Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1: Spotify Sluggish: Software or Early MCU1 failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the latest updates I struggle to press buttons and play music on Spotify. I've already tried resetting my car to no avail. Playing music through bluetooth and Slacker is fine though.

Is this related to bad software or is it an early indication of MCU1 failing?

Will replacing the MCU with the $500 Tegra board help with performance or will it be the same? Is this also prone to failing after time?

Any AP1 owners upgrade to MCU2? I already did this for my AP2 MX and it feels like night and day. Obviously a no brainier for MX with full self driving vs an AP1 MS....

I also had Spotify issues with 2020.36, logged a service call and they logged in remotely and tidied up.

They said MMC looked ok and had tested/ checked stats on this.

The issue I had is MCU would crash intermittently- I found I could crash it consistently by searching for “Id”. They said they seen this with searches with symbols in them- ie $, but not with just letters.
Does seem better since they done housekeeping.

It appears to be software after messing around with it some more. Clicking on anything in favorited songs list will cause Spotify to not respond while playing any recommended playlists will work just fine.

Can anyone else reproduce this?

With that being said, no issues on the wife's MCU2 X.

Disable tracking on the navigation. (just use your finger and move to the right on the map). All media functions work fine then. Problem is MCU1 can't handle the streaming functions while constantly rendering the map in the background

Disable tracking on the navigation. (just use your finger and move to the right on the map).
Yes I'd read that tip on here before, not sure I really notice much difference actually.
Here's an idea, how about giving people the option to not have the nav showing all the time....you know like previous software would allow.
Their software team is really sloppy, or under misdirection to just do it and not think.

I know Spotify has forever been terrible on MCU1, but wondering if anyone who upgraded MCU1 to MCU2 can comment if Spotify now runs better? (or is it same).

I have MCU1/AP1 and even though latest firmware 2020.48.12.1 made some small improvements to Spotify menus and organizatiton (eg, artists finally list alpabetically, etc), my biggest daily frustration with the car is that Spotify frequently just quits playing after a while - literally almost every time I drive the car. To resume playing, I usually have to select another audio source like Slacker, then go back to Spotify and it will eventually start working again (sometimes takes several tries).

I don't yet qualify for the MCU1 Tegra swap, since Tesla doesn't seem to want to do that until MCU1 actually fully dies. And MCU2 upgrade won't really give me much new functionality since AP1 and I don't really care about games or netflix. But wondering if MCU2 upgrade would finally make driving the car and listening to Spotify uninterrupted? Or, would just getting the MCU1 swap improve Spotify anyhow?

I know Spotify has forever been terrible on MCU1, but wondering if anyone who upgraded MCU1 to MCU2 can comment if Spotify now runs better? (or is it same).

I have MCU1/AP1 and even though latest firmware 2020.48.12.1 made some small improvements to Spotify menus and organizatiton (eg, artists finally list alpabetically, etc), my biggest daily frustration with the car is that Spotify frequently just quits playing after a while - literally almost every time I drive the car. To resume playing, I usually have to select another audio source like Slacker, then go back to Spotify and it will eventually start working again (sometimes takes several tries).

I don't yet qualify for the MCU1 Tegra swap, since Tesla doesn't seem to want to do that until MCU1 actually fully dies. And MCU2 upgrade won't really give me much new functionality since AP1 and I don't really care about games or netflix. But wondering if MCU2 upgrade would finally make driving the car and listening to Spotify uninterrupted? Or, would just getting the MCU1 swap improve Spotify anyhow?

Ive used mcu2 and spotify and streaming works flawless

Reactions: 2101Guy
Disable tracking on the navigation. (just use your finger and move to the right on the map). All media functions work fine then. Problem is MCU1 can't handle the streaming functions while constantly rendering the map in the background

did a bit more playing with this, and I don't think the nav tracking alone has anything to do with my Spotify woes on MCU1. Did what you suggested (moved my location way off the map, also turned of live traffic) and still have Spotify frequently just refusing to play without switching source to Slacker and back, sometimes multiple times. Sometimes Spotify plays for a while but then quits 10min later. Also sometimes I can't get Spotify to reliably play while just parked and not going anywhere.

what makes it worse is that many of my drives are short duration, e.g. short 10min drives - more so especially in this past year of mostly stay-at-home. Almost every drive I find myself fussing with the touchscreen while driving (and taking eyes off the road), and many times I never get Spotify to work reliably at all within that 5-10min drive before I arrive at my destination. Super annoying to spend 100% of a drive just trying to listen to music. It's been like this ever since Spotify was first added as a feature (Oct 2019). So not convinced it's soley due to degradation of the eMMC over time...

and so I'm wondering if MCU2 eliminates these problems, If so, considering if the MCU2 updgrade might be worth it for me, even though my car is AP1 and therefore won't get all the other new features with the upgrade

did a bit more playing with this, and I don't think the nav tracking alone has anything to do with my Spotify woes on MCU1. Did what you suggested (moved my location way off the map, also turned of live traffic) and still have Spotify frequently just refusing to play without switching source to Slacker and back, sometimes multiple times. Sometimes Spotify plays for a while but then quits 10min later. Also sometimes I can't get Spotify to reliably play while just parked and not going anywhere.

what makes it worse is that many of my drives are short duration, e.g. short 10min drives - more so especially in this past year of mostly stay-at-home. Almost every drive I find myself fussing with the touchscreen while driving (and taking eyes off the road), and many times I never get Spotify to work reliably at all within that 5-10min drive before I arrive at my destination. Super annoying to spend 100% of a drive just trying to listen to music. It's been like this ever since Spotify was first added as a feature (Oct 2019). So not convinced it's soley due to degradation of the eMMC over time...

and so I'm wondering if MCU2 eliminates these problems, If so, considering if the MCU2 updgrade might be worth it for me, even though my car is AP1 and therefore won't get all the other new features with the upgrade

Yes mcu2 will fix all of this

Reactions: 2101Guy and f-stop
So glad to see somebody having the exact same Spotify problem. Same issue, Short drive, Spotify keeps stopping, I need to go out of it to another source and go back in and fuss with it just like you do. I found this got significantly worse with the last software upgrade or two. Tesla checked out my MCU1 and MMU, and they told me it was fine, plenty of buffer, they just cleaned up some things and told me everything would be great. Unfortunately, Spotify continues to be a major issue. I’m hoping it’s actually a software issue and gets repaired with the next update. Then Again, I’m hoping to win the lottery which at this juncture seems a little bit more likely.

So glad to see somebody having the exact same Spotify problem. Same issue, Short drive, Spotify keeps stopping, I need to go out of it to another source and go back in and fuss with it just like you do. I found this got significantly worse with the last software upgrade or two. Tesla checked out my MCU1 and MMU, and they told me it was fine, plenty of buffer, they just cleaned up some things and told me everything would be great. Unfortunately, Spotify continues to be a major issue. I’m hoping it’s actually a software issue and gets repaired with the next update. Then Again, I’m hoping to win the lottery which at this juncture seems a little bit more likely.
I was beginning to think I was the only unlucky one...
Yeah, I'd go with the lottery being more likely -- I don't hold any hope of this going away with a software update... I gave up hoping they'd fix 4-5 year old problems with the USB music player long ago, hoping Spotify would be some sort of relief for my simple request to play music in the car, but I just traded one set of bugs Tesla doesn't care about for another set