TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP1 Side Collision Avoidance Gone?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by andyaycw, Aug 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM.

1. andyaycw

andyaycw Member

I did a search and didn't see any recent threads on AP1 side collision avoidance, so here goes...

For AP1 cars, is side collision avoidance gone for good or just temporarily? (I did find a thread referencing Tesla temporarily removing it for data collection purposes in preparation for its AP2 cars, but that was awhile ago)

I was reading through the manual the other day (via my car's center screen) and noticed that under "Collision Avoidance", it only mentions Forward Collision Warning and AEB. I could find nothing about side collision avoidance and am pretty sure it used to be there.

Thanks

2. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I'm not sure what thread you're referring to.

I'm also not sure if you could ever say it had side collision avoidance to start with because it was never that effective.

But, I haven't seen anything change with my AP1 car. It has side monitoring that works really poorly like it always has.

Now I know it wasn't there in the beginning with AP2 cars, and it took them awhile to implement. But, nothing disappeared from HW1 cars.

3. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Actually it did, but you may not have noticed it if your car started off with firmware 7.0 or later. The feature was called Blind Spot Warning.

In 2015, when we were still on firmware 6.x, and AP-equipped cars had TACC (but not yet Autosteer), Blind Spot Warning showed some curved warning lines next to the speedometer when it detected a car coming up alongside you, and would beep if it detected a potential collision. That feature did disappear from Settings when 7.0 was released. There are still some colored arcs that show up around the mini-car in the instrument panel display if you get close to other vehicles or obstacles, but there's no on/off switch for it anymore.

[​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
  4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Weee!

And no audible warning anymore. :(

• Like x 1
  5. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

Disappointing. One of the primary reasons I upgraded to an MS w/AP...

With all the hype and language Tesla claims about safety, you would think this would be a priority.

Seems there is never any consequence when Tesla doesn't deliver on their promises/advertised features.

• Love x 1
  6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

In my case if it is gone I haven't noticed because the side collision system for me is useless. the visual warning is in the display and not audible. when I am driving, even with AP engaged, I am looking out the front or if changing lanes into the mirrors, never do I ever look down to where the warning is displayed.

• Like x 2
  7. andyaycw

andyaycw Member

Hm, interesting observation. Side collision warning used to have an audible warning for me whenever a car got too close to me say, in my blind spot. It would also steer the car slightly to the rightmost (or leftmost) edge of my lane (as long as it was clear) to help avoid any potential side impact.

I have a 2015 Model S, AP1 obviously, and I had this side collision avoidance trigger twice within my first few weeks of driving the car. It was both an audible warning, and the steering wheel would get a bit tighter (similar to how it feels when AP is activated now) and if there was room, the car would steer to the rightmost/leftmost edge of my lane to help avoid any potential collision.

It probably wasn't the most useful feature, but sometimes, that extra couple of inches can help avoid an actual collision or contact with another vehicle...sounds like Tesla may have quietly removed this feature from one of the major software updates?

8. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I have a late 15 as well and I have never had or heard any audible warning. then again I rarely if ever have any sort of issue going into an occupied lane.

9. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

They no longer appear to mention blind spot warnings or side collision warnings, at any rate. The manual page shown above for the Blind Spot Warning feature was from the 6.2 release, which is what you would have likely been running for your first few weeks of ownership in 2015.

I was wrong on the timing: the feature was still in the 7.0 and 7.1 manuals, and it was called Side Collision Warning instead of Blind Spot Warning:

[​IMG]

It appears to have gone away sometime in 8.0, not 7.x. Forward Collision Warning is still present.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1