Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 slows down violently entering school zone - but not during school hours

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my AP1 S75 surprise me the other day by slowing from 45 to 25 quite violently as I entered a school zone. Problem was the school zone speed limit is only applicable during school hours and this was not during those hours. I know it’s a lot to ask for my car to know what hours a certain speed limit is applicable but would be nice. Anyone else have this happen? Any solution short of being ready for it?

That must have really surprised you, I think it is one of those edge cases, unfortunately I think it may happen no matter what system is being used in the near future. All signs are read without a particular time attached to them. Who knows, Tesla might surprise us on this situation in the future....

The annoying thing for me is that once it slows down, it won't resume after leaving the school zone until it sees a speed limit sign again, which can be a long time. It would be nice if it could recognize "End School Zone" signs. Minor quibble, I probably shouldn't be on AP1 in a school zone anyway:).

Had my AP1 S75 surprise me the other day by slowing from 45 to 25 quite violently as I entered a school zone. Problem was the school zone speed limit is only applicable during school hours and this was not during those hours. I know it’s a lot to ask for my car to know what hours a certain speed limit is applicable but would be nice. Anyone else have this happen? Any solution short of being ready for it?
It’s an AP1 limitation, I fear. I’ve learned to watch for it.
That must have really surprised you, I think it is one of those edge cases, unfortunately I think it may happen no matter what system is being used in the near future. All signs are read without a particular time attached to them. Who knows, Tesla might surprise us on this situation in the future....
AP1 has been slowing down in schools zones for years. It does not know school hours.
I keep waiting for my AP1 S70D to slow down when the speed limit drops (school zone or not), but it never seems to. Do I have something mis-set, perhaps?
The annoying thing for me is that once it slows down, it won't resume after leaving the school zone until it sees a speed limit sign again, which can be a long time. It would be nice if it could recognize "End School Zone" signs. Minor quibble, I probably shouldn't be on AP1 in a school zone anyway:).

"Final answer"
From Gridlok: AP1 works better on the highway.

Works better you bet and was, will never be FSD and you guys are all taking everyone's lives at risk and your own.

AP-1 or any AP is currently to not be used in any city. I was reading this and I was like what country do they have school zones along Highways? School crossing guards using highway crossing for the children where the speed limit is reduced to 20mph for kids crossing.

No wonder people are killing themselves in Tesla's. Tesla world got real quiet after the CR report came out. Here is partly why.