TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

AP1 updates for 2016 Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Milin1609, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Milin1609

Milin1609 Member

Seen so many very useful updates for AP2, but nothing for AP1. What ever updates, we have seen are mostly just minor. Nothing close like AP2. Any idea, when the new navigation update will be for AP1???

2. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

I'm still waiting for the 2018.12 update and new maps for my 2016 Model X, but I recently got both for my 2014 Model S. So it's definitely coming. As for AP1, it's reached the limit of what the hardware is capable of. That's not a bad thing as I still prefer AP1 to AP2.

• Like x 1
  3. Milin1609

Milin1609 Member

Thanks for the update. Glad to know, you like AP1 over AP2....

4. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

Maybe not true. At the time AP1 appeared MobileEye was seeing stop signs but Tesla’s implementation did not expose that ability to the user. Tesla and MobileEye parted ways before this feature could be added.

5. David29

David29 Supporting Member

Given Tesla's software practices over the nearly three years I have had my car, I doubt we will see much if any changes to AP1. They are too busy doing the next "big thing." The resources were obviously working mostly on Model 3 for quite a while. The next major task may be Model Y, the Semi, or the Roadster (or all three). I know they have promised new navigation and so on, but where is the new browser software they promised -- what, a year or so ago? The audio problems have been a sore point for every owner of all models, for years -- and yet Tesla has yet to focus enough attention on that system to make any meaningful improvement. (Some might even argue that it has gotten worse.)
    Tesla is not unique in this regard. Most software vendors I have worked with have always been focused on the latest product, and mostly did little or nothing on legacy products.

• Like x 2
  6. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

True, though no guarantee Tesla would have implemented that even if it was possible. Tesla has always described Autopilot as a highway feature rather than a city street feature.

7. Fiver

Fiver Active Member

2018.12 made for a pretty nice improvement to AP1.

8. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

the latest update i noticed that the audio controls for bass, mid, etc..now only go to 8 not 11. oh and my audio did the funny noise thing again which forced me to reboot the center stack.. :D

9. David29

Really? i thought that was only for AP2 cars, at least the Autopilot-related changes. In any case we do not have it yet. So, maybe something to look forward to.

10. tangent

tangent Member

According to http://firmware.teslafi.com/, there are number of AP1 cars (about 18% of the entire "registered fleet") currently running 2018.12+. We just need Tesla to send out the "Manual Update" feature for those who love the bleeding-edge firmware. firmware update.png

11. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

im on 2018.12 with AP1, can confirm they made changes. feels a lot smoother now in terms of stopping/going and lane changing(not as aggressive). i like it

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

This may help. I’ve been video documenting ap1 and ap2 together for a while now. Ap1 is absolutely getting much better and one can assume it’ll continue to develop along side for some time. Ap2 isn’t recognizing signs or objects yet, but when it does, it’s safe to say ap1 and ap2 will get stop sign recognition together

• Informative x 2
  13. David29

Any improvement in the tendency to wander at the crest of hills? That was reported as improved for the AP2 cars. That is my biggest single annoyance.

14. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Yes. See video above, I have crazy hills in the mountains and ap1 goes right over no issue, the same as ap2

15. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

So what you're saying is........ I should try and find me a 2016 AP1 X huh? ;)

• Like x 1
  16. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

i have no personal experience with those types of roads, most of the roads i drive on daily are flat.