Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 vs AP2(.5)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on 5.16 and have pretty much stopped using AP unless traffic is very slow stop and go or free flow with no one behind me. If I get a car following me at any reasonable distance I shut it off because it is now HARD phantom braking at random places and could cause an accident. I had an AP1 loaner for a few weeks about a month ago and it is so much more confident when braking. AP2 has 0 finesse and is entirely too jerky.
I had a guy come up next to me on Friday last week and was in a rage with his wife in the car I think because of the brake lights blinking...

AP2 becomes unreliable:
1) around bridges specifically travelling underneath them
2) driving into the sun- I suppose it blinds the camera and it will phantom brake like crazy
3) Dawn/Dusk scenarios that create long shadows (especially perpendicular across the roadway).. I guess it sees these and thinks it is an obstacle.
4) In an HOV lane where the exit ramp is off to the left. Every single time it tries to take the exit instead of staying on the hwy. AP1 much better in this scenario.
5) If another car slightly crosses into your lane (even plenty of distance ahead) it can sometimes slam on brakes...
6) Speed changes OMG. Limit drop from 70/65 to 55 it will just slam on brakes. This behavior sucks. I'd rather see it beep/flash and ask the driver to confirm that the current speed be maintained than just suddenly decide to go 55. I have to disengage AP every single day heading N on I75 into Atlanta right by the airport once I hit 285 the speed limit drops to 55... It's dangerous.

I'd also add that AP2 in stop and go situations will sometimes refuse to close the gap between my car and the one in front, causing me to have to push the accelerator so that drivers behind me don't become angry... It's almost like it deviates from the following distance you have set and won't close the gap, nor will it keep pace with the car ahead regardless of the set speed limit. I haven't quite figured out what causes this but it seems to happen when another lane is merging into the left...

I hardly ever ran into these problems with the AP1 car... Tesla still has a long way to go to reach parity with MobileEye... :-(

Last edited:
Another strange peculiarity that others have noted is that TACC doesn't seem to exhibit these behaviors as often, in fact it's pretty solid.. This leads me to believe it's a separate code base or something because it's almost night and day in terms of smoothness and accuracy from a stop/go accelerate/decelerate standpoint.