Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 vs. AP2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article:

"The 2017 BMW 5-series with "Driving Assistant Plus," 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class with "Drive Pilot," 2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2016 Model S with "Autopilot" (software versions 8.1 and 7.1, respectively) and 2018 Volvo S90 with "Pilot Assist" were evaluated."

The AP1 (2016 Model S) and AP2 (2018 Model 3) cars weren't running the same version of code, so you can't really make the blanket statement "AP2 beats AP1" based on that evidence.

(I personally am not claiming that either AP1 or AP2 is better by any particular measure. I've only driven AP1 and non-AP cars.)

Bruce.
Fair point that the AP1 software wasn’t the latest, but I don’t recall it changing that much from 7 to 8. While this comparison isn’t perfect, I don’t know of any other better comparison and I don’t the differences from 7 to 8 were that much for AP1. But I could just be forgetting.

The main issue with AP1 was its problems with hills. I do recall that that hill problem was improved for AP1 but not totally solved with 8.1 as it appears to have been for AP2 on 8.1

Last edited:
Reactions: bmah
The main issue with AP1 was its problems with hills. I do recall that that hill problem was improved for AP1 but not totally solved with 8.1 as it appears to have been for AP2 on 8.1
My 2015 AP1 on latest firmware on a straight farm road with several rolling dips (for heavy rain water to flow across) behaved erratically and almost veered off road (costs me a wheel alignment).

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark