Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Tesla has AP2/2.5 to focus on, and given their divorce with Mobileye, will people using AP1 continue to see any improvements with the system? Will the v9 software add or improve anything for AP1? I hope we're not left with the system as is, but I could understand why they would want to move on to just focusing on the new version of the technology.

I think the most accurate answer is "no one [outside of Tesla] really knows".

I think the most common opinion is "no more significant updates."

AP1 owners have noted improvements (and regressions) on control systems over the past couple years. So evidence points that there is still some overlap in parts of AP on both systems and changes in one affect the other for now. As AP2 evolves, its reasonable to assume this overlap lowers and AP1 starts getting ignored more and more.

But no one really knows, and the people who really know haven't spoken up.

AP1 will/should get bug fixes and minor improvements but I doubt AP1 will get any major improvements. Tesla needs to put all their focus on AP2+ now. After all, the new owners getting AP2 are expecting new features and FSD which Tesla has not delivered on yet. So Tesla needs to focus on that.

It seems we still get updates developed by mobileeye.
This is a huge reason to prefer Tesla, over other companies that deliberately kill off older products to push newer.
Tesla is clearly the biggest fleet of mobileeye, and best connected to internet, there are mutual interests for mobileeye to get data, and Tesla, not to leave customers out in the cold.

It seems to me it's still improving, and it will be within the limits of this hardware.

Tesla has, and should have, great interest in avoiding "obsolescence by design" like most of the car vendors out there, it's a huge selling point.

A few years old , much too overpriced, primitive technology, luxury mercedes is still stuck with laughable navigation and media system.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Radar braking seems to be the one last area that AP1 is being tweaked. I'm sure speed limit and curve slowdown data and other ADAS tile updates will continue to benefit both AP1 and AP2.

But I would not expect them to be doing any more active feature work on AP1. That's a different codebase, different processor architecture, different system architecture (AP1 runs its control algorithms on the MobileEye camera's MIPS processor using a custom RTOS behind your rear view mirror… AP2 has that Linux-based APE 6-core ARM64 platform from nvidia)

AP1 still has significant false positives on overpasses and resultant unnecessary braking. Hoping for an eventual fix.

And I hope said eventual fix is not to just disable radar braking again :(

FWIW, I'm now comfortably allowing AP2 to deal with vans and trucks making oncoming left turns with AP engaged (pretty much the AP1 fatal accident situation). AP2 smoothly recognizes it as a stopped car from a distance and slows down, speeding back up once my lane is clear again.

This is all fairly new behavior in 2018.32 and beyond. Back in earlier builds, AP2 would sporadically detect such a situation and suddenly brake, but now it seems like it's actually recognizing this scenario and having a graceful response to it.

I still want to see Tesla make radar braking work as a crutch for AP1's limited vision capabilities. AP2 seems to be more leaning towards solving this with a more capable neural net as the primary strategy.

AP1 still has significant false positives on overpasses and resultant unnecessary braking. Hoping for an eventual fix.
Did you report those particular overpass locations to Tesla? I haven't seen false-positive braking due to overpasses in well over a year. The one location where I repeatedly saw it, and reported it (El Camino overpass on northbound Hwy 85 in Mountain View) no longer reproduces the issue.

Did you report those particular overpass locations to Tesla? I haven't seen false-positive braking due to overpasses in well over a year. The one location where I repeatedly saw it, and reported it (El Camino overpass on northbound Hwy 85 in Mountain View) no longer reproduces the issue.

i was hoping to free ride on other people reporting it.

it's a well traveled main highway into DC during commute. 66 in rosslyn before the bridge. I can t believe it hasnt by been reported by others more diligent than me

AP improvements related to the navigation database and other features not related to sensors could certainly be improved. And I do expect to see some improvement, as autosteer and summon are both still labeled "beta." Of course, trip planner is still labeled "beta" as well.

I don't expect new features. I only expect it will continue to do what it does today only incrementally better.

What Mitchell said. We don't officially know anything, but Tesla has made significant changes to performance for AP1 cars after the split.

My guess is they'll continue to bring any features that AP1 hardware is capable of without substantial changes to how it works over to AP1 cars as they develop it for AP2+.

I'm glad this was brought up, I do hope we continue to get updates! I know Mobileye hardware was teased being able to read stop signs and such even before AP was released. I don't expect FSD, but continued updates would be really appreciated... Especially since we're still in "Beta."