Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 updates for 2016 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still waiting for the 2018.12 update and new maps for my 2016 Model X, but I recently got both for my 2014 Model S. So it's definitely coming. As for AP1, it's reached the limit of what the hardware is capable of. That's not a bad thing as I still prefer AP1 to AP2.

Reactions: Milin1609
Given Tesla's software practices over the nearly three years I have had my car, I doubt we will see much if any changes to AP1. They are too busy doing the next "big thing." The resources were obviously working mostly on Model 3 for quite a while. The next major task may be Model Y, the Semi, or the Roadster (or all three). I know they have promised new navigation and so on, but where is the new browser software they promised -- what, a year or so ago? The audio problems have been a sore point for every owner of all models, for years -- and yet Tesla has yet to focus enough attention on that system to make any meaningful improvement. (Some might even argue that it has gotten worse.)
Tesla is not unique in this regard. Most software vendors I have worked with have always been focused on the latest product, and mostly did little or nothing on legacy products.

Maybe not true. At the time AP1 appeared MobileEye was seeing stop signs but Tesla’s implementation did not expose that ability to the user. Tesla and MobileEye parted ways before this feature could be added.

True, though no guarantee Tesla would have implemented that even if it was possible. Tesla has always described Autopilot as a highway feature rather than a city street feature.

Given Tesla's software practices over the nearly three years I have had my car, I doubt we will see much if any changes to AP1. They are too busy doing the next "big thing." The resources were obviously working mostly on Model 3 for quite a while. The next major task may be Model Y, the Semi, or the Roadster (or all three). I know they have promised new navigation and so on, but where is the new browser software they promised -- what, a year or so ago? The audio problems have been a sore point for every owner of all models, for years -- and yet Tesla has yet to focus enough attention on that system to make any meaningful improvement. (Some might even argue that it has gotten worse.)
Tesla is not unique in this regard. Most software vendors I have worked with have always been focused on the latest product, and mostly did little or nothing on legacy products.
the latest update i noticed that the audio controls for bass, mid, etc..now only go to 8 not 11. oh and my audio did the funny noise thing again which forced me to reboot the center stack.. :D

According to http://firmware.teslafi.com/, there are number of AP1 cars (about 18% of the entire "registered fleet") currently running 2018.12+. We just need Tesla to send out the "Manual Update" feature for those who love the bleeding-edge firmware.
firmware update.png

This may help. I’ve been video documenting ap1 and ap2 together for a while now. Ap1 is absolutely getting much better and one can assume it’ll continue to develop along side for some time. Ap2 isn’t recognizing signs or objects yet, but when it does, it’s safe to say ap1 and ap2 will get stop sign recognition together

• Informative
Reactions: scsmx and David29