Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 Upgrade Disappeared From My Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spoke to a guy at Tesla just a bit ago. He wasn't aware of the upgrade being removed from My Tesla and he wasn't able to do the upgrade over the phone. Apparently they've completely stopped the AP1 upgrades and didn't even bother to tell frontline employees in.

Dunno. We shall see what happens when 8.1 is released.

So I ultimately decided to do the S60-S75 upgrade due to our upcoming trip. I had a hard time getting the payment to go through on My Tesla (Tesla said problem was with bank, Bank said problem was with Tesla) and ended up speaking to several different people. No one knew why the AP upgrade option was removed but one person did say to check back after the update at the end of this week. I have no clue if that was just a general suggestion of if they actually knew it would be back.

$9K. Reasoning for the upgrade that I swore I'd never need:

The original plan was for the S60 to just be my "around town" car and to replace my wifes midsize SUV (which was our travel car) with an X next summer. However, after a test drive, she decided the X was just too big for her. So that threw a wrench in my plan. We've also discovery that my S is much more comfortable to travel in than her SUV and between the trunk and the "frunk", actually has more storage. She's also completely fallen in love with the model 3. The final twist was Elon mentioning the v3 superchargers. I'm assuming that only the new battery tech they'll be introducing with the model 3 will be compatible.

Sooo... now our plan is to get her a Model 3 and we'll replace my S60 (now a 75) with an X100D (or whatever is top-end but not P at the time) once the X has the battery tech that allows for the very quick supercharger charging. That leaves us with my S as the travel car for a probably 2-3 years. The 60kw battery technically could have technically taken us everywhere we'd ever travel but a few legs between superchargers would have required us to travel at 80-90% speed, etc. The little bit of extra battery capacity with the upgrade should allow us to travel anywhere we want without having to drive slower.

That's also why I now want AP (for TACC) but can't get it...

I emailed Tesla support and said that it’s a glitch on the My tesla website. They said to contact a Service center to order and install it. When I contacted the Burbank SC, they quoted $5k to install AP1! Anyone else tried to upgrade recently?