sensors only pickup light intensity. The sensor itself can't distinguish color, only intensity. The way a camera sees in color is by placing filters over each photocell, and then measuring the intensity of that specific wavelength at that specific photocell. I highly doubt the system would be looking specifically for the color red (although it could use a red filter as a secondary validation), It would most likely be looking for the higher intensity of light coming from one of the three circles/squares in the traffic light. In the USA, traffic lights are always Red, Yellow, Green; either top to bottom, or left to right. Now, to complicate things, There are traffic lights with more than three circles/squares, and I don't really think there is a specific standard on that. I've seen different configurations of traffic lights with more than three lights. But, I do believe that the first two are always Red - Yellow, and then after that is where I've seen it differ with green arrows, or even a fourth light which is another red light....

Actually, the articles and posts I've read suggest that both Mobileye and Tesla Vision have opted to go with grayscale except for red - a fraction (1 in 4?) of the pixels have filters to detect red light only, the rest see everything and thus have only an intensity, no color.

Assuming that is correct, stopping for red lights and stop signs is entirely reasonable to expect eventually for all versions of AP. AP1 may not know when it is safe to go at a red light, and won't know at a stop sign, so I'd expect they'll just drop the car into "hold" until the driver sees it is okay and taps the accelerator.

Last edited:
I think you're trivializing the problem.... There's a lot of multistack lights, horizontally mounted ones, ones with different arrows, light poles that are on the side but not overhead, etc etc etc.
in addition the individual lights "burn" at differing intensities, some are led and some are incandescent and shine at different brightness and color levels. all greens are not equal.

Actually, the articles and posts I've read suggest that both Mobileye and Tesla Vision have opted to go with grayscale except for red - a fraction (1 in 4?) of the pixels have filters to detect red light only, the rest see everything and thus have only an intensity, no color.

Assuming that is correct, stopping for red lights and stop signs is entirely reasonable to expect eventually for all versions of AP. AP1 may not know when it is safe to go at a red light, and won't know at a stop sign, so I'd expect they'll just drop the car into "hold" until the driver sees it is okay and taps the accelerator.
I think you're confusing the hardware capability, with Tesla's willingness to implement.

The hardware is absolutely capable of every single thing that Elon promised at the D event, but in every software update after 7.1 came out the car has gotten LESS capable, not more.

The odds of us seeing this functionality added are zero.

Reading lines on the road isn't trivial either, but the car does it, nor is picking out speed limit signs, but the car finds those too. Not only that, but it reads both lane markings, and speed limit signs in various different jurisdictions around the world that aren't all the same. I'm not saying it's easy, I'm just saying it's no harder than all the other things they already do. It's also even easier if they're only looking for red lights, and not other colours because no matter how many lights in the cluster, red is always the top, or the left (depending on horizontal or vertical mounting)

Either way though, whether the hardware can do it or not isn't in question, Mobileye has demonstrated the capability on this chipset, and released their own aftermarket product that does it (notifies you, doesn't stop the car). The only question is how they've implemented it, and if there's any chance at all that Tesla will ever chose to use it.

The hardware is absolutely capable of every single thing that Elon promised at the D event, but in every software update after 7.1 came out the car has gotten LESS capable, not more.

The odds of us seeing this functionality added are zero.

Time will tell.

I actually disagree with both of your points here - my experience is that AP is a lot better now than it was on 7.1 when I first got the car, though the actual features added have been minimal (display showing trucks and motorcycles vs cars, 3d car animations.)

Yes, Tesla added a nagging and three strikes system to address real safety concerns caused by folks abusing the system and not paying attention, and created a speed limit for divided highways.

Yes, we're all aware that you're very mad at Tesla for doing so.

No, I don't believe that means that 7.1 is the ultimate high water mark for AP1 functionality and no future version will ever provide improvements. :)

The primary way to tell which light is the red one vs yellow and green is the position, not the color. Only the people that can see colors use them to know whether to stop or not.

GSP