Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 vs. AP2

How much discount would convince you to go for AP1 vs. AP2 at this point?

• 5%

• 10%

• 15% or more

• Nothing will convince me

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For now, yes. But down the road you will have an AP2.0 vehicle with free supercharging, which will be much rarer than all AP1.0's for sale. So you'll probably break even in the end and you will also be to enjoy AP2.0 while owning the car. You might even be up a bit.

Can't say for sure. I think AP1 cars will still retain their values. It's still a solid electric car first in my mind. Still better than 99% of cars on the road.

Tesla clearly states for both AP1 and AP2, the driver is responsible and must stay alert. I am not at a point where I am going to not be alert or not in control with either autopilot option. For the above crash to happen, it is completely drivers fault in my opinion. He or she was not paying attention.

That's my point. You must be as alert as driving so, in my view, you might as well be driving with AP1.0 or you risk this. Plus, it's nice to say you will always be alert, but we all know momentary lapses of attention happen, and AP lulls you into them. With AP2.0 the sensors and processor will not allow this to happen, regardless of what Tesla is required to say for legal purposes.

Can't say for sure. I think AP1 cars will still retain their values. It's still a solid electric car first in my mind. Still better than 99% of cars on the road.

They are not retaining their value now. Once you drive one off the lot it depreciates, and not just a little, be it AP1.0 or AP2.0.

The question is whether the savings the OP will get on a AP1.0 will be worth more on resale than an AP2.0 car. So, let's say he saves $7k. When he goes to sell it three years from now, will he get an extra $7k over an identical AP1.0 car? I agree it's hard to say but I think he will. Plus, he gets to enjoy, and have the added confidence, in AP2.0. That's the only point I was trying to make.

Considering what AP2 will be down the line (even if the Tesla Network never materializes), I think it would be crazy to choose AP1.

Don't think about right now. Consider how you will feel when Tesla demonstrates the LA-NY autonomous road trip in 2017. Think about 3-4 years from now.

For me, it's not debatable.

That's my point. You must be as alert as driving so, in my view, you might as well be driving with AP1.0 or you risk this. Plus, it's nice to say you will always be alert, but we all know momentary lapses of attention happen, and AP lulls you into them. With AP2.0 the sensors and processor will not allow this to happen, regardless of what Tesla is required to say for legal purposes.

Yeah, safety is of concern. I like to think ultimately right now driver has to stay alert. Have been driving for now 25 years, no accidents and I drive pretty aggressively, but am very safe at the same time. There will come a time when technology will make driving obsolete, but I am not ready to give it up yet :)

They are not retaining their value now. Once you drive one off the lot it depreciates, and not just a little, be it AP1.0 or AP2.0.

The question is whether the savings the OP will get on a AP1.0 will be worth more on resale than an AP2.0 car. So, let's say he saves $7k. When he goes to sell it three years from now, will he get an extra $7k over an identical AP1.0 car? I agree it's hard to say but I think he will. Plus, he gets to enjoy, and have the added confidence, in AP2.0. That's the only point I was trying to make.

The difference is more than 7K. I pay less for pano ($500) and also AP1 being cheaper, the overall savings are around 10K for a similar AP2 car. BTW, I am OP and I am not sure one can say what the pricing will look like 4 years from now.

Considering what AP2 will be down the line (even if the Tesla Network never materializes), I think it would be crazy to choose AP1.

Don't think about right now. Consider how you will feel when Tesla demonstrates the LA-NY autonomous road trip in 2017. Think about 3-4 years from now.

For me, it's not debatable.

Not sure. At first I felt like I had to have AP2 for the above reason. But over time as I have been thinking after I ordered, I love to drive. In my daily commute I am always going to be driving. For long drives, all I really care for is TACC. Autosteer is a bonus. But then maybe once I see it, I will feel really stupid then :)

There will come a time when technology will make driving obsolete, but I am not ready to give it up yet :)

Yes, and that will actually be a sad day. Great if you have teenage kids, but sad if you like to drive like I do. Fortunately, I don't think I will be around to see it (I'm 50) but it will take some time to get all vehicles the required hardware. For a while, it will be like horses sharing the road with the automobile. Then horses were banned from most roads.

BTW, I am OP and I am not sure one can say what the pricing will look like 4 years from now.

Agreed. I'm just offering my 2 cents -- or perhaps a nickle since we abolished pennies up here. ;)

Yes, and that will actually be a sad day. Great if you have teenage kids, but sad if you like to drive like I do. Fortunately, I don't think I will be around to see it (I'm 50) but it will take some time to get all vehicles the required hardware. For a while, it will be like horses sharing the road with the automobile. Then horses were banned from most roads.

Agreed. I'm just offering my 2 cents -- or perhaps a nickle since we abolished pennies up here. ;)

Thanks for all your arguments. I know I have been arguing for AP1, but the geek in me is not letting me do it still.

I am pretty close to your age. My son will be driving in 2 years, but he wants to drive himself. I will get him a stick shift to start with and he can work his way up

I think we see no steering wheel cars in under 10 years. At least technology will be there. Not sure about regulations.

Reactions: Canuck
I think buying an AP1 S75D inventory now and replacing it with a Model 3 75D in Oct 2017 seems like a good idea. You will get less depreciation hit compared to buying new.

You could buy a new Model S 60D now and then upgrade it to a 75 in the future. That's also a good option but the Model 3 75D will be superior in terms of range, performance, technology, and design. However, the MS would have free supercharging and more cargo capacity.

Last edited:
I meant to say inventory instead CPO. The idea is you would be making use of the discount. If you are going to sell the Model S when you have your Model 3, the AP1 inventory route seems better.

Justg0:

Congratulations on your dilemma! (Great problem to have)
We have all faced these types of questions when buying our Tesla.
Luckily it's a win win, and no solution is wrong!

In these types of win-win issues: I read the tone of the person asking the question, when trying to help them make a decision

You have (in my opinion) already made up your mind.
You want the 75 with AP 1.0.
That makes more sense to you.

We are all arguing based on our personal desires and needs.
Tesla owners are early adopters, relatively affluent, and not price sensitive
Is it a surprise most here argue for the AP2.0 decision?

Ignore them. You have made a great argument for the 75D version.
You laid out why a AP2.0 on a 60D is worth less to you than the extended range, increased options of the 75D with AP1.0

In fact, you're making me take a peek at those AP1.0 deals...

Congratulations!

I started this thread as I wanted to see how other people feel about getting an AP1 car over AP2. When I ordered AP2, the discounts on AP1 cars were so little that it made no sense to get them. But I felt that at some point Tesla would need to discount them and since I can change my order once, I thought if I get a good deal before my car comes, I will jump on it.

Now the deals are here, but this has been a really hard choice. All along it has been clear to me that I don't need AP2 and the discounts on AP1 car make lot of financial sense. You can see that in my posts so far.

But i woke up and was still as unsure as before. So I am going to just go with my heart and not my head. I live my life having no regrets. 75 AP1 I can't upgrade. But 60 AP2 I can upgrade to 75 later. It's going to be a bit annoying to wait at supercharger till I do, but on my daily drives it won't matter.

I love technology. I grew up watching startrek. I work with technology all day. So in the end, it was just too hard to give up on the coolness of AP2 and hopefully FSD someday.

AP2 it is.

Now only if Tesla can transport me to Mars one day!